  1. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    please do. it will help everyone who reads your posts.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    then it didn't destroy them.
    that's normal. batteries do not last forever.
    sounds like it may have been defective.
    guess what? replacement batteries don't last forever either.

    how long did the battery last when new and how long did it take until
    it lasted 10-15 minutes? are we talking weeks or years? the former is a
    defective battery. the latter is normal.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    The are the same on my screen (Forte Agent), but your text lines
    extend off the screen. That's worse, as far as I'm concerned. I may
    or may not open the links, but I will always read the text.

    I'd rather see a TinyURL. When I'm posting to a group that may have
    some reservations about opening URLs, I usually provide both the full
    URL and the TinyURL.

    TinyURLs don't bother me. I only open the link if I recognize the
    poster and trust them.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Yes, some anonymous person identified as "nospam" is far more
    trustworthy than DPReview. What are we thinking? After all, we know
    that "nospam" is a knowledgeable and experienced photographer and
    camera user because...Oh, well, we don't.

    He says he bought the first Coolpix off the line or something like
    that. He *must* be trustworthy.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    sounds like agent is buggy.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    dpreview's claim is contrary to how lithium battery chemistry works.
    there are *numerous* references that confirm that and i posted a link
    that went into gory detail. i also posted a video that shows what
    happens.

    don't take my word for it, go do your own research and you'll see that
    dpreview is completely wrong (and not just this either, they make many
    mistakes).

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. usenet predates windows. it *can't* be the oldest newsreader
    around. the oldest newsreaders were command line based, such as rn.

    maybe it's the oldest newsreader on windows, but that doesn't mean
    much. it's still broken.
    nope. agent came out in 1994, so it's been 18 years.
    then it's always been broken.
    then they're intentionally non-compliant with the rfcs.
    nope. the rfc that discusses the format of urls talks about angle
    bracket delimiters and that goes back to 1994.

    agent is broken, and according to tony, it *adds* characters in
    addition to splitting the urls, which is really broken.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  8. [/QUOTE]
    Well, except for economic reasons.
    Designing seals that work well with interchangeable lenses would
    be a bit hard. Surely not impossible, but needing a new design
    --- which means very few lenses, one or maybe 2 bodies, all in
    small numbers and more expensive to build, too. And the lenses
    needs to not extend on zooming and focussing which means more
    expensive lens designs.

    Much better to have one item to do photography and one to do the
    water tightness.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 13, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    a lot of people still do. in many ways, they work a lot better for
    reading text based groups than a gui newsreader does if all you want is
    text and don't care about the binaries.

    in fact, a new version of tin was released almost 3 weeks ago:
    newswatcher on the mac goes back at least to the early 1990s, maybe
    even before that. it's changed a lot over the years, and mt-newswatcher
    is the current version (mt is for multi-threaded). a couple of other
    mac newsreaders are also based on the original newswatcher code.
    it's broken if it is not compliant with industry standards and
    needlessly breaks urls and inserts characters when it shouldn't.
    ok, 19 years.

    i can't see it taking more than 1 year to write a newsreader, if that
    long. it's not that difficult. it certainly doesn't take 3 years to do
    it.
    if it breaks urls and particularly if it inserts quote characters when
    not quoting, it is broken by any definition. it is not that hard to do
    properly.
    except, it isn't handling it properly. it's breaking urls and adding
    characters when it shouldn't.
    those are the rfcs that mention angle brackets, but it's not about
    newsreaders in particular, it's about how urls are to be delimited from
    surrounding text in any text based app.

    <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt>

    In addition, there are many occasions when URLs are included in other
    kinds of text; examples include electronic mail, USENET news
    messages, or printed on paper. In such cases, it is convenient to
    have a separate syntactic wrapper that delimits the URL and separates
    it from the rest of the text, and in particular from punctuation
    marks that might be mistaken for part of the URL. For this purpose,
    is recommended that angle brackets ("<" and ">"), along with the
    prefix "URL:", be used to delimit the boundaries of the URL. This
    wrapper does not form part of the URL and should not be used in
    contexts in which delimiters are already specified.
    then it's broken. the only reason to insert a quote character is when
    quoting text for a reply. there is *no* reason to add quote characters
    when reading posts.

    what if it added characters for ordinary text that was longer than one
    # line, like this? i am deliberately using a different quote character
    # so there would be no confusion with the actual quoted text.

    nobody would accept that with normal text so why should they accept it
    with urls?
    it is definitely not truncated when being sent.

