    It eventually gave up, and now I'm stuck with half a computer. :eek:(

    Anyone know how to fix this? (Preferably without reinstalling Windows and
    praying.)

    James Robertson, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 15, 2006

  3. That's one thing I haven't tried yet. (Was going to look into that sometime
    this afternoon.)

    However, seeing as Windows initially detected a multiprocessor system, but
    failed to install it, I'm not convinced that that is the problem.

    Looking in the device manager I can see:

    ACPI Uniprocessor x64 based PC
    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

    I can uninstall the Processor which then makes Windows jump through the 'hey
    I've found a multiprocessor...' hoops for a while, and then it gives up
    again. I can't uninstall the Uniprocessor item though.

    Let me check the BIOS and see whether that helps though.

    James Robertson, Mar 15, 2006
  4. James Robertson

    churin Guest

    I agree that updating BIOS if available is a thing to try. Another thing
    you can try is to manually update CPU driver for multiprocessor at the
    Device Manager.

    churin, Mar 15, 2006
  5. James Robertson

    Rick Guest

    I seriously doubt that Win x64 is the problem. This is a hardware BIOS
    problem and you should be talking to the vendor of your motherboard to
    resolve the situation.

    I installed Win x64 on my motherboard with all the updates to the BIOS
    and my Athlon 64 x2 was properly detected immediately.

    Rick, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Yep, flashing the BIOS solved the problem. (Although that was a job and
    half. I had to find a floppy disk first. Do you have any idea how scarce
    those things are now? I'm glad I wasn't at home. I've not owned a PC with
    a floppy drive in at least 5 years.)

    Thanks guys. :eek:)

    James Robertson, Mar 15, 2006
  7. I use bootable CDs or even USB memory sticks for flashing BIOSs these
    days. Can't remember the last time I actually used a floppy drive to do so.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Mar 15, 2006
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 15, 2006
  9. If the PC will boot from USB floppy, it'll almost certainly boot from a
    USB memory stick too. So that's what I use.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Mar 15, 2006
  10. Hmmm. I've been able to get it to boot from a USB floppy when a memory stick
    wouldn't work. And, of course, a memory stick won't solve the common F6
    problem that we still have to live with. I find that old USB floppy drive
    that came with a Toshiba laptop I had years ago is a useful thing to have
    around.

    And, of course, the last time I junked an old system, I pulled the floppy
    out of it first, and I keep that on the back of the shelf, with a standard
    flat floppy cable wrapped around it. When I run into a problem, I yank it
    out and plug it in, sort of hanging out the side of the machine that needs
    it. Do the F6, and pull it out and toss on the back of the shelf till the
    next time.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 15, 2006
  11. James Robertson

    DP Guest

    Sorry. What's F6 do?
    (I don't have a floppy drive on my machine, or else I'd test it myself.)

    DP, Mar 16, 2006
  12. F6 is the key that you have to hit during the initial install of any version
    of Windows since NT3.1 if you need to add an additional storage driver
    before you start the install. Since many, many of the SATA controllers that
    are on the x64 motherboards out there are also RAID controllers, they
    generally need the drivers loaded in order to see the HDs. Old server guys
    like me don't even think about it, we're used to it. But it's a relatively
    new problem for many XP x64 users.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 16, 2006
  13. Hah! Seems I spoke too soon.

    Windows has lost the 2nd CPU again. (It bravely attempted to reinstall it
    once, and then gave up after I'd restarted again.)

    So, I suspect win x64 *is* the problem after all.

    James Robertson, Mar 16, 2006
  14. Dominic Payer, Mar 16, 2006
  15. I have now. And still only one CPU. :eek:(

    I'm slowly facing the fact that I'm going to have to waste yet another day
    formatting the HD and reinstalling Windows. *sigh*

    James Robertson, Mar 16, 2006
  16. James Robertson

    Rick Guest

    I still seriously doubt that the fault lies with Win x64.

    To start with, you are the 1st person to have this problem.

    So, it is my humble opinion that you have a hardware problem. Either
    the motherboard itself, or the CPU; but not Win x64.

    Rick, Mar 16, 2006
  17. James Robertson

    churin Guest

    Try updating cpu driver before you try reinstalling WXP x64.

    churin, Mar 16, 2006
  18. James Robertson

    John John Guest

    Can you change the hal from uni to multi processor at the Device Manager?

    John

    John John, Mar 16, 2006
  19. How?

    James Robertson, Mar 16, 2006