    that's exactly why angle brackets are used to delimit urls, so that an
    url *can* wrap to multiple lines and be turned into a clickable url.
    you're the one who is uninformed and talking out your ass, as always.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    That's what *you* see, not what *I* see. That's the problem you have.
    You think that what you see is what everyone sees. Not so.

    My Agent truncates the line and inserts a carat: >attery-door>

    I can still use the URL if I open the post as if to respond and delete
    the carat. A tinyURL doesn't require these extra steps.
    You want a screen shot? Will you retract and apologize if I prove it?

    You remind me of the blind men and the elephant.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    So that's probably why the Nikon CP5000 destroyed the batteries.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I'm not here to argue.

    I'm just pointing out the quote from DPReview clearly says the Nikon
    CP1500 does not sense the battery charge level.

    DPReview clearly says the Nikon CP1500 battery charger just charges the
    battery a full cycle no matter what the state of the battery.

    That, and the fact both my batteries had a life of a few months (or so,
    as I don't remember the details), was enough for me to junk the Nikon
    Coolpix 5000 camera as, well, as junk.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Truncated on my screen. The first one's second line is >battery-door>
    and the second is the same without the following >. Doesn't make any
    difference at all.

    To open either one, I have to go to the end of the first line, hit
    "delete" twice (once for the space, once for the >). Then I can open
    it. A TinyURL is much easier for me to open.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Isn't there the possibility of a defective charger? Why junk the
    camera?

    (I don't know the camera model, so I'm assuming the battery is removed
    for charging.)

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    then you need a new newsreader. anything that truncates is very broken.

    or are you as confused as tony about what truncate means?
    url was properly detected and clickable. please continue to do that.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    your software is very broken.

    please do not force tinyurls on the world because you can't be bothered
    to get better software.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    did it explode?

    that's new. you keep changing the story.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    sure looks like you are.
    and i keep pointing out that is completely wrong.

    if it didn't detect the battery charge level, you'd be reading about
    how nikon cameras exploded due to overcharging.
    that's also wrong.

    just because it's on dpreview does not mean it's correct.
    your battery was defective. that happens.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    i never said what i see is what everyone sees. why do you repeatedly
    fabricate things???

    what i said was that urls should be delimited with angle brackets so
    that software can recognize when they wrap onto multiple lines.

    this is something that goes back 20 years. it's not new. time to get
    with the program.
    you obviously don't understand what truncate means, nor do you know the
    difference between a carat and angle bracket.

    if the url had been truncated, anything past 72 characters would be
    *gone* and you just confirmed that was not the case.

    what happened was the url wrapped onto a second line and was *split*
    into two parts. that is *not* truncation. the entire url is still
    there, but in pieces. worse, your software corrupted the url by adding
    an angle bracket to the second line for some bizarre reason.

    this is *exactly* why angle brackets are used to delimit urls, so that
    software can recognize a url from ordinary text as well as one that
    spans multiple lines and/or has embedded line endings or whitespace,
    and then turn it back into the original valid url.
    tinyurl exists because software does not properly handle long urls and
    instead of fixing the actual problem, someone came up with a lame hack.

    they are also a *huge* security risk. many people will wisely not click
    on a tinyurl because they have absolutely no idea where it might take
    them, until it's too late.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I understand.
    What I like about CR is that they actually buy the camera on the open
    market (so they don't get a factory ringer like DPReview does).

    But, as you said, they do precious few tests on the cameras.

    Sigh. We're on our own when we buy these things.

    If I only knew ... what I know now!

    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the bayonet swap this weekend. If
    successful ... I'll open a separate thread on the DIY so others benefit.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I thought it was my newsreader, Pan, that does the truncation at 72 characters. But I just checked Edit->Preferences and I don't see it there.

    So I'm not sure what causes the truncation ... but wait ... oh ... I think I see it under the actual 'post article' Edit->Wrap Text setting.

    I just turned 'wrap' text off.

    Here is the long link with the <> angle brackets:
    <http://my.opera.com/mcduret/blog/2006/12/07/fixing-nikon-coolpix-3100-battery-door>

    Here it is without:
    http://my.opera.com/mcduret/blog/2006/12/07/fixing-nikon-coolpix-3100-battery-door

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    dpreview has discussed the issue of factory ringers at length. they use
    enough cameras, both samples and real ones, to know when they're being
    duped. sometimes they even get duds and wait until they get a properly
    functioning unit.

    consumer reports also don't really understand what it is they're
    testing.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    angle brackets work either way.

    it's very simple to use angle brackets and lets properly written
    software to detect urls and make them clickable. you don't need to
    worry about wrapping or anything else. it 'just works.'

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Hi Tony,
    This is a good point. It was a few years ago, and it was my very first Nikon Coolpix.

    I loved the quality of the photos.

    But I really hated a lot about that Coolpix, so the fact it destroyed batteries was really the final straw.

    I still have it. So I 'guess' I could use it if I bought new batteries (which were horribly expensive in those days); but it would still be slooooooooow.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I agree on that. CR once tested motorcycles and they rated
    them on being too loud!

    Heh heh ...

    CR would never understand a camera the way DPReview does ...
    but ... at least I would hope that they would test ruggedness and
    battery life "over time" (with the over time being critical).

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    On 'my' newsreader (Pan), turning off 'wrap text' allowed lines greater than 72 characters, but the angle bracket didn't seem to matter.

    That is, both links were not truncated and both were clickable.

    Did it matter on your newsreader that the angle brackets were there?

    If so, I can easily manually add them.

    Arlkin

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    No. It did NOT explode. It just lost it's life. Over time.

    By the time I got frustrated, the battery lasted something like 10 or 15 minutes in the Nikon Coolpix 5000 camera.

    That was so bad that I bought a new battery. Guess what happened? Same thing. I don't remember the time periods but they were too short for me.

    So I junked the Nikon CP5000 and decided that Nikon didn't know how to engineer a simple battery charger.

    Maybe I was right ... Maybe I was wrong. But my only facts are:
    a) DPReview 'said' the charger wasn't all that smart
    b) My first battery died way too soon for my tastes
    c) My second battery died way too soon for my liking
    d) I wasn't all that happy with the camera in the first place

    So I junked it. I still have it. It's in my battery box with all the other junked Nikons.

    On the other hand ...
    With this new bayonet mount, at least I may resurrect some of my old Nikon SLRs!

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012