    specific model.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Lexar FireWire CompactFlash reader, model RW019 is what Ron Galbraith
    uses in his tests.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6133

    "A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

    _Introductions to History of the Reformation_
    Jonathan Swift
    1667-1745

    John A. Stovall, Mar 15, 2005

  3. MaryL

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mary,
    I suspect that your reader WILL handle those 1GB cards. Nothing to
    lose by trying.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 15, 2005
  5. MaryL

    bmoag Guest

    I have had several card readers, all of which failed.
    In my experience Sandisk was the absolute worst, two dead out of the box,
    Sandisk refused to honor any warranty.
    There is absolutely no reason why a working card reader cannot read a 1 gb
    CF card. If your reader is USB1 it may take a long time to download several
    hundred jpegs but that should be the only problem.

    bmoag, Mar 15, 2005
  6. MaryL

    Nil Einne Guest

    Assuming your talking about USB 2.0 card readers only and not
    considering internal, firewire, PC card, etc, then the primary
    difference would be multi card readers and CF card readers. Obviously
    with a multi card reader, if you ever need to use another card you
    can. If you do not intend to carry around your card reader, this is
    what I would recommend. On the other hand, if you do intend to carry
    your card reader around a lot then consider a CF only card reader
    which would be smaller (although not as small as a SD card reader for
    which this is a more significant issue).

    As for brands, I would say just go with anything that is cheap, does
    what you want and that you can get from somewhere with a resonable
    returns policy.

    However, as others have said, your reader should have no problem with
    the 1 gb card unless it's a type2 and your reader is only type 1

    Nil Einne, Mar 15, 2005
  7. MaryL

    Owamanga Guest

    I've used a (very cheap) Sandisk ImageMate SDDR-91 USB device on
    Transcend 1Gb cards for the last 6 months or so with no problems at
    all.

    Owamanga, Mar 15, 2005
  8. MaryL

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have both a multi-format reader, and a CF reader. There is little
    practical difference in their sizes. Both will fit nicely into a shirt
    pocket.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 15, 2005

  9. My Imagemate handles them just fine.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 15, 2005
  10. MaryL

    Diane Wilson Guest

    And mine doesn't. SanDisk 1GB Extreme III cards lose synch with my PC,
    and the window for the device simply disappears. I have to unplug
    and reconnect the ImageMate to try again, and usually get the same
    result. The more images on the card, the more likely it is to have
    problems. 2 or 3 images *may* work; a dozen or more almost certainly
    won't.

    Amazingly, while the USB 2.0 ImageMate has problems with this card,
    the USB 1.1 ImageMate does not. But the USB 1.1 ImageMate is not
    exactly fast.....

    I'm open to recommendations also.

    Diane

    Diane Wilson, Mar 15, 2005
  11. MaryL

    Diane Wilson Guest

    More than likely, it's not the size of the card, it's the speed.
    USB has never impressed me for robustness, and I can easily believe
    that a timing problem would knock down the device driver.

    Diane

    Diane Wilson, Mar 15, 2005

  12. I have no Extreme III cards but the Image 8-in-1 USB 2.0 and the old
    regular Imagmate both read everything I own including the Ultra II
    cards

    Oliver Costich, Mar 15, 2005
  13. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I should have been more specific and noted
    that I do need a USB device (not firewire). I would like something as
    "portable" as possible because I will also want to use it with my laptop
    computer when I travel. I will first try the suggestion several of you made
    and try my old ImageMate with the new cards. Barring that, you have given
    me some good ideas of where to look. Incidentally, the ImageMate is USB1,
    and my computers are both USB2. Nevertheless, it has worked well with these
    computers -- but my largest card (until now) was 128MB.

    Thanks, again.
    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 16, 2005

  14. Most of the Imagemates are no USB 2.0 and are very compat for travel.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 16, 2005
  15. This is not correct according to what I just received from Sandisk:

    "SanDisk Response: (03/16/2005 01:48)
    Hello,

    Thank you contacting Sandisk Technical Support.

    The ImageMate SDDR-91 should work with the Extreme III 1 GB and larger
    CF cards.

    If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this
    e-mail or contact our technical support department toll free at
    866-SANDISK (866-726-3475). Our technical support team is open Monday
    through Friday, 8:30am to 5:30PM (GMT+1). Have a Great Day and thank
    you for choosing SanDisk!

    Regards,
    Jack E."

    "It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name
    of the public interest, to be placed under contribution,
    drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolised, extorted from,
    squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance,
    the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined,
    vilified, harrassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed,
    disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned,
    shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to
    crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonoured.
    That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality."

    "General Idea of the Revolution in the Nineteenth Century"
    Pierre Proudhon

    John A. Stovall, Mar 16, 2005
  17. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Interesting. Here's the response I received from SanDisk (via their eBox
    printed reply):

    SanDisk Response: (03/14/2005 02:31)

    Hello, Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.

    You may need to purchase a newer card reader because the SDDR-31 may not
    read a capacity of 1GB CF.

    Best Regards,

    Jean

    SanDisk Technical Support

    If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail
    or contact our technical support department toll free at 866-SANDISK
    (866-726-3475). Have a Great Day.

    MaryL, Mar 16, 2005
  18. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I just took a look at the SDDR-91 ImageMate. That is a USB 2.0 device and
    is a much newer model than mine. I am using (and will try it with the new
    card before replacing it) #SDDR-31-01. My card reader is USB 1.0 and was
    purchased in 2001.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Mar 16, 2005
  19. I need to proof read. I should have said almost all Imagemates are now
    USB 2.0

    Oliver Costich, Mar 16, 2005
  20. You have a different model.

    "It is a good thing to read books, and need not be a
    bad thing to write them, but in any case, it is a
    pious thing to collect them."

    Fredrick Locker-Lampson
    (1821-1895)

    John A. Stovall, Mar 16, 2005