    true. it's not worth fixing. it's a cheap lens. sell it on ebay and use
    the funds to buy something better. people pay surprisingly high prices
    for broken lenses there.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    take your own advice.
    all that says is that independent stores can no longer buy parts
    directly from nikon. that doesn't mean they can't get parts in other
    ways.

    my local camera shop still repairs nikon products and they're not an
    authorized service center.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    which it can easily be.
    and if it is the front element, then it does.
    neither are lenses. it's a whole lot better to replace a $10 filter
    than a $100 lens (in this case).

    4. the lens cap comes off inside the camera bag and scratches nearby
    glass. this happened to me. fortunately, i had a filter and only had to
    replace the filter.
    true, but that has nothing to do with using a filter. both a lens cap
    and a hood can be used with filters.
    the rigid hoods flip around so there's no issue in fitting in a camera
    bag. they are also more effective since they're built for a specific
    lens and the aspect ratio of the sensor. rubber hoods are generic.

    as for shadows, learn how to properly use flash and you won't get a
    shadow.
    it is definitely proven, but if you can't see the difference then you
    don't need to buy expensive filters.
    that's the only good advice you've given.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    usually they are, and priced accordingly. not always though.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    no he doesn't. there are better and less expensive options.

    Guest, Jul 6, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    K W Hart Guest

    The "where" answer is any reputable camera store, either local or online.
    The why is a bit trickier: When you look through your living room window at
    the street outside, you may see reflections or glare, depending on lighting,
    angle of view, etc. The coating reduces or eliminates this.
    Many people use a UV or Skylight filter on their lens all the time. These
    filters are fairly inexpensive.

    K W Hart, Jul 6, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    It was a looooooong wait! I've been on for almost an hour!
    And I'm still waiting!

    My battery is running low on my laptop - so - I'm going to post where I
    left off while on (seemingly permanent) hold with Nikon ...

    Nikon Support/Service/Repair: www.nikonusa.com (click on 'service')
    5AM-9PM Mon-Sun Pacific, 800-Nikon-US, 800-645-6687

    Amazingly, this is the "correct" sequence at the 800 number:
    a) x1 = US
    b) x5 = Repairs (or press x3 for lenses)
    c) x5 = Parts (or press x0 for a representative)
    d) x2 = Representative
    e) x1 = Parts (FAX = 310-322-6979)

    Nikon Parts direct number:
    7AM-3PM Mon-Fri Pacific, 310-414-8107

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    So does the camera repair shop I use. I've known the guy for 20-some
    years because he's a friend of my son. However, he's now using all
    cannibalized parts from other Nikons and the old new stock he had
    before the change. He can buy "gray market" Nikon stuff from Japan,
    but that means it takes months for a simple repair. He can also
    network other shops, but this particular part so frequently in need of
    replacement that they're not findable.

    Your own shop is probably doing the same.

    Just admit it...you gave wrong advice and are too embarrassed to admit
    it.

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Hi Tony,

    I was remiss in not mentioning that this store only sells used equipment.
    And, that I didn't drop the equipment. They sold me a 400mm lens which
    started making noises as I focused just about a month after I bought it.
    I should have brought it back then, but I wasn't sure what the problem
    was. Then, it broke altogether. Similar thing happened with a used flash
    unit. I concluded that buying from that store was a waste, especially
    since they offer no return - just credit, and even then, only within 30
    days.
    I agree. It's my fault for buying from them. That's why I don't go there
    anymore. You'd do the same.
    That's true. If it's going to break because it was badly repaired (e.g.,
    if it was glued together), then it's gonna break no matter whom we bought
    it from.

    That's why I prefer to do my own repairs!
    WHich is why I'm asking you for advice! :)
    Of course. My fault, actually, is in buying a "plastic" Nikon D5000.

    I've had the D3000 and the D5000, and I take pictures every single day. I
    take pictures of people. And, people 'do stuff'. I take it hiking, I take
    it biking, I take it to school. I take it to work.

    It gets dropped. It's just what happens. This time, I was working on my
    car, fixing a part, and the camera bumped against something and fell
    about a foot onto hard garage concrete.

    I do agree ... it's my fault (I don't think I ever said it wasn't).

    But that doesn't negate the desire to 'fix' the camera.

    All I'm asking for is help in finding the exploded diagram.
    Note: I would think you guys do this all the time.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I called Nikon. They 'do' sell parts to individuals. I'm still on the
    line with them (it has been about an hour or so ... as I wasn't
    counting) ... but they 'do' sell parts!

    Yippee! They are transferring me now ... I'll write back with details!

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    What a ridiculous position. You are suggesting gambling about $70 for
    a part that may or may not be worn to repair a lens that is available
    new on eBay for about $100. It wouldn't be returnable since it has to
    be installed for some time to know if the wear will be a problem. Get
    real.

    This is not just some small part that doesn't have to be a perfect
    install. It's the part that attaches and locks the lens to the body.
    Even if the lens *almost* attaches and locks, the camera displays "No
    lens attached" and won't take a photo.

    The first thing the OP should do is try to remove that part from his
    present lens. If he can't successfully remove it, he won't be able to
    install a replacement. I've tried it, and I know what I'm talking
    about.

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I'm with you on that! It's my fault for buying a camera that has a
    plastic part. I'm still on the phone with Nikon right now, and they
    haven't yet found an 'exploded diagram' so they're still identifying the
    part number from my description alone.

