    then why do you blame the camera for the damage?
    full frame, or a full 35mm sized sensor, not a 1.5x crop as with the
    ones you have. add an extra digit to the price.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    yet you want cheap crappy filters to put in front of the lenses??
    then buy a rugged nikon, like a d3s, d3x or a d4.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    nick c Guest

    If you still have the plastic piece that broke off the lens, try gluing
    it back on the lens with a /Cyanoacrylate/ glue that will set very
    secure if it adheres to the plastic. /Cyanoacrylate/ glue may be
    procured as Super Glue or Wonder Glue; best to read the package contents.

    If you have never worked with a /Cyanoacrylate/ glue you would be smart
    to use something like a toothpick to apply the glue and a tweezer to
    place the part. Use only a very small drop of the /Cyanoacrylate/ glue.
    More is not better.

    In case you're wondering if I have ever tried fixing a plastic lens with
    this glue; no I haven't. But I am familiar with the mechanical (not
    chemical) properties of a set /Cyanoacraylate/ glued joint and I have
    yet to be that clumsy enough to drop my camera on a concrete floor.

    As for a glass filter, I sometimes frequent Swap Meets and lately bought
    a Nikon 52mm L37c filter and a used Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens (in mint
    condition) for $53 with I intend to use on a D90 camera on the beach
    near the ocean. Perhaps you should give a thought to occasionally
    attending local Swap Meets.

    nick c, Jul 6, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Jul 7, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    swap meets are a great idea. filters tend to go for fairly cheap,
    assuming you find the right size one and in good condition.

    for lenses and cameras, you have to luck out. most sellers know what
    they're worth and they're priced accordingly. however, there are the
    occasional deals.

    unfortunately, ebay has had a huge effect on swap meets. now, swap
    meets are much smaller, if they exist at all. sellers can usually get
    more money for stuff on ebay (especially broken stuff), and without the
    hassle of packing up a car or truck, waking up very early, unloading it
    and trying to sell it, then bringing back whatever didn't sell.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Tony doesn't say it's not possible, but he doesn't think it to be
    necessarily true. This could be from the edge or the side of the lens
    striking the hard surface and the resulting torsion cracking the lens.
    In fact, this is more likely than the lens face falling on a rock that
    cracked the lens.

    Try dropping a lens held vertically and see if continues to fall in
    the vertical. When attached to the body, it will quickly start to
    rotate so the lens face won't be horizontal to the ground.
    Unattached, it will still rotate.

    When it rotates, the edge or the side of the lens hits first. This
    can crack the lens.

    If it did fall vertically, and a lens hood was in place, the lens hood
    would have taken the impact. That doesn't mean the lens wouldn't have
    been cracked, but it makes it less likely.

    Anyway you look at it, a filter most probably would not have helped.

    tony cooper, Jul 7, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Is there a ding anywhere on the rim?
    You really don't know. Now you're not even sure if the lens was
    dropped. It could have been swung into something. If it was attached
    to the body, the camera was unlikely to drop with the lens face first.
    The weight of the body would cause it to rotate.

    A filter in place would not have hurt, but may not have helped.

    It doesn't make much difference at this point.

    tony cooper, Jul 7, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    You've already posted to photo.net under the name RockSock Doc.

    tony cooper, Jul 7, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    RichA Guest

    Gee, who'da thought? :)

    RichA, Jul 7, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    it probably would have helped save the lens. the impact was on the
    front glass and a filter would have protected that.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    nick c Guest

    What you say sounds logical and I would be wise to agree but I know
    people who frequented e-bay who now claim they would not buy anything
    off of e-bay again.

    As for Swap Meets, I submit for your consideration a personal experience.

    Some time ago, I bought a Canon PowerShot G12 camera to use as a
    knock-about camera. I also bought the Canon filter adapter FA-DC58B that
    fits on the G12 so that filters could be used. What I also wanted but
    could not find (at the time) was a good screw-on wide angle metal lens
    shade. Lens shades are plentiful but I particularly wanted a round metal
    lens shade so I could use 58mm Polaroid filters without having to be
    concerned about lens shade orientation. When cruising through a Swap
    Meet I saw an old unscratched Tokina AT-X 28-135mm metal lens shade and
    a Hoya HMC 58mm 1B Filter. I bought both of them for $8.00. When I
    returned home, I rummaged though my photo junk box and found a step-up
    ring that fits both the Canon filter adapter and the Tokina 28-135mm
    lens shade. I now have what I wanted. It looks weird to see the large
    (28-135mm) Tokina lens shade on a Canon camera but it all works
    extremely well for me.

