    None of the forums seem to map up, but if you change over to any other
    usenet server out there you can keep using this group as-is once
    Microsoft disappears.

    Dave Warren, May 20, 2010

  2. Carlos

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Bogey
    To me, this is going to be the ultimate result: The people asking
    questions will put up with it, those of us donating our time to help out
    where we can simply won't bother.

    In the end this will open up room for a few MVPs to devote their lives
    to the forums and shine, or it will turn into a ghosttown of unhappy
    users not being helped.

    Dave Warren, May 20, 2010

  3. Carlos

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Jeff Gaines"
    Personally, I have to think alt. is the wrong place. It will take
    longer, but comp. would be a much better longterm home.

    Dave Warren, May 20, 2010
  4. Carlos

    Bo Persson Guest

    Yes, this is the New Coke. Some of us will go looking for Pepsi. Or
    beer.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, May 20, 2010
  5. :)

    It's a quote from something, but it's so far buried in my past that I have
    no idea where or what. IAC, I meant it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  6. No, the names are all different because it's a completely different forum
    structure. It's not a "GUI NNTP", but a native HTML Forum. The NNTP Bridge
    is strictly a way to move the information back and forth between that Forum
    and your Newsreader of choice.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    When I set up that NNTP Bridge, none of the names were the same as here and
    that was just yesterday. I installed it, I tried it, I hated it and then
    dumped it.

    Ron
    you can use NNTP Bridge and the same group name as here.

    Hi guys,
    My main concern now is where (what forum) you will all be moving to.
    I would like to stay alive and helping users with the same cool guys that
    hang aroung here regulary.
    Carlos

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  7. I wasn't aware that Office 2010 woudln't install on XP x64, but I can't say
    I'm surprised. And as much as I hated Office 2007, and never migrated to it,
    I'm liking Office 2010 a lot.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  8. Few of us are happy about it, Charlie.

    John

    John John - MVP, May 20, 2010
  9. I agree. A new .microsoft hierarchy under the comp. would be a much
    better place than the wild .alt hierarchy, it would be more
    "professional" and give the hierarchy a bit more credence.

    John

    John John - MVP, May 20, 2010
  10. Carlos

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <OZPki6E#> John John - MVP
    All of that being said, using the existing microsoft.public hierarchy
    would seem to make sense at least to a point, although creating new
    groups would be difficult since there's no formal process to create new
    groups in a formally almost-managed hierarchy.

    comp. would definitely make a lot more sense to me than alt. though,
    especially since there is a formal process to create groups, so getting
    the groups created across a reasonable percentage of usenet servers is
    actually feasible. comp. gets a lot more attention just by virtue of it
    being comp. too.

    Dave Warren, May 20, 2010
  11. Well, I've proposed they create a 64bit NG. The response was not an
    immediate "no", but rather -- would this be better in Answers or in TechNet?
    I allowed as how either would work, since we cross over pretty generally,
    but that the Answers heirarchy was probably better, since it will be more
    discoverable for consumers. We'll see. I did at least get recognition that
    this is not a "typical" NG or community, and there is value in keeping it
    focused as it is.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  12. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    My e-mail response was also a "not no".
    I have noticed that women tend to use a negative logic as opposed to
    positive logic.
    In my case it was not a robot but a woman who responded my e-mail ("Janice").
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 21, 2010
  13. Carlos

    Phoenix Guest

    If those are the choices I vote for Technet.

    Phoenix, May 21, 2010
  14. Carlos

    Phoenix Guest

    Hey! I'm not not sure I don't dislike your tone there, Carlos! :p

    Phoenix, May 21, 2010
  15. Normally, I'd agree with you. For myself, personally, it's a better fit. But
    I think having it in Answers will, ultimately, make it more discoverable for
    end users. Most IT Pro types are starting to get this figured out, but the
    consumers are just now getting pushed into 64-bit because they're buying 4GB
    and greater PCs for the first time. So anything that helps the consumers
    find us, is good.

    However, I won't quibble whichever they choose, so long as they give us our
    own home. (And that does not preclude an alt.os or comp. NG, IMHO.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2010
  16. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hmmm... "quibble", nice and new addition to my English language database.
    I would have never figured out how to say "ser quisquilloso" in English.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 21, 2010
  17. Carlos

    XS11E Guest

    There are several Usenet providers who don't charge for text groups
    such as this, if you want binaries the list gets much smaller but for
    text only try http://www.eternal-september.org/

    XS11E, May 21, 2010
  18. Carlos

    XS11E Guest

    Why move? MSFT propagates this newsgroup throughout Usenet, my headers
    will show you I'm reading and posting this through Eternal-
    September.org.

    If MSFT shuts down their servers the groups already spread to Usenet
    should still continue to exist.

    XS11E, May 21, 2010
  19. Nor would I have known how to say quibble en Espanol. ;-)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2010
  20. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Bad news I'm afraid Carlos. Janice is Hal's sister :)

    Jeff Gaines, May 21, 2010