    and was wondering where to start. I have a few books, and have a virtual
    machine to practice methods on, but I want to know what has worked for people
    in the past. Any advice helps! Thanks!

    Andy S, Mar 7, 2008

  2. What kind of experience do you have with the following:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EOD
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-272.mspx#EQD

    If you have little to no experience with the skills above, then get
    some.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Mar 8, 2008

  3. Andy S

    Brian R Guest

    Michael, you seem to be the resident expert in these discussion groups. My
    question is this and hopefully you reply quickly: I believe the 70-271 and
    70-272 exams expire in Dec 2010, is this right? I notice some people are
    still taking them. Right now IT is moving slowly to Vista. Are those exams
    still worth it or should we just take the Vista exams instead?

    Brian R, Mar 11, 2008
  4. I have not heard, nor read, any publicized statement from Microsoft
    stating the retirement for the 70-271 and/or 70-272 exams. Many
    businesses and residential users operate Windows XP and will continue to
    do so for many different reasons. Regardless if this is true or not
    (which again I have not heard anything about this), obtaining any
    certification is a personal matter which only you can answer. My reasons
    for obtaining my certifications were influenced by the job/career I do.
    Certifications require time, money, and dedication. It should not be
    pursued lightly.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Mar 11, 2008
  5. Andy,

    As a best practice what I have done to prepare for the MCDST ( besides
    having a lot of experience in XP ) is to read both MS eBooks and also some
    Training Videos like CBT Nuggets and doing some simulator exams to get
    prepared for day 0.

    Virtual Machines like Virtual PC is highly recomended since you can mess
    with it without touhching your PC.

    Good Luck in your Cert.
    Ricardo Parraga
    A+, MCP, MCDST.

    Ricardo Parraga, Mar 15, 2008
  6. Andy S

    igotrivered Guest

    I think those exams are still worth it because home users will be using XP
    for a while and also once you get your MCDST you can take one test to upgrade
    and get 2 certs for Vista as well.

    igotrivered, Mar 21, 2008
  7. Andy S

    Joseph Guest

    I agree, take these two exams, then shoot for the MCDST Upgrade to MCITP
    Vista Ent....all three of these exams will get you 4 titles:

    MCP
    MCDST
    MCITP: Vista Enterprise
    MCTS: Vista Config