Which certificate/protocol would I use?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paul, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi all, I've got 2 wireless USB adapters here.

    Both support WPA/WPA PSK, WPA2/WPA2 PSK
    Authentication.

    And they can also be configured as AP's.

    Which one would be better? WPA 2 or WPA 2 PSK?

    They also have encryption. (disable/WEP/TKIP/AES).

    Which encryption method do most ppl use?

    The ?, is in the settings of the USB adapter on here, you also have the
    option to set a protocol

    (PEAP/TLS/TTLS).

    Which protocol would be the better 1 to use?

    Under this you put a user name / password and phase2auth:

    And under this the pre-shared key

    Passphrase, either in ASCII or Hex.

    (These ones shouldnt be too hard to figure out).

    And under this certificate.

    There's a lot of certificates to choose from.

    How would you know which certificate to use for WPA2, or WPA 2 PSK?

    These adapters dont use XP SP2 for configuring them.

    The drivers for them, also act as their firmware. And the drivers also
    install the program, to configure them.

    The site doesnt tell u much. And they didnt come with manuals, to tell you
    which protocol / cert would be better.

    Any info appreciated

    Thanx

    Paul, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Paul

    Lem Guest

    There almost certainly is an online manual at the manufacturer's web
    site, but since you didn't identify your equipment, we can't help you
    find it.

    Presumably, you also have a router. All WiFi devices on a given network
    have to use the same authentication and encryption scheme. Thus, your
    settings for the USB adapters will depend on what your router can do.

    That being said, in order of preference use:
    WPA2-PSK authentication with AES encryption (you need to use
    PSK=PreSharedKey unless you have a RADIUS authentication key server,
    which almost no home or SOHO user has). The choice of
    (PEAP/TLS/TTLS)protocols should go away once you select PSK.

    If you can't use WPA2-PSK, use WPA-PSK
    If you can't use AES encryption, use TKIP.

    If your router doesn't support WPA or WPA2, buy a new router.

    Lem, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Ah no, the USB adapters act as access points
    too. Thus it saves u buying a separate AP.

    And the WPA / WPA2 options are in the program/config
    the drivers install for these adapters.

    So, I would say WPA / WPA2 whatever would work.

    The site for them is here

    http://www.zydas.com.tw/product/ZD1211.asp

    There are release notes / a word doc.

    Altho, it looks like both are for linux not windows.

    BOTH adapters use the same drivers (and theyre the same USB adapter). Only
    diff is, the other has been configured as the Access Point.

    Thanx for the info anyway!

    Paul, Mar 17, 2006
  4. Hi

    Unfortunately we are in a transition period, as far as Wireless security is
    concerned, and the Encryption situation is in a temporarily "chaos" looking
    at your list I would say WAP2 AES

    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 17, 2006
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanx for that Jack. I'll try and figure this out now!

    Cheers

    Paul, Mar 17, 2006