    E-bay may be suitable to others but I don't frequent the site.

    nick c, Jul 7, 2012
  12. All the major manufacturers make multi-coated filters -- B+W, Hoya.

    What it does is it reduces the optical problems caused by adding two
    more air/glass interfaces.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 7, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    ebay is no different than buying used stuff anywhere else. you have to
    do your homework and know what you're buying and what it's worth. if
    you don't, you risk getting screwed. the same thing can happen at a
    swap meet too.
    sounds great! i've also found some amazing deals at swap meets.
    unfortunately, they're the exception, not the rule.

    what i like most about swap meets is seeing all sorts of stuff you
    don't see every day.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    J. Clarke Guest

    Some people can break a rock.

    J. Clarke, Jul 7, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    you weren't there either.

    i looked at his photo, the same thing you did.
    hilarious. you can't even see your own shit you spew.

    Guest, Jul 7, 2012
  16. I have recently seen a filter company advertising that they use "high
    index glass" for that!

    ;-)

    Laszlo Lebrun, Jul 7, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    That's why I don't claim to know where the impact was.
    You can't tell from that.

    tony cooper, Jul 7, 2012
  18. I take my camera, and usually a few lenses, everywhere I go. It goes
    with me nearly every time I leave the house. I'm an old guy too, but
    in pursuit of photographs, fun, or curiosity I still climb over fences
    and walls, up trees and cliffs, paddle up streams, etc..

    I can't afford to buy rugged gear, so I ruggedise it myself. In other
    words, I carry everything in individual padded bags, and all my camera
    gear bags are also well padded. That works very well.

    I have broken one camera and a couple of lenses when in use by my own
    carelessness. I've learned by experience and either avoid doing those
    things or do them with better protection against accidents.

    I can't afford rainproof gear but I like shooting in the rain. So I
    use camera raincoats. Beach sand is a big nuisance so I've developed
    handling procedures which keep it out of my camera. Condensation is
    scary, so I've learned how it works and how to combat it.

    If you can't afford or can't get a rugged enough camera you need to
    ruggedise it and your methods of using it yourself. Since you're still
    alive you've obviously learned how to keep yourself safe and
    reasonably comfortable. What's the problem in taking the same attitude
    to your camera gear?

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 7, 2012
  19. Your fault.
    Ah, yes, you want the filter *and* the front elements to break
    under the impact. Sure thing, go ahead. We need someone to
    funnel money into the industry.
    Yes, if you force them all the time, some day they will fall off.
    Usually people can get 5 or 10 years out of them.
    I'm sure there was a passage in the instructions not to leave
    the battery in for days.
    Happens every time you use them as sledge hammers.
    Guaranteed.

    But, duh, at these cheap lens prices you can buy a lot.
    Happens every time you use them as sledge hammers.
    Guaranteed.

    But, duh, at these cheap camera prices you can buy quite a few.
    It's called a sledge hammer. They're much cheaper. They take
    a *lot* of mishandling. You can drop them from over your head.
    You can smash them into rocks and concrete walls. They can be
    taken most everywhere. They should do almost everything you need.
    They can even take a bullet.

    You can even make images with them, just use a chisel and a stone
    plate. But don't whack it to hard, or the image quality suffers.

    Anyway, a normal ruggedized camera won't work for you. Not
    even something like (random url)
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1621

    An additional deep underwater housing won't work for you.

    You need to look at stuff like
    http://www.visntec.com/Vision-Technologies-Products/p/3
    http://www.dvsmil.com/custom.html

    Military cameras such as
    http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/military.html
    won't handle the abuse you routinely subject your cameras to.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 7, 2012
  20. Well, *I* don't take my cameras when jumping from the 10 meter
    board. That would require at least "1000m" water depth resistance.

    I have carried a p&s for years on my belt. I've had it ding
    against various stuff, had it drop a couple times when the sewing
    of the leather (not padded) strip for the belt on the camera
    holster failed. I had it resewed then.

    The camera was bought 2004 and is still in well working condition
    --- well, the LiIon battery is getting old now.

    Way more care than you do.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 7, 2012