    camera that lacks a focus motor, it will not autofocus. however, the
    autofocus system is still running and you will have focus confirmation
    as you manually turn the focus ring.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    you need more than a neck strap. you need a chest harness.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    :)

    Arklin K., Jul 11, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    This is great information.

    So, do I have it right based on what you kindly wrote?

    1. The so-called Nikon 'war camera' is likely to have a focus motor in
    the body while the D-series Nikons I own (D50/D60/D5000) do not have a
    focus motor in the body.

    2. Nikon AF-S lenses have a focus motor in the lens while non AF-S lenses
    have no focus motor.

    3. I can use any Nikon AF-S lens in any Nikon camera and it will
    automatically focus (because there is at least one focus motor).

    4. I can use any Nikon non-AF-S lens in any Nikon camera but it will not
    automatically focus in the D-series cameras I own (because there is no
    focus motor).

    Arklin K., Jul 11, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Research on the web is quick, easy, and free.
    Yes, the "AF-S" stands for Auto Focus - Silent Wave Motor. As far as
    I know, all AF-S lenses will fit all three cameras. Some non-AF-S
    lenses will attach, but you will lose the autofocus feature. Some of
    the non-AF-S lenses will autofocus on bodies with the motor drive in
    the body. Not all camera bodies and lenses were designed for
    autofocus.

    I will say that you need to order an AF-S lens if you intend to use it
    on your D40/D60/D5000 bodies if you want the camera to autofocus (And
    I'm sure you do, and you should).

    You can Google for AF-S lenses, or for lenses compatible with any of
    those bodies (if compatible for one, it's compatible for all three),
    but I see no place in any tech sheet that tells you if the bayonet
    mount is plastic or metal.

    Your best bet is to Google for AF-S lenses, pick out the ones you want
    based on price and specifications, and then go to a real camera store
    that sells new merchandise and look at the damn thing to see if the
    flange is plastic or metal. Forget Costco. They don't have the
    selection of lenses only on display that a real camera store has.

    You may want to make the actual purchase from Adorama or B&H photo,
    but know what you want and need before you order.

    Other brands of lenses have the AF-S feature. I have a Tamron AF-S
    18/270mm zoom lens that I use. A good walk-about lens with a wide
    range, but not as sharp at any setting as a prime lens. ("Prime"
    being a non-zoom lens) Sigma makes AF-S lenses, but I haven't heard
    good things about Sigma lenses. Tamron makes AF-S lenses for both
    Nikon and Canon bodies, so you have to check to see which it is.

    I'm not even going to address that "war camera" idea. It's
    ridiculous. No camera is impervious to damage. You don't buy a
    camera in order to be able to drop it or treat it carelessly. You
    either buy the least expensive camera/lens combo you can find and
    figure you will replace whatever you break, or you learn to take more
    care.

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    "Common knowledge" is what everyone knows. This guy doesn't. I
    suspect there are hundreds of cameras that require AF-S lenses sold
    every year to people who like Arklin have no idea that the motor is in
    the lens. Ask the people in Coach.

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    There is no "war camera". That's your own invention. If you would
    ask a credentialed combat photo-journalist why he chose the cameras he
    carries, he'd talk about the features non-related to durability. His
    "war" preparation is more likely to be his camera bag because he's
    concerned about how the camera is protected when *not* being used.

    Sgt Jeremy Lock was Military Photographer of the Year in 2007. He
    carries a Nikon D2X. You could break a D2X just as easily as a D40.

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Yeah, right. And if the kid falls down face first? Better to teach
    the kid not to run with the camera.

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Try to understand the difference between the number of *reported*
    battery door breakages and the number of battery door breakages that
    people experienced but never wrote in about.
    So is a baseless, meaningless, counter-argument.
    You maintain, then, that *all* battery door breakage on Coolpix
    cameras have been memorialized on the web?
    Right, it was the Coolpix 100 in 1997. The 900 series was in 1998.

    So you use a Coolpix 100 since you have the very first to come off the
    production line. Right.

    This is your camera?
    http://www.nikonweb.com/coolpix100/

    Have you ever used it?

