Which camera is the fastest?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by floorvan, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. floorvan

    floorvan Guest

    Hi all

    I don't know the exact term for this, but what do you call the
    speed/time it takes to take one photo after the other on a digital
    camera?

    I know Kyocera has this new technology out there called R-Tune. If
    your interested, here is the link:
    http://www.kyoceraimaging.com/about_rtune.asp

    I think it's called shot-to-shot times?

    Is Kyocera the only company who does this? I must admit it's one of
    the things that annoys me about digital cameras in general. You have
    to wait so long!

    The model I'm talking about is Kyocera's S5R. I'm not crazy about the
    camera though...this being the main reason I'm trying to find out if
    there are any other options out there.

    Does anyone have experience with this camera? Could you recommend a
    high speed (5 or up megapixel) camera?

    Thanks!
    Floor

    floorvan, Aug 31, 2004

  2. floorvan

    YoYo Guest

    Get a DSLR they are much faster

    message

    YoYo, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Speed cost money. How fast do you want to go? You can get 8 frames per
    second if you buy a used Canon 1D off Ebay for $2000.

    this old user, Aug 31, 2004
  4. floorvan

    Atreju Guest

    My Minolta Z3 can take up to, I think, 15 rapid-shot pictures. They
    fire around 10 per second (give or take).

    Many cameras do this. Storage media speed also affects how well it
    will work. I think the camera buffers the data on rapid-shot settings.

    Using ordinary single-shot settings, my delay is not noticable at all.

    ---Atreju---

    Atreju, Aug 31, 2004
  5. floorvan

    Ron Guest

    The Fuji FinePix S7000 will take 3.3 fps which yields 1 shot per every 0.3
    seconds in "Top 5" mode. For continuous shooting it will take 1 shot per
    second for up to forty shots. And it only costs you about $400 USD.

    Ron

    Ron, Aug 31, 2004
  6. floorvan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    My Kodak DX6440 will do a 6 shot burst in a bit over 2 seconds. Not bad
    for a $350 camera.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 1, 2004
  7. floorvan

    Drifter Guest

    I believe the fastest shooter >available right now< is the Canon 1Ds
    at 3 frames per second for a 10 frame burst.
    My understanding is that the Canon 20D (available soon) will be 5
    frames per second for a 20 frame burst.

    Of course the 20D is supposed to go for about $1500 and the 1Ds
    currently runs about $8000 (not including lenses)

    of course if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me <grin>.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Sep 1, 2004
  8. It depends on whether you mean separate presses of the shutter release or
    holding the shutter release down and having it take a set of continous
    pictures. Generally with DSLRs are fast enough for most uses (though the Canon
    300D was crippled so it wouldn't compete with the 10D).

    The fastest I've heard for continous shots is the old Olympus E-100RS that
    could do 15 shots at 15 frames per second, but that was a 1.3 megapixel camera
    and it hasn't been made for 2 years..

    The two DSLRs geared towards sports photographers (Canon 1D-mark2 and Nikon
    D2H) both offer 8 frames per second, and a healthy buffer to hold 20 or so
    shots. However, pricewise you are talking about $6-10k for a full kit of
    lenses and such, which is probably not what you are looking at.

    If you use a fast memory card, the Nikon D70 (~ $1.5k with lens and card) is
    supposed to be able to keep up with separate shutter release presses.

    Michael Meissner, Sep 1, 2004
  9. floorvan

    pjp Guest

    I know it's an older model now but my Fuji S602Z seems to be able to keep up
    admirably with pressing button manually for pics provided I'm using
    Smartmedia card. Using Compact Flash and there's a noticably longer delay
    while it saves previous pics.

    It's "shoot till button released" mode also seems to perform very well but
    unsure how many pics per second it actually can take.

    pjp, Sep 1, 2004
  10. floorvan

    Jedi Nein Guest

    Ok... which is better, separate presses or 'click-n-hold'? Which of
    the hobby/pro DSLRs fit the following? Which is faster: Canon 10D,
    Canon 20D, Canon Rebel, or Nikon D70? Are they the only choices in
    range?

