    Arklin K. Guest

    For me, would Full Frame add any value to my pictures?
    (I'm ok with the quality - I just want a more rugged SLR.)

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I remember it said it was made in East Germany, and it had a heavy metal
    body, with bumps on the black part (sort of like fake leather). Of
    course, it was a film camera, and it had no light meter, so I had to
    carry a light meter around with me when I could finally afford one. I had
    it since I was about 12 years old, and it lasted well into college.

    Now, the plastic cameras last about a year or two at the max.

    What a difference!
    I think, in the end, I 'should' have bought a 'war camera' and it would
    have been cheaper than all the cameras I broke already. It's amazing how
    cheaply they're made - but it's my fault - nobody elses - for buying them.

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Absolutely not. Only the glass is cracked. I doubt the rim contacted
    anything because a close inspection shows it to be pristine.

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    That statement confuses me because folks have established that the more
    rugged cameras 'can' handle the boo boos of life.

    Are you saying that only the plastic cameras are precision?

    If the rugged cameras aren't precision instruments, then I'm confused why
    people buy them.

    Can you explain?

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    nope! :)

    I think that I simply need a more rugged SLR.

    Nothing more complicated than that! :)

    I'm done with cheap Nikon plastic!

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    probably not. you'll just end up breaking a more expensive camera.

    Guest, Jul 9, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    otter Guest

    Wow, what a thread!

    Let me just add my vote to "don't get a cheap filter for lens
    protection". It WILL degrade your pictures, and not offer much
    protection. If you don't already have a lens hood, get one of those
    first.

    As for the other comments about getting a "war camera", have you
    considered just using a camera phone? Sure it's not going to take as
    high quality pictures as a top DSLR, but you are trying to get by with
    cheap lenses, anyway (and there's nothing wrong with that, either).
    But a newer camera phone may be all you really need.

    otter, Jul 9, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Now that's an interesting idea!

    Thanks.

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Obviously that's what I need then.
    Thanks for all the pointers.

    As to the original question, my bayonet mounts should arrive this week.
    As you guys said, it may be difficult to remove the old one without
    ruining the ribbon cable to the IC.

    I'll be making generous use of the DIYs on the net, because these mounts
    seems to break an awful lot of times based on googling.

    So to be fair, it's not just me! :)

    (It's the plastic.)

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    That's an interesting observation because I (almost) never break my cell
    phones which also travel with me everywhere I go that the plastic Nikon
    cameras go.

    The only thing that ever broke on my Motorola RAZR V3 was the glass which
    was easily replaced for a few bucks (as tons of people have broken them
    so parts and instructions were easily available on the web).

    Hmmm....

    I wonder why my cell phone lasts years longer than the plastic Nikons do,
    especially since the phone has been dropped far more often than the Nikon
    ever was - and it handles the same environment.

    Does Motorola make a SLR perhaps?

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  11. It's the weight and form factor. That's why dogs break more easily
    than hamsters when thrown from a height.
    You think a dog designed by a hamster company will be more rugged?

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 9, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I think Motorola, which makes my (almost indestructible cell phone) also
    makes 'war radios' ...

    :)

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    That picture kind'a looks like my Exacta did, after about 10 years of
    rugged use in the Appalachians. :)

    Based on what all you guys seem to say, the plastic Nikons are precision
    instruments for people who baby them. Since I don't baby them, I need a
    precision instrument made without plastic.

    So, after the plastic bayonet mount arrives, I'll try to fix my lens. If
    that works, I'll let you guys know and I'll try to post a DIY if I can.

    My next camera, whether or not it's a Nikon, is going to be metal because
    the low-end plastic Nikon (Nikkor?) lenses can't handle even the smallest
    bumps, let alone a couple of knocks, as we've discussed.

    Arklin K., Jul 9, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    nonsense.

    nikon and other cameras can easily handle bumps and knocks. whatever
    you're doing is far, far more brutal.

    i had a nikon coolpix fall to the ground a couple of times. it has some
    dents in the body but it still works just fine. the battery door is
    intact too, another bullshit claim.