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    the d50 has a focus motor. the others do not.

    you can tell by a mechanical coupling pin around the 7 o'clock position
    when looking into the mirror box, or by just trying a non-afs lens.

    as for a mythical war camera, it's likely to have a motor because only
    midrange and high end cameras are weather sealed and ruggedized, and
    those are the cameras that users with a lot of lenses tend to buy, so
    there's a motor included for the older lenses they might already have.

    low end bodies are rarely used with more than 1 or 2 lenses, normally
    the kit lenses which have their own focus motors, so there's no point
    in having an additional and redundant motor in the body that won't ever
    get used. as a result, the camera can be lighter and less expensive.
    low end bodies are not going to be ruggedized or sealed, so you really
    don't need to worry about a focus motor.
    yes if the camera is an autofocus body *and* knows about af-s lenses,
    which goes back 10-15 years (i don't remember exactly when they first
    came out). obviously, older manual focus bodies will not autofocus.

    older nikon autofocus bodies do not know about af-s lenses because af-s
    had not yet been released, so they will only focus with lenses that
    have a mechanical coupling. the logic for af-s is not in the camera and
    it actually has fewer pins on the mount.
    correct, almost (ignoring the d50 which has a motor).

    the issue is with very old non-ai lenses from the 1960s and early
    1970s. those will not fit on most recent nikon cameras and are almost
    guaranteed to cause damage if you try.

    however, they *will* fit on the nikon bodies that don't have focus
    motors, e.g., d40, d60, etc. without damaging them.

    this is not a guarantee and whether this remains true in the future is
    unknown. it's more of a fluke that they work, as opposed to being a
    deliberate design decision by nikon to maintain compatibility with 50
    year old lenses.

    if you have a non-ai lens, you *must* check to see if it will cause
    damage and be absolutely positive it will not. if you aren't sure, do
    not even try.

    it's unlikely you have any of those lenses or ever will because they're
    so old, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. however, just in case
    you do or find a lens at a garage sale for a buck or two that happens
    to be non-ai, you need to check before you damage something, which you
    seem to do so easily.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    that's why he asked how others knew it.
    and almost all of them don't give a crap where the motor is. as long as
    it focuses and takes pictures, they're happy.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    nope. only nikon makes af-s lenses.

    other brands of lenses may have internal motors, but they call it
    something else. tamron calls it bim (built-in motor) or pzd (piezo
    drive). sigma calls it hsm (high speed motor). it doesn't look like
    tokina has a designation so you just have to check.

    just about all lenses these days have internal motors because there are
    so many nikon cameras without motors, so it's very likely it will have
    one. canon eos never had a motor, so all the lensmakers really need to
    do is change the mount and the lens firmware to work with nikon.

    older lenses may or may not have motors, depending on how old the lens
    is, so for someone buying used lenses, it's very important to check for
    compatibility.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    how would a neck strap have helped in this contrived situation? it
    wouldn't.

    in any event, it's much better to teach the kid how to fall and not get
    injured, because they're going to fall at one time or another. cameras
    can be replaced. kids can't.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    the coolpix 100 was in 1996 according to the link *you* provided below.
    you can't even get that right.
    i didn't say i had *the* first coolpix, i said *my* coolpix was one of
    the first to come off the line.

    i did not explicitly say which model it was, although i did say which
    one in a different post where that was relevant. i bought it the very
    first day it was available in the usa.
    no it is not.
    actually, yes i have used the coolpix 100.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    You are correct. I should have written "AF-S comparable". The "AF-S"
    is Nikon's designation, and only Nikon's designation. However, other
    companies make lenses that work with the D40/D60/D6000 bodies in the
    same way that the AF-S lenses work.

    Actually, it's just the "S" that other brands omit. B&H's specs for
    Tamron's AF-S-style lenses describe them as "Piezo drive AF motor".

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    What about "Better to teach the kid not to run with the camera" is
    difficult for you to understand?
    Oh, yeah. Give the kid a $1,000 camera and teach him how to fall with
    it. You are just full of good suggestions. Full of something,
    anyway.

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    the word you want is 'compatible'.
    that's correct, other than the non-existent d6000.
    tamron has two types of internal motors. the piezo version is new and
    is what they call their ultrasonic motor and the other motor is a less
    expensive and noisier micro-motor.

    nikon's acronyms are here:
    <http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/glossary.htm>

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    there's nothing wrong with running with a camera. i've done it and have
    not fallen down, not that it has anything to do with choosing a harness
    over a neck strap, although running with a harness would be easier and
    safer.

    maybe you should learn to not be a klutz.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    No, "compatible" means they work together. "Comparable" means they
    work alike. We don't say lenses work together with other lenses.
    They work alike in that they work with the same bodies.

    tony cooper, Jul 11, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    exactly! tamron's internal focus motor lenses are compatible with nikon
    cameras that require af-s lenses. they work together.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2012