  1. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    I have the NTL 1MB DL 100k UL, will this be op for a IP phone service??

    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005

  2. PhilÅ

    Stickems. Guest

    Yes, that will be just fine.

    Stickems., Aug 1, 2005

  3. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    Re the 100k upload speed, I obviously use the internet at the same time, and
    sometimes the xbox live with voice.. I will ask again, will this struggle???

    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005
  4. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I'm struggling to follow this thread..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2005
  5. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    Some people like the reply being at the top of a thread.
    It isn't really unless some people are being picky
    Picky people.

    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005
  6. PhilÅ

    Ian Guest

    struggle???

    Hi, Yes 100K upload will struggle as G711 will use 80K+ of that and that can
    be said to be 100% of your upload. You could try using a G729 or GSM codec
    but you will still proberly get packet loss and jitter.

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 1, 2005
  7. PhilÅ

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Yes it will struggle if you are not careful. I use NTL 1MB/100K with Sipgate
    as provider and it's important to do some sort of traffic shaping in
    whatever you use to share out your internet access. You don't want your call
    to drop off when some xbox game or other thing suddenly grabs all the
    bandwidth. What I do is just instruct router that any packet to or from the
    MAC address of my VOIP adapter must have top available priority and
    everything works pretty well no matter what else is happening on the LAN.

    Joe

    Joe Harrison, Aug 1, 2005
  8. PhilÅ

    Ian Guest

    Oops forgot to add codec list at
    http://www.cyber-cottage.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Bandwidth

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 1, 2005
  9. PhilÅ

    Steve Guest

    As long as your doing nothing else at the time, it'll be OK. If you are
    doing anything else at all) then no it wont be OK. I have a 256k UL, and if
    I'm doing anything else at the time, (web browsing etc) then that causes the
    audio on the IP phonecall to break up badly. Im using an hardware ATA
    (Sipura). For perfect calls, its best if your not doing anything else at
    the time.

    Steve, Aug 1, 2005
  10. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    The majority don't.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2005
  11. PhilÅ

    NAZGUL Guest

    You are going to have to use a codec with compression, I would use G729a
    which offers compression and uses only 8KB as an average. though you will
    need to arrange QOS if you are going to be using other apps at the same
    time.

    NAZGUL, Aug 1, 2005
  12. PhilÅ

    Dexter Guest

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:01:55 +0100, "Ivor Jones"

    So .

    Dexter, Aug 1, 2005
  13. PhilÅ

    Ian Guest

    Oh no it doesnt. It has a bit rate of 8K but its bandwith use is between 24K
    and 33K ish depending on sample rate.

    Your comment reminds me of the day a 'consultant' told a customer what you
    have just said, and put it in his presentation. Oh how we did laugh, as he
    was show the door very shortly after those fateful words.

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 1, 2005
  14. PhilÅ

    Mike Guest

    Web browsing shouldn't use much of the uplink at all.

    Traffic shaping would limit the httpd download and give priority to the
    VOIP traffic.

    Mike, Aug 1, 2005
  15. no, in my opinion.

    The 100k upload could be fully occupied by just one decent quality
    VoIP call, you need an upgrade to the 300k or whatever option.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Aug 2, 2005
  16. PhilÅ

    NAZGUL Guest

    Alas you seem to ignore that he will being using other apps, which will need
    ack packets and 16KB upload simply would not cut it for VOIP and other apps
    if he used the G11 codec

    NAZGUL, Aug 2, 2005
  17. PhilÅ

    Ian Guest

    WHAT!!!

    Ian, Aug 2, 2005
  18. PhilÅ

    Angus Comber Guest

    What router do you have? How do you prioritise the packets?

    Angus

    Angus Comber, Aug 5, 2005