    I would like to stay alive and helping users with the same cool guys that
    hang aroung here regulary.
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 20, 2010

  2. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Carlos
    It looks like this will be "The End" of the group as we know it today.....

    Kue2, May 20, 2010

  3. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    What about setting up an 'alt' group which is supposed to be
    straightforward?

    Jeff Gaines, May 20, 2010
  4. Carlos

    Hugh Guest

    Suggestions???

    Hugh, May 20, 2010
  5. Carlos

    James Kosin Guest

    Carlos,

    I'll probably just evaporate; since, I'm older than dirt anyway.
    I've always found usenet groups far superior to forums ... especially
    Microsoft forums that are very BAD for searching for answers, posting
    questions (that can get an answer), and overall lack of Microsoft guru's
    that patrol and answer questions there.

    As far as alt. etc... many service providers are also doing away with
    usenet (lock, stock and barrel). At least mine is, although they are
    offering an alternative for $$$ a month from another provider.

    James

    James Kosin, May 20, 2010
  6. Carlos

    mikeyhsd Guest

    you can use NNTP Bridge and the same group name as here.

    Hi guys,
    My main concern now is where (what forum) you will all be moving to.

    mikeyhsd, May 20, 2010
  7. No, this group name won't be moving to the Forums. They want to put us in
    the overall windowsanswers forum, which will be a zoo.

    I'm not sure what the answer is. I know I'm not happy about it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  8. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Hi Charlie
    as far as I can tell you are correct.......who "sets" the windows answer
    forum categories?
    Maybe they can create one for Windows 64 general?

    Kue2, May 20, 2010
  9. Carlos, I honestly don't know the answer to that. They've suggested we all
    move to windowsanswers forum, which is ultimately a frontend to the client
    forums. I can't see us finding a home in there that will not be the usual
    zoo. This newsgroup will undoubtedly continue to exist for some time, but it
    will NOT have a microsoft server for it. So that those of us who use
    msnews.microsoft.com to connect to the NG will have to find a different NNTP
    server. And that also means that users who have been coming here via the web
    interface will be out of luck.

    I'm open to suggestions, however. "Whither thou goest, so go I". ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  10. Won't happen, I suspect. I can ask, but I don't expect it to be implemented.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  11. Carlos

    James Kosin Guest

    Mooo, can I be the cow please... please... please.

    LOL, Lets see, stuffing about 120,000,000 people into one forum...
    hmmm... will we all fit.

    James

    James Kosin, May 20, 2010
  12. FWIW, I have sent a formal request to the folks managing this transition at
    MS to have a 64bit forum. I'm not particularly hopeful, but I've tried to
    make the case for having a place for us. I'll post back with the response.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  13. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I cannot make up my mind which one to choose among these:
    Windows 7
    - Desktop and Personalization
    - Hardware and Drivers
    - Performance and Maintenance
    - Install, Upgrade and Activate
    - Programs

    None of those fit in what we have been doing here.
    64-bit exclusiveness will also be lost.
    :(

    Carlos

    Carlos, May 20, 2010
  14. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    alt.windows64?

    Jeff Gaines, May 20, 2010
  15. Carlos

    Bogey Man Guest

    Well I won't be installing that "Bridge" program again. Sure it works after
    a fashion but the available content in nothing compared to what we are used
    to especially for Excel and Word. It also interfered with my Windows Live
    Mail database for some reason causing corruption. Uninstalling the "Bridge"
    program solved that and Windows Live went back to normal operation.

    I don't like the forum setup at all that Microsoft has set up and am loathe
    to use them unless I have a problem that I need solved. I definitely won't
    go there to browse the forums.

    In a worst case scenario, I might attempt to create some alt. groups even
    though I have never done that before and the process to create them seems to
    be somewhat confusing to say the least.

    Even using Google Groups would be better than nothing. At least the
    questions and answers could be delivered to an email account set up for the
    purpose of participating.

    Ron

    Bogey Man, May 20, 2010
  16. I agree. And I'm going to suggest something I wouldn't normally do. MS has
    given us a very public email address for this change -- .
    I'd like to suggest that you (and anyone else who feels so motivated) to
    send a suggestion to that email address that addresses the problem and makes
    a suggestion. I've already done so, and it gives a not terribly hopeful
    auto-answer, but I'm assured it _is_ being read by those who are managing
    this. So let's push for a home. Maybe they'll listen and give it to us.
    Given the structure, I'd expect it to be in the Windows 7 space, since they
    aren't set up for one that covers multiple versions. But we could work with
    that.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2010
  17. Carlos

    Bogey Man Guest

    When I set up that NNTP Bridge, none of the names were the same as here and that was just yesterday. I installed it, I tried it, I hated it and then dumped it.

    Ron

    Bogey Man, May 20, 2010
  18. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    I am happy to help, I have the same level of experience as you :)

    I have subscribes to alt.config - is anybody interested in getting
    involved in a discussion there?

    Jeff Gaines, May 20, 2010
  19. The main reason I´m here is for "Discussions in Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition". Now is XP x64 on it´s way out in the cold, since you can´t install
    Office 2010.
    http://max.ownit.nu/Office2010.PNG

    Windows Forums, Planetamd64, Extended64?

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro
    Coreâ„¢ 2 Extreme X6800

    Maratonmannen, May 20, 2010
  20. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I have also done my homework (e-mail to ).
    And I did like your ancient English phrase in your other post, I could read
    it without the need of help.
    And God said: Thou shalt not kill 64-bit newsgroups!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, May 20, 2010