  1. Carlos

    Phoenix Guest

    Nor i

    Phoenix, May 21, 2010

  2. Carlos

    Phoenix Guest

    That's what happened with other NGs I post to...

    Phoenix, May 21, 2010

  3. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, May 21, 2010
  4. Carlos

    XS11E Guest

    Sure, you can get this group in Google Groups but please don't, that
    would result in me and dozens of others killfiling you!

    You need to use a newsreader, there are a bunch of free ones and you
    already have Outlook Express or Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail,
    depending on what version of Windows you're running.

    There are many more, it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

    Go to http://www.eternal-september.org/ and sign up, then set your
    newsreader for news.eternal-september.org. Depending on what
    newsreader you use, there are plenty here who can assist you with this.

    Next you'll need to download a list of all groups and then the search
    box will find this one for you, subscribe to it and you're done.

    XS11E, May 21, 2010
  5. Carlos

    Phoenix Guest

    There's also freenews.netfront.net, no registration required. I'm
    posting from eternal -september on my phone right now and can't check
    if freenews carries this NG but I'd be surprised if not.

    Phoenix, May 22, 2010
  6. The web interface will definitely and absolutely be gone. If you need web
    interface, you'll have to move to the forums, full stop. But there are
    plenty of news servers, including free ones, that will continue to carry the
    MS newsgroups, I expect.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 22, 2010
  7. Carlos

    BullDawg Guest

    Tried the freenews.netfront.net, but it is read only, no posting. However,
    news.eternal-september.org works fine. Just have to remember to make sure
    you have your username and id entered into the account settings. Speed is
    good, retention is only 120 days though.
    --
    ______________
    BullDawg

    BullDawg, May 22, 2010
  8. That (120 days) is 30 days more than the MS servers...

    John

    John John - MVP, May 22, 2010
  9. Carlos

    BullDawg Guest

    I've changed all my microsoft.public groups over to eternal-september.
    Working fine.

    --
    ______________
    BullDawg

    BullDawg, May 22, 2010
  10. Carlos

    someone Guest

    Why can't you just download the MS Bridge? There are two Bridges now. One
    for the Answer forums.

    someone, May 22, 2010
  11. Carlos

    BullDawg Guest

    Because not all are going to "Answers." Been running the first Bridge since
    Dec and the second one for Answers since yesterday.

    --
    ______________
    BullDawg

    BullDawg, May 23, 2010
  12. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi BullDawg
    what version is the "second one" of the bridge
    thanks

    Kue2, May 23, 2010
  13. Carlos

    Phoenix Guest

    That's what happened with a music software NG I subscribe to. Actually, that
    one escaped when the Cakewalk server was misconfigured for just a while and
    peered with public servers, so not even as long as the MS hierarchy has
    been.
    Here's a (quoted) post of mine from that NG and some responses to
    illustrate:
    In the killer
    That's coz useNET groops are like the killer in a slasher movie. They kill
    it (so they think), and as they are walking away, it gets up, with twice as
    many posts as before, takes a few more inconsequential cast members out!
    ;)

    So your saying the Cakewalk audio group is Jason and more they kill
    it...the more powerful it will get......cool :)

    Phoenix, May 23, 2010
  14. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kue2.

    There are two NNTP Bridge versions (as of today):
    Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge:
    Service URL:
    http://services.social.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc
    Version: 1.1.0.0
    NNTP IP Address: 127.0.0.1
    NNTP Port: 119

    Microsoft Answers NNTP Bridge:
    Service URL:
    http://services.answers.microsoft.com/ForumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc
    Version: 1.0.0.171
    NNTP IP Address: 127.0.0.1
    NNTP Port: 120

    Each has its own startup screen; Forums is blue, Answers is green. The two
    windows appear identical except for the variables above. (No, I don't know
    which is "the second one".)

