    than 31 days. It's PItA, so I no longer set it. It keeps good time,
    but I'm not worried about my watch being off a minute or so. There's
    nothing on my agenda that requires any more exactitude.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012

  2. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Mine gets that muddy, and greasy when I'm working on a transmission of
    the BMW, for example.

    And it gets muddy like that when taking it to the lake.

    So that's finally a realistic test. I wonder why places like DPReview
    never test the cameras in real-world conditions?

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012

  3. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    yes it was.
    nonsense.

    that camera used lithium ion batteries, which means the charger
    definitely stopped charging when the battery was fully charged. if it
    didn't, the battery would have exploded.

    you had a defective battery.
    yes it did. there were accessory lenses available that worked quite
    well.
    dpreview rates the cameras features. they do not do long term testing,
    which would take an insane amount of time.
    they are not.

    amazon owns them, but that does not affect their reviews. this topic
    keeps coming up in their forums.
    their reviews take roughly 4-5 weeks *per* camera, although a low end
    point and shoot is probably less.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  4. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    what does that have to do with what i said? nothing.

    try to stay on topic, for once.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  5. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    why am i not surprised.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  6. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    they definitely test them in real world conditions. they spend a month
    or so with each camera they review, taking photos around london and now
    seattle in a wide variety of conditions.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  7. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I just checked DPReview to see if they even noticed the engineering flaw
    in the charger (that it doesn't turn off when the battery is charged).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpcarino/5316254924/

    Nope, DPReview missed it totally.

    Likewise, I checked DPReview for the Coolpix 3100 battery door latch flaw:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/14

    They missed it again.

    What I see is that they thoroughly test a pristine camera ... but they
    make no attempt to even notice the most obvious engineering flaws which
    impact reliability.

    That's too bad. They should have a 'ruggedness' discussion in my humble
    opinion. Of course, most of you would say that ruggedness isn't a feature
    you care about - and - based on what I've heard - I would agree with you.

    So I accept that I'm in the minority. Which is why it's nice to see the
    video test of the ruggedness of the Canon versus the Nikon (where the
    Canon won but the Nikon did better than mine seem to).

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  8. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    as i said in another post, there is no engineering flaw.

    the charger definitely shuts off charging when it's fully charged. if
    it didn't, the battery would *explode*.
    that's because it's absolute bullshit.

    you really need to stop fabricating crap like this.
    theirs didn't break.
    or more accurately, there aren't any engineering flaws to notice.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  9. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Mine too. I stopped setting the date also. It was a waste of time because
    a month later, it would be wrong again.

    And, mine wouldn't keep time to five minutes in a week!

    I had the back open so much to adjust it that I think that was the real
    reason the fumarole in Greece destroyed the watch. It must have leaked.

    Anyway, the story is actually longer. I paid $800 to have it fixed
    (remember, the original price was thousands) and then my kid dropped it
    on the kitchen floor and it just stopped working (the minutes hand fell
    off and is still inside the crystal).

    I gave up. You'd think a watch as expensive and seemingly rugged as a
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual (this was the gold and stainless one, not the pure
    gold one nor the pure stainless one) would handle a simple drop from a 6
    year old kid to the kitchen tile floor.

    Sigh.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  10. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    That's what I said. :)

    Too bad. They should at least 'look' at the camera to see if it was as
    obviously faulted as the Coolpix 3100 battery door latch was.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  11. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    theirs didn't break so nothing to report. what do you expect them to
    do? bash the camera and see if they can break something?

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  12. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    I appreciate your focus - but you really have to be kidding me.
    Have you 'looked' at the design of the Coolpix 3100 in the pictures I
    provided links to? And in the DIYs?

    The entire latch mechanism is prone to failure because it's a tiny nib of
    plastic that even Nikon had to redesign in a later camera to be at least
    20 times more beefy. I already showed pictures of this.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  13. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    Here is something I just found by googling DPReview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5000/page4.asp

    Notice Phil Askey's comment below (verbatim):
    "One thing to note about Nikon's battery charger is that it's
    not "smart" like Lithium-Ion chargers from other manufacturers."

    Phil goes on to explain:
    "That is it does not sense the charge state of the battery and instead
    runs through the full charge time."

    Then, he makes a conclusion (which appears to be wrong in my humble
    opinion and actual experience):
    "Although I'm sure this does the battery no harm what it does mean is
    that it's difficult to 'top up' a battery which isn't fully flat."

    In my experience, Phil is right on the Nikon battery charger being badly
    designed but wrong on the harm to the batteries.

    Here's someone else who thinks the same thing:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34529-5-nikon-fails-brand-promise-
    trustworthiness

    Here's the owners manual:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/coolpix/P5000_en.pdf

    It says on page 9 that a light tells you when the battery is fully
    charged and you should remove it at that time. Of course, it doesn't say
    what Phil said about the Nikon charger being of a worse design than
    typical lithium ion battery chargers.

    Point is, the charger does not shut off when the battery is fully
    charged.

    The Nikon charger doesn't even SENSE the state of the battery.
    Either that, or DPReview is wrong on this.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  14. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    it's becoming more and more obvious.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  15. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    you snipped the rest of the post where i was specifically referring to
    your bullshit claim of a flawed battery charger. there is no such flaw.

    yours was broken or you had a defective battery, assuming there even
    was a problem in the first place.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  16. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    By now you should realize I don't make unsubstantiated claims. :)

    Read what DPReview themselves say about the flawed battery charger:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5000/page4.asp

    ""One thing to note about Nikon's battery charger is that it's
    not "smart" like Lithium-Ion chargers from other manufacturers. That is
    it does not sense the charge state of the battery ... "

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  17. Arklin K.

    Arklin K. Guest

    If I'm a 'troll', I'm doing an awful amount of work, owning 3 Nikon SLRs
    and just now buying two replacement bayonets following your advice!

    Good news! The two new bayonet mounts were waiting for me when I arrived
    home!

    Here's a picture of them with the broken lens:
    http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8705298/640/8705298.jpg

    I'll see if I can write up a DIY when/if I get the old ones off the old
    AF-S lens without breaking the lens further!

    That way, the next person with this problem can learn from all the work
    we did together.

    Arklin K., Jul 12, 2012
  18. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    phil is absolutely wrong about that.

    lithium ion battery chargers *must* sense the battery charge level.
    otherwise, the battery could be overcharged and potentially explode.

    you had a defective battery and are once again, blaming nikon. nothing
    is perfect, and some batteries prematurely fail. it can happen to any
    product. nikon probably didn't even make the battery.
    that's because leaving a lithium ion battery on trickle charge is not
    good for the battery, long term.
    oh yes it does. it *has* to.
    yes it most certainly does, otherwise there's a risk of an explosion.
    they are without question, wrong.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  19. Arklin K.

    Guest Guest

    you think you're substantiating it, but you're not.

    if the charger was flawed, you would know, because the battery would
    have exploded, or at best, caught fire, due to overcharging.
    as i said in another post, that's flat out wrong.

    lithium battery chargers *must* sense the charge level of the battery
    or risk an explosion.

    Guest, Jul 12, 2012
  20. Arklin K.

    tony cooper Guest

    Just asking. You seem to think that Google can be right or wrong.

    Google does not correct spelling errors. Google leads you to
    instances that resemble the word you typed, but it does not correct
    the spelling.

    It's a bit like reading one of your posts. We can determine what you
    meant even if you did not write what you meant.

    tony cooper, Jul 12, 2012