Where to get parts for a Nikon D5000 SLR, with DX VR: AF-S Nikkor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012.

  1. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    OK. So I ordered the parts for the VR lens.
    There are three lenses for which the parts are different, so that's why
    it took so long. I bought three of them (just in case):
    - Bayonet mount, PN 1C999-601-2, $9.45 + 10% tax + shipping

    Apparently there is a 'ribbon' underneath the bayonet so they said to be
    gentle when removing the bayonet.

    They figured out the part based purely on my description (they say they
    sell hundreds of them a day!). Seems to me this part is badly designed
    when it can't even take a bump against the lens ... but again, I'm not
    blaming them. It's my fault for buying a plastic camera.

    At one point, I had thought Nikon was better than the rest, but the Nikon
    plastic is as lousy as anyone else's plastic design. Sigh. My fault.
    Nobody elses.

    BTW, I gave up on trying to get from them the exploded diagram of the
    lens. I'm shocked they don't provide it. I fix a lot of stuff and having
    the exploded parts diagram is a basic need.

    What I'm learning is that Nikon isn't all that great of a camera but
    again, it's not Nikon's fault. I'm sure they're selling plenty.

    What I need to find, when I break this plastic camera (I give it a year
    or two since I'm trying to be super careful nowadays), is a metal camera
    that is actually robust enough to handle normal bumps and jostles.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    It's done all the time. Usually, the ad states "For parts only".

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    In hindsight, that is GREAT advice. I should have done that. I didn't.
    I just ordered the part.
    - $9.45 Bayonet Mount PN 1C999-601-2
    (Unfortunately no exploded diagram or instructions are yet available.)

    So, if I fail, I lose not only the lens, but the cost of the 3 bayonets I
    just ordered.

    I should have read this BEFORE I ordered the parts, but I didn't see it
    until now. Lesson learned for next time (luckily I have plenty of Nikons
    and lenses to repair because they all break from just simple bumps and
    drops).

    Here's just a picture of some that I pulled off the top of my camera box:
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8663059/img/8663059.jpg

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Does this mean that my Nikon D50 and Nikon D60 lenses will fit my newish
    Nikon D5000 (and vice versa)?

    If so, maybe I can mix and match from the Costco boxes (I have a few more
    broken Nikons deep down on the bottom) that I might be able to
    frankenstein another camera out of.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Here is a picture I just took, quickly digging into my Nikon camera box,
    which shows a 'spar' in the glass of the lens on what was then a brand
    new Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 G lens.

    The kids dropped it about six inches onto the rocks while boy scout
    camping. It caused a half-inch u-shaped 'spar' in the flat glass of the
    lens.
    http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8663221/640/8663221.jpg

    Do you know if this 'flat glass' can be replaced?

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Here's a picture I took just now of that 'spar' in the flat glass of the
    lens.
    http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/8663221/640/8663221.jpg

    Do you think that flat glass can be replaced?

    BTW, this is from either the Nikon D40 or the Nikon D50 (I have both).
    It's in my spare parts box which is where all my broken Nikons go.

    I don't know much about cameras. I just love to take pictures of people
    (pictures are forever) doing things.

    How do I find out which lenses I have will work with the cameras I have?
    - Nikon D50
    - Nikon D60
    - Nikon D5000

    Each came (from Costco) with two lenses.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Hi Tony,
    Again, my fault.

    I have had a lot of cameras.

    In the olden days, I had GOOD cameras. We're talking cameras built in
    East Germany in the 50s or 60x. I think my first was an Exacta or
    something like that.

    Then I had the Canon AE's (a few of them). They lasted less than the East
    German camera - but they lasted longer than the Nikons do now.

    Then I had a Maxim or something like that. A big heavy autofocus camera
    (which was a big deal way back when).

    Then I went to a plethora of point-and-shoot cameras. All broke within a
    year. They had the promise of portability but the battery doors on the
    Nikon Coolpix were total crap, and the lenses on the Olympus jutted out
    once too many times crooked, etc. They all sucked. Plus they took crappy
    photos. And the Powershots, which were much bigger, still all broke. And
    the underwater Olympus was a miserable camera - yet it's still working!
    (go figure!)

