    Arklin K. Guest

    For me, the long URL comes in perfectly (i.e., really long) on Pan on
    Linux.

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Unfortunately, I don't remember. It probably was neither weeks nor years.
    It was probably a matter of a few months.

    But, I digress. The main topic was how to get parts.
    The answer was to call Nikon and buy them.

    I don't think we ever got a satisfactory answer to how to find the part
    numbers as Nikon said they don't have exploded diagrams (which I find
    suspect).

    Luckily, the parts that arrived 'appear' to be the parts that broke ...
    so I'm ok, for now.

    As for the filter ... I gotta' get me a few! :)

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Don't consider me an expert ... but my first thought when I viewed those
    batteries exploding in that charging bag was that they were obviously
    overcharging the batteries to the point of failure.

    I think, based on my read of the DPReview comments, the faulty Nikon
    CP5000 battery charger doesn't do that.

    What it appears to do is charge the full cycle, whether or not the
    battery needs it.

    What that means, to me anyway, is that it's not enough to blow the
    battery up ... but it's more than the battery needs (unless it was flat
    dead when you put it in).

    So, in effect, the way I read the DPReview comments is that the battery
    gets more charge than it needs, but not enough to blow it up.

    I think we're talking matters of degrees.

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    that's exactly what they were doing. they were demonstrating that their
    bag could protect against an explosion, so they intentionally made them
    explode.

    the reason i linked that video was to show what could happen if you
    overcharge a lithium ion battery.
    then it's not faulty and is not 'cooking the batteries.'
    no it definitely doesn't do that.

    what part of overcharging a lithium ion battery risk an explosion do
    you not understand?

    if it did a full charge cycle on a battery that wasn't completely
    discharged, it would overcharge it and possibly cause a fire or
    explosion.

    the only way it could do a full charge cycle is if it fully discharged
    the battery and *then* did a full charge cycle, which would be insanely
    stupid because not only would the process take far longer than it
    should, it would be wasting the limited number of charge cycles of the
    battery. nobody would be stupid enough to design a charger that way.
    it doesn't do that. see above.
    dpreview is wrong. why is that so difficult to accept?
    no we're not.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    David Taylor Guest

    I have a friend with a Coolpix 5000 and they didn't have that problem,
    and neither did my own Coolpix 5700 or Coolpix 8400. It's possible that
    the chargers supplied in Europe were different to the ones for the USA -
    they had a 2-pin mains connector on the charger with a lead for the
    plug. I no longer have my 5700.

    David Taylor, Jul 13, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I give up. You 'are' more persistent than I am, and that's saying
    something ... but neither of us has anything new to bring to the
    table ... so let's just agree to disagree and get back on topic.

    Back on topic ...

    I don't think we ever ascertained how to easily obtain the exploded
    diagrams for the affected lenses.

    The suggestions that were provided did not pan out, unfortunately.

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012
  8. Sure, and I own a couple governments. Unfortunately, they always
    break in revolutions and I loose my myrmidons. Just look at the
    Tunisia, Lybia and Syria.

    Why should *your* claim be any more believable than *mine*?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 13, 2012
  9.
    Chris Malcolm, Jul 13, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Ummm... because I'm adding value perhaps.

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012
  11. Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 13, 2012
  12. With NiMH that would work, it'd only take 16 or more hours.
    Do you think it could work with LiIon? Did the charge cycle
    take more than 10 hours?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 13, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Both versions require me, using Agent, to remove the >s four times.
    Only the first line is highlighted in color with the underline
    indicating a clickable link.

    They are identical on my screen.

    tony cooper, Jul 13, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    tony cooper, Jul 13, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    I use Forte Agent Version 1.93 (copyrighted 1995-2005 according to the
    splash) I haven't upgraded to later versions because I see no
    improvement for my use in the later versions, and like the way 1.93
    works)

    tony cooper, Jul 13, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    As far as I can tell, none of the diagrams on that page will be
    helpful in replacing the part that Arklin is replacing. The schematic
    he wants (and I want) shows how the bayonet mount ring piece is
    attached/removed/added to the lens. Strangely, for a search on Nikon
    lens parts, many of the diagrams are for Olympus lenses. There may be
    a reason for that that I don't know. It's not my bag.

    While we are on the subject of newsgroup postings, how about you -
    Eric - adding a sig line delimiter so your "Regards, Eric Stevens" is
    stripped when replying. What is it? Two dashes followed by a white
    space character on a single line?

    tony cooper, Jul 13, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    You snipped my addition about the need for a market for the version.
    If there's a market for the product, that solves the economic reason.

    tony cooper, Jul 13, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    if it's trickle charging, it's not doing a 'full charge cycle'. a lot
    of chargers drop to trickle charge when the battery is fully charged
    (which requires sensing its charge) to maintain a full charge.

    that may be what confused dpreview in thinking it's doing a full cycle
    when it was just doing a trickle charge.

    it definitely is not doing a full charge cycle. there is no question
    about it.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    i'm only persistent when someone continues to parrot nonsense.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Now, work on that delimiter that strips your sig lines.

    tony cooper, Jul 14, 2012