    Guest, Jul 9, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    willshak Guest

    Arklin K. wrote the following on 7/6/2012 4:13 PM (ET):

    1. How about one of these for any of your Nikons?
    http://tinyurl.com/87e7ea5
    2. Take your other 3 cameras to a camera repair shop to get fixed. Then
    you can sell them on Craigs list and possibly get enough money to buy
    your next camera.

    willshak, Jul 9, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Peter Guest

    OP still needs to avoid dropping the camera or dinging any part of the
    lens. A serious blow near the front edge of the lens tube puts
    tremendous force on both the lens mount and camera body aperature that
    receives the lens. The g forces can shatter a lens element, disrupt the
    glue that cements lens elements together, warp or strip finely machined
    focusing linkages, etc. The skin may help protect against some hazards,
    but it will not protect against careless or abusive treatment. High
    quality cameras are precision instruments and can never be fully
    hardened unless mounted on a shock absorbing mount inside a titanium box
    with fully automated remote controls and a lens window made of
    bulletproof plastic or glass.

    Peter, Jul 9, 2012
  17. That needs to be at least 20 feet, thrown hard, and that on
    needlelike rocks. And against smashing the camera with full
    power into concrete walls. Maybe even being run over a couple
    times with a steamroller.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 10, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    :)

    Realistically, I 'have' told the kids to always use the Nikon camera
    strap when they borrow my plastic Nikon SLR ... and I do like the idea of
    the camera 'skin' that was proposed (although it omits protection of the
    all-important plastic lens).

    In hindsight, looking at all my broken plastic cameras, most of my point-
    and-shoot cameras fail on the fragile battery doors (Nikon Coolpix
    varieties) and on the pop-out lens (Olympus varieties).

    So, the rule there is avoid at all cost any Nikon plastic point and shoot
    unless/until they learn how to design a door hinge ... and basically
    avoid 'any' point and shoot that has a motorized pop-out lens (Olympus or
    otherwise).

    Looking back at all the plastic SLRs, I'm astounded to realize it's
    mostly the lenses that broke, almost all at the fragile plastic bayonet
    mount, although one stopped working mysteriously just after snapping
    photos in the pumice of Thera, probably because of the very fine dust
    infusion.

    One plastic camera broke from the sulfuric fumes of swimming in the
    waters around a just-submerged volcano (which also claimed my otherwise
    rugged Rolex watch, interestingly enough). Yet another failed to survive
    its very first cross-country ski trip down Mount Washington on my New
    Year's Eve vacation trip.

    So, in summary, a rough visual autopsy shows that the plastic lens mounts
    (on all the plastic Nikons I've owned) and plastic door hinges (only on
    the plastic Nikon Coolpix variety I've owned) and motorized lenses are
    what seem to break on these plastic (essentially throwaway) cameras.

    Next time, I'll buy a sturdier camera for sure, as I realized, belatedly,
    that it has cost me far more for the cheap plastic Nikons than if I had
    bought a camera actually built to handle daily use in the real world.

    Arklin K., Jul 10, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I really do NOT want to get into a pissing contest with anyone; but
    that's just about the third or fourth time you said that the well-known
    Nikon Coolpix battery door design problem is 'bs'.

    Q: Have you ever googled "nikon coolpix battery door" ?

    Did you read the results?

    Try it right now - and let us know what you found out.

    Please.

    Arklin K., Jul 10, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I don't! :)
    Great suggestion!
    That's way more than I need!

    I mostly need the camera to withstand normal day-to-day bumps and
    jostling and whatever weather it is on the day I'm shooting.

    My needs are that simple: Just day to day use, with an occasional
    accidental drop, generally not anywhere near 4 to 6 feet! I wouldn't
    expect a plastic camera to survive such a fall so it's great to know some
    cameras can.

    All I need a camera to survive is an occasional bump as the camera swings
    sidewise against a tree while hiking or something of that nature, and the
    weather of the day, within reason (e.g., I wouldn't expect a plastic
    Nikon SLR to survive direct immersion in water, for example).

    Arklin K., Jul 10, 2012