    So I ditched the point and shoots and went for the "professional" brand.
    Nikon. My first Nikon SLR was a dismal disaster. It still works .. it was
    the 5000 or something like that. But the battery charger design was
    atrocious. You'd think a big camera company could come up with a charger
    that didn't fry the (then) expensive batteries. That's when I learned a
    Nikon is useless when the battery is dead (which it always was since it
    lasted all of five or ten minutes, at most).

    I figured it was my fault for not buying a 'better' Nikon ... so that's
    when I went to the D50, D60, and now D5000. Turns out, they're all crap
    (for what I need). Sure, they take GREAT pictures! But they break the
    moment you drop them or jostle them or get them wet in the rain.

    In effect, I now know (my fault) that Nikon makes crap and I bought crap.
    It's not Nikon's fault. It's mine.

    I wonder if they actually make a camera that is sturdy?

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    there's nothing ridiculous about it. it's *common* *sense*.
    get real yourself and stop twisting things.

    i never said he should buy anything.

    all i'm saying is you have *no* idea whatsoever about the condition of
    a part you've never seen, nor do you know at what price a given store
    will sell it.

    you're full of assumptions.

    the only thing you've said that has any validity is the lens is not
    worth fixing.

    as i said, flip it on ebay and buy something better. even getting
    another one of the same lens will likely cost less than buying the part
    and the hassle of fixing it.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    someone might make that, but it would be awful.

    if you really want it, go to a glass shop and have them cut a circular
    piece of ordinary window glass and mount it in a filter ring.

    for the filter ring, you can probably find broken filters for next to
    nothing at a camera shop. remove the shards and you have a ring for the
    glass. they might even give you one for free.

    however, it's a sheer waste of time, because you can get a cheap crappy
    filter that will be better than that for a few bucks.

    the point is you should *not* get a cheap filter, unless you don't care
    about the quality of the results, in which case you would be better off
    with a cheap camera. it's stupid to spend a lot of money on an slr and
    multiple lenses, only to put a buck's worth of glass in front of it.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Hey, no fair. That's three issues! :)

    I don't blame Nikon for making the junk I bought (5000, Coolpix, D50,
    D60, and now the D5000) . I do blame myself. I buy from Costco. Whatever
    they have. And, of course, I now know they have only the junk. Lesson
    learned.

    It's like my BMW E39. All my friends said it was a 'great car' when I
    bought it new. And it was ... for about a year or two. Yet, it breaks all
    the time. Stupid things. Lousy cupholders which are a joke. The seat
    switch breaks the minute you kick it. The pixels blow out on the dash and
    MID display. The trunk wiring loom must have been designed by monkeys so
    it chafes the wires. The third brake light was designed by someone who
    forgot ohms law, so it always melts. The sealed headlights are pretty but
    the adjusters are made of PBT plastic so they crumble to pieces in the
    heat of the housing. The VANOS seals are the wrong rubber so they
    crumble. The DISA valve is made of plastic so it ruins engines when the
    pin is sucked into the intake manifold. Speaking of ruining engines, lots
    of cars have plastic radiators but the BMW plastic must be triply
    recycled because EVERYONE has had to replace that and their expansion
    tank. And don't even get me started on the CCV (aka PCV) system!

    I could go on and on, but BMW makes garbage just like Nikon does. It's
    not their fault. It's my fault for buying such garbage. Yes, I fix it -
    and I learn - and next time I'll try to be smarter. But I'm not abusing
    my BMW. I'm just driving it. It shouldn't break when I just drive it.

    Likewise with my Nikon. It shouldn't break when I'm just using it.

    The only thing I disagree with you is that I don't intentionally abuse
    anything. I simply use the camera. So, if I go hiking, I take the camera
    hiking. If I go to the beach, I take the camera to the beach. If I go
    kayaking, I take the camera kayaking. If I go on vacation, I take the
    camera on vacation. If I go to the mall, I take the camera to the mall.
    And I snap pictures all day every day.

    It just happens, that if you use a camera, you bump it, drop it, jostle
    it, and carry it.

    I've learned, the hard way, that the Nikons I bought all will break if
    you simply drop them six inches onto a hard surface. Whose fault is that?
    Mine of course. But, I expect a camera to be able to go where I go.
    Period.