    I've not yet figured out all the differences, including why we need two
    bridges. And I've not yet figured out how to start either one
    automatically. So far, I have pinned the two icons to my Taskbar (in Win7).
    But I have to click one, then click its Start button, wait for a second,
    then click Sign in on its next window, then - to keep its window from being
    a continuing distraction - minimize the window to my Notification Area. And
    then I have to click the other Taskbar icon and go through the same routine
    a second time. Four clicks for each bridge, before I click WLM to actually
    begin my News/Forums/Answers session. :>( I sure hope someone at Microsoft
    is working on simplifying and speeding up this process!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, May 24, 2010
  15. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi RC
    The answers (Green) bridge I got running fine.
    It's the forums bridge (blue) that driving me .......
    The error message it gives is as follows:
    In order to use Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge you must first log into forums
    & enable the "use NNTP Bridge" option in the My settings page.
    Trouble is it's already enabled.

    Kue2, May 24, 2010
  16. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Again RC
    I got it thanks to your explanation
    I did not realize I had to sign-in to both profiles to enable the bridge.
    Actually I did not know I had one profile for "answers" bridge &
    one for the "forums" bridge.
    Very confusing, to say the least.
    he forums link:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/categories/
    The answers link:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

    I had to go to both & enable the NNTP bridge then it worked.
    I now got all newgroups loaded in winmail.

    RC thank-you for your help, I was lost........

    Kue2, May 24, 2010
  17. Carlos

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Kue2.

    You're welcome, of course. And stand by...I'm still somewhat lost, so you
    may need to answer my questions next. :^{

    Neither bridge shows any viable NGs when I look for those with "64" anywhere
    in their names. In 127.0.0.1, there are NO such NGs. There are two listed
    in Localhost:
    Microsoft.fr-FR.windows95ntme64fr
    Msdn.en-US.netfx64bit

    Take your choice??

    RC

    R. C. White, May 24, 2010

  18. There's one more. technet.en-US.officevolact. You have to have
    Descriptions enabled to see it but the actual instance of 64 only shows up
    when you do a list newsgroups in telnet

    E.g. here is a find "64" of such a capture:

    <find>
    ---------- OTHGROUPS.TXT
    Msdn.en-US.netfx64bit Need help making your .net applications (any
    language) w

    ork on 64-bit? Ask your questions here!
    ffice PLEX, Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    Microsoft.fr-FR.windows95ntme64fr Discussions generales autour de
    Windows
    95/NT/ME/64 Bits
    </find>

    Hmm... OIC. telnet captures long lines but wraps them onto multiple trace
    lines.

    Let's try this instead:

    <cmd_output OS="W7 X64">
    C:\Users\Rob>findstr /n /i "officevol 64" othgroups.txt
    1333:Msdn.en-US.netfx64bit Need help making your .net applications (any
    langua
    ge) w
    1334:eek:rk on 64-bit? Ask your questions here!
    2182:Technet.en-US.officevolact Welcome to the Microsoft Office Volume
    Acti
    vatio
    2190:ffice PLEX, Enterprise Licensing, Group Policy, and 64-bit Office
    2650:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/officevolact/threads.
    3322:Microsoft.fr-FR.windows95ntme64fr Discussions generales autour de
    Win
    dows
    3323:95/NT/ME/64 Bits
    </cmd_output>

    You can see how long the description for that OfficeVolAct newsgroup must
    be if it continues over 9 lines (2182-2190)!

    In fact it's so long that WLMail won't even show the whole thing even after
    I have maximized all fields by pressing Ctrl-NumPlus.

    BTW some product groups have tried to provide paragraphs of description in
    there which is invalid because they include more than 1 line for an entry.
    Fortunately WLMail overlooks such errors.

    FYI

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, May 25, 2010
  19. Carlos

    BullDawg Guest

    Ver 1.0 for the Answers Bridge. Ver 1.1 for the "original" Forums Bridge.

    --
    ______________
    BullDawg

    BullDawg, May 25, 2010
  20. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi RC
    I don't know if this is what you are asking:
    The bridges only allow you "To See" the web base forms
    in the NNTP format.(newsreaders).
    When loaded the bridges allow you to see & respond to the web based forums
    in the newsreader of your choice, providing it is compatible.
    The only way for us to see the Win 64 group using the bridges is if the
    powers to
    be place this group in the web base forums.
    From what I read to date, this is highly unlikely.
    Maybe the "powers to be" will create a group called "General Windows 64 Bit"
    and we could all hang out there.

    Kue2, May 25, 2010