    this is easily confirmed by reading my posts as well as other people's
    posts in three totally different newsreaders, one of which being a
    command line reader in a terminal emulator.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    It is not broken by my Forte Agent as the others have been.

    tony cooper, Jul 13, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    true, but it began life as newswatcher. john norstad went on to bigger
    and better things, so other people took over.
    according to wikipedia, agent came out in 1994, so if 1.5 was came out
    in 1995, it probably didn't start much before 1993, as i originally
    estimated.

    i didn't say it was mandatory. i said it helps software reliably detect
    entire urls, particularly ones which wrap on to multiple lines.

    otherwise, it has to guess and many times it will get it wrong.

    it's trivial to add them and it makes things work in a lot of software.
    there is no downside, other than typing 2 additional keys, which is
    insignificant.
    except they usually fail when a url wraps onto a second line.

    although these urls are shorter than the usual line length, it makes
    the point:

    <http://www.google.com/
    maps/>

    and

    http://www.google.com/
    maps

    yields different results.
    because that text is quoted.

    according to tony, agent is adding a quote character for a url that
    wraps onto a second line when *reading* the text. that's broken.
    it's wrapped onto 3 lines, but it is not clickable. i looked at it in
    two different newsreaders. if i copy/paste the entire blob (from either
    one), the browser loads the correct url (line endings and whitespace
    are automatically stripped).

    if it had <> delimiters, the entire url would be properly detected and
    it would be clickable, making it much easier to view.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    as i said in the other post, i see it as wrapped. if i copy/paste the
    entire blob, it works. there is no need to manually strip out line
    endings (the browser does that).

    if it had <>, i would not need to copy/paste, because the entire thing
    would have been detected as the url and it would have been clickable.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    without:

    https://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&output=search&sclie
    nt=psy-ab&q=nikon+d5000+parts+list&oq=parts+Nikon+D5000&gs_l=hp.1.2.0i30
    j0i5i30j0i8i30l2.28963.37865.0.45268.17.16.0.1.1.0.284.3566.2-16.16.0...
    0.0...1c.Vo8WKm-XFp0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=79ff5e6
    9f7a9d4b0&biw=1428&bih=952

    with:

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    that's exactly the problem. your software ignores <> delimiters.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    if your software supported <> delimiters, it would have worked even
    though there are embedded line endings in it.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    if it wraps, some software may add line endings and/or white space.
    that's *exactly* the problem that is solved by <>. urls can wrap, they
    can be broken with line endings and because software can reliably
    detect the beginning and end, it can properly reassemble it, if needed.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    MT (Multiple Thread) News Watcher came into existence in 1997 with
    version 2.3.3 and was based on News Watcher 2.1.6.

    What we know as News Watcher (non-Multi-Thread) came into existence
    circa 1988/9 when John Norstad, a senior SW developer at NorthWest
    University (NU), who had been working on MacTCP programing, used Harry
    Chelsey's "NetNews" HyperCard stack to read usenet news. Prior to that
    he had used UNIX readers. Then he found the work of Steve Falkenberg,
    an Apple engineer out of the University of Michigan who had written
    NewsWatcher and Norstad began to use it along with his "NetNews" stack.
    Some time in 1992 the crude News Watcher - NetNews setup crashed as it
    was unable to deal with the expansion of of the full group at NU.
    Norstad didn't want to return to arcane UNIX readers so he started work
    on fixing NewsWatcher, investing over 3 years in the project. It was
    Norstad who made the rewritten source code freely available after he
    retired from the project.
    Then Simon Fraser picked up the baton and began development of
    "Multi-Threaded NewsWatcher"

    The current version of MT-NW is 3.5.2, available as a Universal Binary.
    MT-NewsWatch 3.5.3b3 is the latest Beta.

    So NewsWatcher and MT-NewsWatcher have a history stretching back some 23 years.[/QUOTE]

    thanks for filling in the details.

    i remember harry chesley's netnews hypercard stack. it was very slick.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    it can't do so reliably when urls wrap. see my previous example.
    and an even later one from 2005 at
    lines 1887-8 from your link is exactly the same as in the 2005 version
    and reads:

    Using <> angle brackets around each URI is especially recommended as
    a delimiting style for a reference that contains embedded whitespace.

    note the phrase 'especially recommended'.

    Guest, Jul 13, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Drat.

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Interestingly, Pan refused to send it (with the 'wrap text' turned off).
    The error was: "441 Lines longer than 79 chars"
    That error message makes little sense to me, but the only way I can
    'send' this URL is to turn wrap text back on.

    Here it is, with 'wrap text' turned back on so it can be sent.

    Arklin K., Jul 13, 2012