    These Nikons I bought are junk. But that's not Nikon's fault nor yours.
    It's mine for buying them. But it's what I own now and that's why I'm
    trying to fix it. I should get the parts in a few days.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    then don't.
    the lens is not unique. many people have that lens or have seen the
    lens and know what filter it takes. those who don't can look it up
    online. 52mm is a common size for that class of lens. 72 & 77mm are
    common for higher end lenses.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    you can sell almost anything on ebay.

    as long as you disclose it's broken, there's nothing wrong with selling
    broken stuff. someone might want it for parts, or maybe they have the
    necessary parts to fix yours.

    many times, broken stuff sells for close to what the same thing in good
    condition does, and in some cases, for more. you never know.

    here's a broken 18-55mm that sold for $41
    <http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-18-55MM-1-3-5-5-6G-VR-WIDE-
    ANGLE-SLR-ZOOM-LENS-AS-IS-PARTS-/261051128502>

    This was returned to us and the buyer explained this issue.. "The
    bracket that connects to the camera is broken from the inside and
    does not mount the camera properly resulting in a mechanical clicking
    noise when attempting to focus and auto focus does not function."

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    nonsense right back. the face of the lens is very exposed, and for some
    lenses (mostly wide angle), it's *very* exposed.
    nonsense. a lens hood cannot offer more protection than a filter which
    *covers* the front of the lens.
    lens caps don't work too well when you want to take photos.
    it was a nikon lens cap that came with the nikon lens.

    just because you've never had it happen doesn't mean it can't ever
    happen to others.
    i sure have. i own several nikon lenses, all with their respective
    hoods.
    very wrong. nikon makes a *lot* of different hoods for their lenses.

    <http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/list/Lens_Hoods/categoryI
    D.43893300/?results=200>
    it has everything to do with the sensor. think about it for a moment.
    and less effective.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    tony will say that's not possible.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    absolutely.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    that's yet another assumption.
    the advice was not wrong so there's nothing to admit. turns out he
    bought the part new.

    now maybe you'll admit your advice was wrong but i'm not holding my
    breath.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. my coolpix got hundreds of photos on a single charge and my
    nikon slr gets close to 2000 photos per charge, which lasts for months
    unless i'm out shooting something in particular.
    nonsense. they may not be as rugged as a d3 class camera, but they do
    *not* break the moment you drop or jostle them.
    either you got a string of defective cameras from several different
    manufacturers, or you treat your equipment like shit. i know which one
    i think it is.
    many cameras as well as many lenses.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    almost all nikon ai lenses from the late 1970s will fit and work.

    the older non-ai lenses will work on the d60 and d5000 only. do *not*
    try a non-ai lens on the d50. those are lenses from the 1960s and early
    1970s and it's highly unlikely you have any anyway.

    also, the d60 and d5000 requires the lens to have an internal focus
    motor (afs in nikon lens lingo) for autofocus to function, but
    otherwise the lens will work. most nikon lenses these days have
    internal motors so you probably don't have to worry about it. if you
    have an older nikon af lens from the 1990s, it may not have an internal
    focus motor and will work in manual focus (but with focus
    confirmation).

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    I think you're adding up apples and oranges and coming up with a total
    in tomatoes.

    I bought my Nikon D40 in March, 2008. The first time I incurred any
    damage was just a couple of months ago when the camera fell out of the
    back end of my RAV4 when I opened the door because I had carelessly
    stowed it loose. I normally use my D60, but sometimes use both
    cameras with a different lens on each. Saves me from changing lenses.

    I'm not particularly careful with my camera. Too often, I kept one on
    the front seat of the car and it fell to the floor when I braked.
    Now, I have a box with a towel lining it secured by the seatbelt on
    the front seat.

    Where you buy a camera - we're talking about new, only here - has
    nothing to do with resulting damage. I buy from Adorama or B&H only
    when buying new DSLR equipment, but I just bought a carry-along
    compact Fuji F600exr from Amazon.

    Costco's not the problem.

    My 35mm film camera served me for 30-some years without a single
    problem.
    I don't think they're "garbage". You make a decision about how much
    you can or will spend, and you buy what you can for that amount. You
    don't get as well-built a camera for $540 (my cost for that D40 with
    two lenses and a bag) as you do for $1,000, but you shouldn't expect
    to.

    I'll buy a better camera when I outgrow what the D40 and D60 can do.
    So far, my skills in photography aren't constricted by the camera.

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012