    there other cameras to consider (at no more than $1500)?

    Also, I notice that some higher priced cameras from these companies have lower
    ISOs. (For example Nikon D2X.) That doesn't seem to make sense.

    no, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Here you can see a noise comparison between the two:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page14.asp

    Personally I am somewhat sceptic to the method used, but ...

    Other cameras to consider in the price range
    Pentax *istDS
    Olympus E300

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Jan 9, 2005

  3. no

    Eric Gill Guest

    Canon 20D, of course. Low noise at high ISO is one of it's great s

    Eric Gill, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Like asking which commercial jet has the quietest engines, this is a
    needless question- they are both very noisy at ISO1600, and any such margins
    between them are narrow. Allegedly the 20D has best-controlled noise.

    Martin Francis, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Hubble?

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 10, 2005
  6. Have you tried bounced flash?

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Hmm. Depends what you mean by "very". If you turn off sharpening and expose
    correctly, both cameras will produce 8x10 prints that are soft but quite
    clean. If you object to the softness, a slight hit of NeatImage and
    sharpening in Photoshop with the threshold bumped a bit will improve the
    prints. In either case, you get better prints than you'd get with ISO 800
    (and probably even ISO 400) films in 35mm. Also, the noise levels at ISO
    1600 in both cameras are lower than the current P&S cameras at ISO 400. So
    from those comparisons, I'd say that the D70 and 20D have phenomenally low
    Between the lower noise (see the graphs at the bottom of the page)

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page20.asp

    And the extra pixels, the 20D should produce noticeably better 8x10s from
    ISO 1600 images.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 10, 2005
  8. no

    JPS Guest

    In message <crsoqm$ja3$>,
    The 20D will outdo the rebel and 10D even more with subject areas that
    are very sharp, taken with a sharp lens. This is because the 20D has a
    weaker anti-aliasing filter, which increases the potential
    pixel-to-pixel contrast, and hence the signal-to-noise ratio at high
    frequencies in sharply focused areas of fine detail.

    This should apply to the D70 as well, since it has an even weaker AA
    filter.

    JPS, Jan 11, 2005
  9. Yes.

    But the Drebel's AA filter is already weak enough to allow the 10-22 to
    produce Moire :-(

    I do not think a weak AA filter is a feature.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 12, 2005
  10. no

    JPS Guest

    In message <cs3enh$fo3$>,
    More details?

    I thought the drebel and the 10D had the same AA filter.

    JPS, Jan 12, 2005
  11. ??? I found Moire in a shot I took with the 10-22. There isn't much more to
    say...

    The good news is that it's pretty rare (only once). But the 300D's not my
    main camera, so I haven't really stressed it.
    That's my understanding, too.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jan 12, 2005