Where to learn about cameras on the market?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peconic, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Peconic

    Peconic Guest

    It's been a long time since I've bought a new camera, and I now see
    that haven't been keeping up with emerging technology.

    I'm looking for an education / side-by side comparison of features.
    Looking at websites, it seems some newer cameras are reviewed on each
    site, but I'm looking more for a publication of all cameras on the
    market. Does such a thing exist?

    I know photography (film) and the only digital camera I've owned is my
    Olympus Brio 1.3 megapixal p&s that just broke. I thought I was waiting
    for dSLRs to come down in price to buy one, and was just going to
    replace by broken camera with its equivalent to use until then and for
    snapshots. I figured I'd buy something like this on eBay inexpensively.
    1. I can't -- they're either also someone's broken camera, or more
    expensive than I'd want to spend given that they have extra features
    but not necesarily features I want. 2. Now that I see how many more
    features have come to exist, I want to see if perhaps I can spend more
    than I'd planned to, have more features that will meet my needs and
    perhaps be able to fulfill any immediate need for a dSLR.

    If anyone can point me in the right direction: I take close-ups of
    objects without a flash. My largest problem is not enough light --
    manual shutter speed and aperture settings would be great. At first I
    thought the long zoom lenses would take care of the macro problem (that
    the shutter just won't stay open long enough at close range), but I
    realize I may still have the same light problem as I zoom in, and from
    the reviews I read, camera-shake seems inevitable without a tripod. So,
    I got to thinking if I were going to the trouble of looking at $300
    cameras for their zoom ranges, I should look at ones that I can control
    the aperture. As I am close up, I often get a focused center and blurry
    outer. Do automatic digital cameras come with these manual overrides?
    FWIW, I prefer a heavier camera; I can hold it more steadily, with both
    hands, and I don't care for the feel of a camera the size of a credit
    card. I also like an optical range finder (view field? sorry, don't
    know what to call it).

    I apologize for the long post. Any suggestions about cameras or where
    to read about cameras? (I take many snapshots too, so I do like to own
    an automatic.)

    Thank you.

    Peconic, Jul 25, 2005

  2. Peconic

    Proteus Guest

    Peconic wrote:

    Get a digital SLR 35mm camera -- it will have a solid feel to the body, and
    get one that uses traditional 35mm lenses-- (I use a Canon EOS 10D and the
    canon digital cameras can use the same Canon lenses used by the Canon film
    cameras)-- then you can buy a lens that does what you want, such as a
    "fast" lens that works in low light and does macro or zoom focusing, etc.
    Not sure what you do that uses such low light, but you could always use
    flash, a fast lens, or a reflector to take advantage of existing light. You
    will not regret a digital SLR 35mm, so much sweeter than those credit card
    $300 or so consumer cameras.

    Proteus, Jul 25, 2005

  3. Peconic

    per Guest

    per, Jul 25, 2005
  4. Dave R knows who, Jul 25, 2005
  5. Peconic

    Hunt Guest

    Probably the first stop should be www.dpreview.com. Look at the models and
    specs, then the reviews. After you have narrowed the search to a half-dozen,
    or so models, head to a local shop/store and see how they feel in YOUR hands.
    If you anticipate needing support, you might want to buy locally, rather than
    mail-order. Otherwise, study the mail-order store for feedback on the
    Internet, before you send your credit card info.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Jul 25, 2005
  6. Peconic

    BD Guest

    There are some standard sites which contain many reviews -
    dpreview.com, stevesdigicams.com.

    One site which I've found very useful has a page they call the
    'comparometer' - it allows you to select two cameras from a rather long
    list, and view the same exact set of pictures taken with each camera.

    It's not perfect, and I doubt it's exhaustive, but it should allow you
    to get started. I also am interested in closeups - macros, for example
    - and this site allowed me to rule out several contenders due to their
    macro performance.

    try the page at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

    Cheers,

    BD