    sucked when it came to shutter lag (including the G1,2,3,4 - never got
    a 5) and a couple Oly's.

    Have consumer "family" cams reached this stage yet?

    Ed, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Ed

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Sony DSC T1. 5mb, 4 shots in 2 seconds, virtually no shutter lag and
    they can't be any smaller.

    Bob Salomon, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Ed

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    The Minolta Z1 is supposed to be one of the best. It also has a rolling
    10 frame shoot as well.

    Andy Hewitt, Apr 17, 2004
  4. I do not believe that "GOD" markets digital cameras.

    Jack-of-the-Dust, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Look for cameras with NuCore image processor technology, i.e. the Kyocera
    SL400R or Kyocera Finecam S5R. These have very short shutter lags, which is
    very useful with kids. It's the NuCore engine that enables very short
    shutter lag. Not sure why the top tier hasn't produced some models with
    this. Kyocera call this technology "RTUNE."

    See the article at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1418658,00.asp

    I'm not thrilled with some other aspects of these two cameras, i.e., no
    auto-focus assist beam, and the pop-up flash on the S5R (on the original
    Canon APS Elph, the pop-up was not reliable). But you probably won't find
    such a short shutter lag on anything else, short of a D-SLR, at least until
    some other camera makers come up with something similar.

    Steve
    Digital Camera Short List, http://nordicgroup.us/digicam

    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 18, 2004
  6. <quibbles>
    You never got a G4, either<g>. Also, it's AF speed, not shutter lag.
    (Shutter lag is the time from the half-pressed state.)
    They can't. The D100 uses a dedicated AF unit*, the consumer cameras use the
    CCD. The CCD's frame rate is too slow to provide decent AF performance. The
    CCD frame rates are getting a bit faster, though. But they can't get
    anywhere close.

    *: These things were the object of incredible competition over the last 15
    years, with the film SLR mfrs busting their R&D butts to beat each other on
    AF performance. Even the cheapest film Rebel is flipping amazing.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Read the fine print at the end of the article:

    "RTune goes a long way toward making cameras faster and more responsive, but
    it doesn't help reduce shot-to-shot times when you're taking flash pictures,
    and it doesn't improve the speed of your camera's autofocus system."
    The original poster was _not_ interested in the half-press to prefocus
    drill, so he was asking for AF speed, not shutter lag. (Most people mean AF
    time + shutter lag when they say shutter lag: the technical definition of
    shutter lag is, in some sense, perverse, since one would naturally expect
    the AF time to be included.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 18, 2004
  8. Can't speak for the S5R, but a colleague at work just got the SL400R (to
    replace his Pentax OptioS which he lost), and the shutter lag time on the
    SL400R is very very short. I've not seen any digital camera, other than an
    SLR that had such a short lag time. The shutter lag time is specified at
    0.07 second, and while I am not able to measure it, it's very fast. Compare
    this to something like the Canon G5, where the shutter lag time is greater
    than 1 second.

    Yes, you're correct about the lag time not including the AF time, but even
    on a film camera, the autofocus time is measurable. But with many P&S
    digitals, even after you AF, the lag time between when you press all the way
    down, and the "shutter" releases, is significant.

    Steven M. Scharf, Apr 18, 2004
  9. When the lens is anywhere near the correct focus point, AF on the more
    recent film cameras is very fast. There are cases were it gets slow (mostly
    long lenses focusing from macro to infinitiy, or vice versa), but it's
    pretty amazing. A half press and release gets the lens close to where you
    want it, so the fast performance really is available.
    Agreed: as you point out, the P&S cameras are getting better in these areas.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Apr 18, 2004
  10. Ed

    Mark M Guest

    If the cause is the CCD, then how do you explain the nearly identical lag
    present in film-based point-and-shoots?

    I suspect it is not related to CCD focus...

    Mark M, Apr 18, 2004
  11. Ed

    Bob Guest

    I have an Olympus C4000, which has an option to do continuous auto
    focus. In that mode is much faster than my D490 or previous digital
    cameras.

    Bob, Apr 19, 2004