    Sheesh. You'd think they could just refer me to a parts diagram online so
    I could point to the part just like every other company in the world does!

    I'm amazed. How are you supposed to order parts (which they do sell to
    individuals) without having a parts diagram???
    The support person I first got told me that the three screws do come out
    and that the part is a "bayonet mount" and it's the most common part they
    sell. They said there are three different ones for that lens, and that
    the "VR" is critical to tell them to get the right part.

    He said there is a ribbon that is attached to the "bayonet mount" which
    you have to be delicate with. He too said he had an exploded parts
    diagram but that Nikon wants to only sell new equipment and thereofre
    doesn't offer the exploded diagram to anyone, not even the dealers (he
    said).

    I can't believe a reputable company on this planet doesn't provide parts
    diagrams ... so I asked for a supervisor. I'm on hold ... as we type.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    You can sell a broken lens on ebay?

    I never would have thought of that.

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    It's a Costco camera set. It was probably around $1,000 when I bought the
    package. It came with the camera, two lenses, and a case.

    No filter. :(

    I just can't comprehend spending $150 for a lens (which is technically a
    complicated thing) and then spending 20% for a piece of glass to screw on
    the front.

    Anyway, that's 'my problem' ... :)

    One question: How did you guys know it was a 52mm filter size?
    (I don't see that in the specifications for the lens.)

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Hi Floyd,
    I don't disagree with you. I take thousands of pictures, and I do
    perfectly fine without a filter. What I need is protection for the lens.
    That's all. For that, the simplest piece of 52mm glass is all I want. :)

    That's all I was asking for. :)

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    OK. That makes sense that this would cost money.

    But, do they make a 'filter' that is just a normal piece of 52mm glass?

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Nonsense. The face of the lens is the least exposed element if the
    camera is dropped.
    The lens hood offers more protection.
    There's a better solution than a cheap filter: a lens cap.
    Buy better lens caps. I've never had that happen.
    Built for a specific lens? Only in diameter to fit just like the
    generic rubber hoods that screw on. Have you actually ever seen the
    Nikon rigid lens hoods for these lenses? They are generic for all
    52mm lenses. It has nothing to do with the sensor. What kind of
    bullshit are you on about now?

    The rubber hoods screw on and stay on. Much less bother than
    flipping.
    The built-in flash (which is what I specified in my statement) will
    cause a shadow with the lens hood on when you are photographing
    close-ups (aka: macros, but not real macros). No technique used the
    photographer can stop that. When doing close-ups using the built-in
    flash, you need to either remove a rigid hood or roll back the rubber
    one.

    Personally, I use a Nikon Speedlight instead of the built-in flash.
    I can't see the difference because I don't use cheap filters.
    Even if so, one more piece than you've provided.

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Hi Tony,
    You know what? I've had MANY Nikon's over the past 10 years, all from
    Costco. All broke. (yeah, my fault).

    Just for you, I grabbed the top-most broken cameras in my camera box and
    I see there a Nikon D50 and a Nikon D60 among the carnage. Here's a shot
    I just took with the Nikon D5000:
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/8663059/640/8663059.jpg

    This is only about half of them.

    In hindsight, of course, I should have never bought the Nikon (they're
    all plastic garbage) nor the Canons (more plastic garbage).

    The best I ever had was my first camera ... it was from East Germany, and
    it lasted for about 5 years before it broke in my college days. Since
    then, the next best was the first autofocus camera ever made (I forget
    the brand but it was HEAVY and STURDY). But it too broke.

    I'm so sick and tired of cameras not being able to go where people go
    that I even tried a few of the waterproof cameras (they sucked in picture
    quality and in ability to use them in above-ground situations).

    So I'm really dismayed - but I figured I could at least FIX this tiny
    piece of plastic which is just designed to break on the Nikon cameras.

    So, that's all I'm trying to do ...
    a) Find the exploded diagram for the lens
    b) Identify the part and buy the part
    c) Replace the part

    I'm still on hold with Nikon USA ...

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Funny you should mention that.

    I have a "Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 G" lens that I took to a boy
    scout trip and the kids dropped it on the rocks. It cracked the lens in
    front (I could take a picture if you want).

    I had forgotten all about it but just pulled it out of the camera box.
    Had I a glass filter, it would likely have saved the lens.

    The point is that most of this damage is from extremely minor boo boos.
    The Nikons I bought are basically junk. I can't imagine a 'real'
    photographer, one who actually goes places with his camera, putting up
    with such tiny plastic breaking and making the lens useless.

    He'd be out of a job using this crap. But again, it's nobody's fault but
    mine that I bought it. Now I only want to repair it. That's all.

    I'm getting somewhere on the phone. The part number is apparently found:
    - PN 1C999-601-2 Bayonet Mount

    Now they're finding ordering information ... as we type ...

    Arklin K., Jul 6, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    That changes the picture entirely. If I was going to buy used stuff,
    I'd buy from KEH or Adorama. KEH is probably the best source.
    http://www.keh.com/ They've got your replacement lens listed at $99.
    I thought you said you dropped your DS300 or the lens.
    Well, there you go.

    I dropped mine, too. It happens.
    First, try to remove the old part. That will give you an idea whether
    or not you could replace the part.

    tony cooper, Jul 6, 2012