    I'm waiting with bated breath since I have the same lens with the same
    problem and have not figured out how to get the old piece off. I
    don't normally attempt this type of repair, though.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    i never said that.
    it can correct spelling and there's a way to disable it for those who
    prefer it to be off.
    except that you seem to always come up with things i did not say or
    mean.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    You said: "the proper word is compatible. in fact, if you google
    "nikon comparable lenses", google will show results for "nikon
    compatible lenses". maybe you should go tell google they're wrong."
    Q.E.D.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    google thinks your use of the word comparable is wrong (which it is),
    therefore it substituted the correct word when searching for that
    phrase.

    as i said, they have a search quality team dedicated to stuff like
    that. go argue with them. i'm sure they'll get a big kick out you.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  5.
    Chris Malcolm, Jul 12, 2012
  6. "Arklin K." wrote in message []
    While this is my fault for buying these cameras, I 'do' fault the review
    web sites like DPReview which don't review reliability very well.

    I think places like DPReview are really working for the camera companies,
    because they must use the camera for a few days and that's it 'cuz they
    should have noted BOTH these obvious problems in a long-term test.

    Most review sites (and their readers) are interested in new cameras - not
    long-term reviews of cameras they likely couldn't buy now. Not to say that
    such long-term reviews would not be of value.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 12, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    There is no reason one couldn't be designed and sold, though. I have
    a Canon AS-6 film camera that I used when scuba diving. There are
    disposable underwater cameras available. It's just a matter of
    designing a camera with effective seals.

    If there was a market for them, it would be done. As it is, the
    market is satisfied with dive cases for standard DSLRs.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I understand.

    When I read review sites like DPReview, I feel kind of like I do about
    BMW automobiles where the hard things (handling, power, safety, etc.) are
    done well, while the easy things (radiators, trunk wiring, headlight
    adjusters, etc.) are done horribly.

    It must be a matter of focus.

    Specifically, I'm astounded not that they focus on the hard tests (which
    they do a great job of), but that they omit the easy tests (which will
    kill a camera with the flip of a battery door).

    Such is as it is.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    That's because the long URL was truncated in transmission from me to you
    somehow.

    Here is a tinyurl for each:

    DIY TITLE: Fixing Nikon Coolpix 3100 Battery Door
    SHORT URL: http://tinyurl.com/7pqe8xh
    LONG URL: http://my.opera.com/mcduret/blog/2006/12/07/fixing-nikon-
    coolpix-3100-battery-door

    DIY TITLE: Fixing the Nikon Coolpix 3100/2100 camera battery door latch
    SHORT URL: http://tinyurl.com/6uommvq
    LONG URL: http://my.opera.com/coolpixfixer/blog/2007/10/15/this-is-how-i-
    fixed-my-nikon-coolpix-3100-battery-latch-door-i-post-it-here-so

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Cite please?

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Thank you.

    I think we've substantiated that there is reason to believe the Nikon
    CP5000 battery charger is not as smart as it should/could have been.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    nospam does his research in the Coach section of airplanes.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  13. "Arklin K." wrote in message
    I understand.

    When I read review sites like DPReview, I feel kind of like I do about
    BMW automobiles where the hard things (handling, power, safety, etc.) are
    done well, while the easy things (radiators, trunk wiring, headlight
    adjusters, etc.) are done horribly.

    It must be a matter of focus.

    Specifically, I'm astounded not that they focus on the hard tests (which
    they do a great job of), but that they omit the easy tests (which will
    kill a camera with the flip of a battery door).

    Such is as it is.

    When I read DP Review I feel they cover many usability aspects quite well,
    and I would likely read more than just DPR before a major purchase.
    Long-term tests are missing, but in the several weeks they have anything
    major which might affect the majority of users /should/ be discovered.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 12, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    An organization like DPReview reports on quite a few cameras every
    year. I can understand why they don't do a ruggedness test. That
    extends the time necessary to complete the review, and it deals with
    issues the normal, careful, camera user won't face. A very obvious
    problem might be noticed, though.

    Most of the warning comments that I have seen deal with inconveniences
    like the flash on a compact being located where a finger might block
    the flash or the location of controls on the back of a DSLR.

    Consumer Reports might pay attention to design defects that lead to
    failure of parts, but they don't do reviews on all the cameras.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    no such thing has been substantiated.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    his claim was it 'cooked the battery.' it doesn't.

    there is certainly a variance in chargers, but every single one of them
    detects the battery level and stops charging when it's full, or things
    can go boom.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    no, it's because you failed to wrap the urls with angle brackets <>
    which properly delimit the url from the rest of the post.

    if you do that, the urls will not get truncated or split. newsreaders
    and other software will automatically detect the url and make it
    clickable. there is no need for tinyurl or any other url shortener.

    for example:

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    ad hominem aside, at least i do research, which is a *lot* more than i
    can say for you.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    this is what happens if you don't detect the charge level of a lithium
    battery:
    <>

    if you want more information than you ever wanted to know about battery
    charging, read this:

    <http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteri
    es/>

    Overcharging Lithium-ion

    Lithium-ion operates safely within the designated operating voltages;
    however, the battery becomes unstable if inadvertently charged to a
    higher than specified voltage. Prolonged charging above 4.30V forms
    plating of metallic lithium on the anode, while the cathode material
    becomes an oxidizing agent, loses stability and produces carbon
    dioxide (CO2). The cell pressure rises, and if charging is allowed to
    continue the current interrupt device (CID) responsible for cell
    safety disconnects the current at 1,380kPa (200psi).

    Should the pressure rise further, a safety membrane bursts open at
    3,450kPa (500psi) and the cell might eventually vent with flame.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    That URL is truncated by Agent on my screen because my line width is
    set to 72.

    Once again an uninformed statement has been made because nospam thinks
    everyone does it the same as he does.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012