    trying out AVG with firewall. I'm hesitant about just relying on using
    the firewall that comes with XP, not sure if it's that great.

    Also, what are your thoughts about the Windows firewall?

    Ed, Jul 28, 2006

  2. The firewall works fine for me. I use eTrust AV 7.1 with XP x64 with good
    results.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2006

  3. No reason not to use the Firewall - allthough, perhaps also no reason why
    you couldn't use something in combination. Beyond that, I am a happy Avast
    user - free download, but you can pay if you want.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 28, 2006
  4. I'm using NOD32 with the Windows Firewall. Seems to work well. Been using it
    for around two months.
    --
    Charles Kenyon

    from my ignorance and your wisdom.

    Charles Kenyon, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Ed

    Jane C Guest

    Avast for me too. Windows firewall. We have a router with NAT firewall,
    which also has SPI (SPI currently turned off to enable my Vista x64 install
    to connect to the net).

    Jane C, Jul 28, 2006
  6. Ed

    Guest Guest

    Avast down here too!
    Betcha I'm the southernmost user of Avast in the world on x64!
    Router with NAT firewall, like Jane
    Carlos

    Guest, Jul 28, 2006
  7. You may be right, Carlos - though, we see Avast on that 'other' OS (Linux)
    as well. May just be there's the odd phreak down Antarktica?

    (Seasonal user?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 29, 2006
  8. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Wow - didn't know there was a FREE anti-virus for xp64!

    I downloaded and installed AVAST. It looks straightforward to use.

    Thanks for all the replies!

    Ed

    Ed, Jul 29, 2006
  9. O.K.

    Do you expect your Avast to run on Vista, Jane?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 29, 2006
  10. I just installed Avast 4.7 on Vista x64 build 5472 and it is checking my
    system even as I write this.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2006
  11. Good to know - I just installed a new HD to accomodate for that Vista-Baby,
    first try caught me unawares, you might say.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 29, 2006
  12. The amazing thing, I've found, is there is absolutely no performance hit
    from running it, not on my three machines anyhow -plus it updates all the
    time (database as well as new versions) and the only thing that ever cought
    me was a piece of evil minded malware called 'newdotnet', that spyware
    protection also didn't catch - it comes hidden inside some kind of
    advertisement I guess, Windows Defender found it on the HD but couldn't
    remove it - now I run WD together with Windows Spyware as a kind of
    'Belt&Suspender' form of tactics. Hope that will save me the next time.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 29, 2006
  13. Ed

    Jane C Guest

    Works on both x86 and x64 Vista ;)

    Jane C, Jul 29, 2006
  14. Ed

    Ed Guest

    So far so good - Avast runs very well on my computer - don't notice it
    at all, not so with AVG. I would get annoying popup boxes when it
    would run the scan or when it updated something.

    Windows has anti-spyware software?

    Ed, Jul 30, 2006
  15. Windows Defender (formerly MS Antispyware). However, I don't think it is
    64bit yet.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 30, 2006
  16. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Jul 30, 2006
  17. Yes, it's still beta. Has been for over a year, and appears to be quite
    stable. I have no idea when they're finally going to call it released. But
    I'm using it on all my machines now.

    Charlie Russel, Jul 30, 2006
  18. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try!

    Ed

    Ed, Jul 30, 2006