where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Maybe try a group like microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion ?
    That's where the win98 people hang out.

    My copy of wordpad.inf shows a bunch of files would be needed
    to install wordpad.

    ; WORDPAD.INF
    ;
    ; This is the Setup information file to install WordPad
    ; as an Optional Component.
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corporation

    So it isn't just a matter of having someone email you a copy of
    ""%24%\%PROGRAMF%\%ACCESSOR%\WORDPAD.EXE""" or the like. It would
    have to be a complete set of files, or a CAB or something.

    When files come on an OS installer disc, there isn't much reason
    for Microsoft to offer them for download. The closest you get
    to such a service, is a Technet subscription. You'd be better
    off looking for a Win98 disc on Ebay, to get the file set needed.

    Microsoft has offered "Microsoft WordView" over the years, with
    the purpose being, to allow people to view/read but not
    author Word documents. I use that on this computer, when
    the occasion arises. It might be a bit easier to find an older
    version of that, than Wordpad itself.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 8, 2011

  2. Paul

    t Guest

    I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at the
    Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find it
    anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

    t, Jun 8, 2011

  3. It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.

    Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
    you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
    and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
    scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 9, 2011
  4. Paul

    Shaun Guest

    "Paul" wrote in message
[...]

    You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD computer
    belongs.

    Shaun

    Shaun, Jun 9, 2011
  5. Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
    a usenet group does not work properly here.

    WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
    usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
    which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
    Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

    If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
    should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

    If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
    Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.

    Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
    WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2011
  6. Paul

    Jon Danniken Guest

    You might try Cetus WordPad; it's pretty much the same thing, with the
    addition of a spellchecker.

    http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 9, 2011
  7. WordPad creates RTF (rich text file, or rich text format) files that support
    bold, italics, and underline -- as well as other formatting features -- that
    NotePad does not support.

    You can visit OpenOffice.org and get FREE OpenOffice. This free office suite
    can open and edit rich text, spreadsheet, and presentation files. I do not
    use it, but have installed it for my neice, so I can't say that it will open
    database files or not. Since database files can be made with the MSoft
    Office Suite, and OpenOffice is a free product targetted to pull people away
    from MSoft, then it stands to reason that there is a database application.

    I can't imagine that a current version of WordPad will not open an RTF file
    created with an earlier version of WordPad. Something does not add up here.
    But whatever... You can get OpenOffice for free, and open & create new RTF
    files.

    Jeff Strickland, Jun 9, 2011
  8. Paul

    Krypsis Guest

    Why not try http://www.liberkey.com/en/

    It's a suite of portable applications that does not need to be installed
    into windows specifically. They can run quite happily on a thumbdrive. I
    have the entire suite on my harddrive, thumbdrive and an external hard
    drive. The suite is up to 309 applications now which can service most of
    your utility needs.

    Worth a look

    Krypsis

    Krypsis, Jun 9, 2011
  9. Paul

    Krypsis Guest

    I think OpenOffice or LibreOffice are way too heavy for the users needs.
    Abiword is much lighter and very nice to use. I prefer it for my general
    work. As an aside, all the programs/suites above are available as
    portable apps under the LiberKey menuing system and will run from an
    external drive / thumbdrive with no problems and do not need to be
    installed into the Windows system registry. Definitely a plus.

    You could also go to this site; http://portableapps.com/apps
    It too has portable applications either separately or as a suite. I
    initially used this site but found the menuing system of LiberKey way
    superior and much easier to use than this one. Updating is a breeze now
    on the LiberKey site as well, enhancing the ease of use.

    I am sure that the OP will find something light, easy and, most
    importantly, portable that will fit his needs.

    Krypsis

    Krypsis, Jun 9, 2011
  10. Paul

    Krypsis Guest

    This isquite a neat little program. I installed it but will it run as a
    portable app from a thumbdrive? Also, will it open the olw wordpad
    format .wri files? I think these are the files he needs to open rather
    than .rtf format files.

    Krypsis

    Krypsis, Jun 9, 2011
  11. Paul

    t Guest

    Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since they're on
    every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft was on
    to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open WordPad
    documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
    everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other reason(s)
    too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like Office
    that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out of
    being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately screwed
    them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old version
    of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed there
    too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and download a
    program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
    solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time just
    trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
    Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they screwed
    us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.

    Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as easily
    as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and can
    carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't have
    that program you'll have it right there?

    t, Jun 9, 2011
  12. Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    AbiWord will open them and is free and portable.

    Mike Easter, Jun 11, 2011
  13. Paul

    Mac Cool Guest

    :
    Have you tried Google Docs? Not sure if it will open the old Wordpad files
    but it stores your documents online and you can access or edit them from
    any computer.

    Mac Cool, Jun 17, 2011
  14. Paul

    Patrick Guest

    Pardon, did you say something !

    :)

    Patrick, Sep 12, 2011
  15. Paul

    Paul Guest

    The details do matter. Why ? By posting your reply before a
    ..sig mark, your reply cannot be replied to. It doesn't get quoted
    properly. To make this message, I had to:

    1) Copy and Paste Shaun's reply from below the .sig from the original post.
    2) Move all the quote marks over one, manually, with the editor.
    3) Hope that I didn't mess up quoting by doing this.

    I recommend Thunderbird as a newsreader client, which has proper quoting.
    It's a good, basic newsreader. The only real trick with Thunderbird, is
    ticking the "always request authentication" box, for usage with news servers
    that have a username and password, as then, Thunderbird will prompt you
    the first time for the username and password. Via caching, it won't pester
    you every time after that.

    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

    You can also set the "port number", according to whether you want the
    stream to be encrypted to the server or not.

    If you need further help, a search of the web will have an illustrated
    guide for setup. I've found such guides, for setting up Thunderbird,
    on some university IT sites for example. Even the news server main web
    site, sometimes has primers on it, to help clients set up their
    favorite reader program. The first time you use Thunderbird, it may be
    a bit daunting, I don't deny that.

    I like using separate tools for separate functions. One tool for mail.
    Another tool for USENET. By doing so, there is never a danger I'll
    forward a "letter from mom" to alt.flame :) This kind of thing does
    happen occasionally, when people do both USENET and mail, within the
    same tool.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 12, 2011
  16. Paul

    VanguardLH Guest

    Yeah, the noob thinks anything of his post placed AFTER the signature
    delimiter line was seen by others (who typically configure their
    newsreaders to strip out the fluff, like signatures).

    VanguardLH, Sep 13, 2011