    I've overpowered most of the >$999 class point-n-shoots. I don't make
    a living from my photos, but from the books & articles the photos
    accompany. A 6K camera is out of range, a 2K camera including a
    generic range lens and fast & big memory card is in range.

    Film is out. I don't have $$$ to waste on developing hundreds of blah
    photos, only to have the great shots ruined by the developer.

    My subjects are aircraft in flight and clouds.

    I want to catch an aiplane at the top of a maneuver, a fly-by, an F-18
    right before bolting (go-around), a vortex off the wings, an
    instrument panel one instant before a failure becomes obvious, a
    thunderstorm at night, and the eye of a hurricane while in turbulence.
    Speed is critical. I want the only delay to be my reaction time which
    I can eliminate by starting shots early, but only if the camera can
    handle a series of shots without locking.

    Ideas?

    Thanks in advance.

    Jedi Nein

    Jedi Nein, Sep 7, 2004
  11. floorvan

    Drifter Guest

    Get a bigger budget 'cause you are looking at the $8k pro stuff.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Sep 8, 2004
  12. floorvan

    Apteryx Guest

    (though the Canon 300D was crippled so it wouldn't compete with the
    10D).
    Try out the D70, and see if it meets your needs. Its speed certainly
    impresses me, particularly in seperate presses, or on a second burst of
    continous shots immediately after the first one. But its flat out
    continous speed is only 3fps, falling to 2.5fps (jpegs) or 1 fps (RAW)
    when the buffer is full. Of course most p&s cameras (possibly all)
    simply stop when the buffer is full.

    Apteryx, Sep 8, 2004
  13. 10D, 20D, D-70 come to mind.
    They had some of the shortest shutter delays on the market. I can't
    tell the difference between my D-70 and F-4S when pressing the button
    and actual shutter release.
    Doesn't really matter in most cases.
    You are not going to be at the camera's highest resolution to
    maintain the high speed repetitive shooting.
    However you can drop the resolution a notch, put it in continuous mode
    on a fly-by and hope for the best.

    Shooting in RAW at 6.1 megapixels the D-70 can do 3 as fast as you can
    push the button, or it'll do it on its own. Drop to a lesser
    resolution and it'll go like a machine gun.
    This isn't as simple as some seem to make it.
    The big question is: At what resolution do you expect to do the
    shooting? "I think" you will find the winner is probably the 20D
    followed by the D70. I don't find the 10D listed any more.
    The 1D MK-II is about $4500 so the prices are coming down and
    substantially. Of course there is a big jump from $20000, to $4500 for
    most of us. If Nikon comes out with an answer to the 1DMK-II then the
    price will most likely drop a bit. With the announcement of the 20D
    the prices on the D-70s dropped $200 to $300 depending on where you
    go.
    I do a lot of those. The D-70 works just fine, but not if you want to
    shoot a series of 20 shots at full resolution as a F-16 does a fly-by.
    The reason is the buffer and the 1DMK-II will shoot 20 frames at 8.3
    fps in RAW and 40 JPG. OTOH you can shoot about 1 every second to 2
    seconds and the D70 does a pretty good job of keeping up.
    These are more a function of panning than fast repetitive shooting.
    Here the D-70 would do just fine and it goes to 1/8000 sec and I'm
    sure the 20D would as well. The 1D-MKII also runs about the same
    shutter speed range. It also runs a bit over 8 megapixels.
    Now I'm sure you are talking shutter lag, or delay which are almost
    non existent in the D70 and 20D. Probably most of the newer cameras
    out.

    Again the number of shots depends on the resolution.
    Go to dpreview. these links may help.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d70.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos20d.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/

    It's not necessary to have the very best, but sometimes it's kinda
    nice. <:))

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Sep 8, 2004