where's the good(camera) deals in San Fran?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by test12special, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. I'm in town (SF) for the week, and thought I'd take advantage of the
    700$ worth of ""stuff"" I can bring back across the line (Canada)
    duty-free and pick up a decent digital P&S if I can find a good buy(my
    *ist DS is just to bulky to pack around all the time)

    Yesterday I did the touristy thing and rode the CC down to fishermans
    wharf and was soon bombarded by ""camera"" stores offering 50% off
    etc..
    Despite my inner warning bells going off I wandered in to one and a
    guy
    was going to sell me a nice little Optio 4MP for about 99$. Is this
    for
    real or are these hot or somehting? I did some online checking of
    prices
    at some local ""mainstream"" shops like gassers, but could not find a
    price that came close, in fact the prices are similar to what they are
    in Canada and with the exchange rate there is no advantage really.

    Are there actually bargains at these tacky tourist traps? (the
    fountain
    with the 2 naked ladies was cool to but its to big to take on the
    plane)

    On the outside it looks like it, but I know there is probably more to
    the story (the guy came down 50$ when I was hesitant) and was hoping
    someone on this group could give me a heads up.

    TIA

    test12special, Feb 20, 2007

  2. test12special

    irwell Guest

    If it sounds too good to be true etc.etc.'

    Fryes is probably your best bet in the Bay Area
    for genuine hardware at good prices.,

    irwell, Feb 20, 2007

  3. test12special

    editor Guest

    Go to a pawn shop - they've always got P&S digicams of very good
    brands and models at quite-reasonable prices from when borrowers
    didn't pay their loans that the digicams were collateral for. The
    pawn shops just want to avoid losing money on the loan transaction -
    so prices stay low on these - and they'll put batteries in the
    digicams and let you try them out on the spot before buying.

    editor, Feb 20, 2007
  4. test12special

    just bob Guest

    Since you have internet access while traveling, go to www.dpreview.com and
    pick out a camera you like. Then check the price on www.bhphoto.com. Then
    go to the stores and try to find your model for a price you like.

    just bob, Feb 20, 2007

  5. My recent trips to pawn shops have been very disappointing. Little
    selection and prices too high.

    Oliver Costich, Feb 20, 2007
  6. test12special

    irwell Guest

    THat is what I was going to say.

    irwell, Feb 20, 2007
  7. test12special

    Bill Funk Guest

    Pawn shops don't lose money on their loans.
    They know quite well what he value is of the items they loan money on,
    and will not lend more than they can make a profit on when they sell
    the items at what the market will bear.
    The Cullinan Diamond would probably only get about $5000 on pawn.
    When I visit pawn shops, the cameras are mostly old, and the prices
    are about what eBay auctions close for. (Hmmm, I wonder why?)

    --
    The Weather Channel reported a
    blizzard in Washington D.C.

    Bill Funk, Feb 20, 2007
  8. test12special

    editor Guest

    With one HUGE difference - especially on anything electronic and/or
    mechanical. At a pawn shop - but not eBay - you can try it before you
    pay for it!

    editor, Feb 21, 2007
  9. test12special

    Bill Funk Guest

    Only if they actually have it in stock - which is my point. Pawn shops
    here simply don't have the good stuff on the shelves.
    At least not here (Phoenix).
    I've also tried on other places (we travel). Even in Vegas; they are
    businesses, like any other business. They know what they have, know
    how much they can loan on an item, and know what any item will sell
    for.

    --
    The Pentagon said Thursday the
    U.S. will shut down the border

    Bill Funk, Feb 21, 2007
  10. test12special

    editor Guest

    At least one of the largest chain pawn shops - based either in
    Vegas or Phoenix - has very largely moved its sale of pawned goods
    operation to an eBay-based Web operation. That may account for why
    you see little actually inside the pawn shop for sale there.

    editor, Feb 23, 2007