    Is there a resource somewhere that describes these and the bandwidth
    required by each? In particular, for my softphone I've used GSM
    successfully. Which one of the above codecs corresponds to GSM?

    Al, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Al

    Henry F III Guest

    GSM is different from all the codecs you mention.

    If a codec has another 'number', it is a different standard.

    GSM is 13300 bits/sec (without the RTP + ethernet overhead)

    Generally: 1 codec on 1 end can ONLY talk to the same codec on the other
    end.

    So if your ATA has no GSM codec, you can not talk to a SoftPhone that has
    GSM codec.

    Solution: use an ATA with the GSM codec (or an IP phone with the GSM
    codec).
    Please check out http://www.xeloq.com --> I am a customer there for 1,5
    year and I have an IP phone + ATA 1 port that has GSM codec....and I use
    SJPhone + Xlite as well......

    They are changing websites - I see the new ATA with GSM codec that I have
    here not on the site yet. Ask them.
    The Katana-IP300 has GSM codec (and all the other codecs) - EUR 89,-

    The ATA with GSM codec is EUR 79,-(that is what I paid for it).

    Regards
    Henry

    PS: Here is a nice VoIP calculator:
    http://www.newport-networks.com/pages/voip-bandwidth-calculator.html