    greatly appreciated.
    Thank you;
    Charlie

    Guest, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Guest

    Argus Guest

    I would sugest using more then just the MS press books
    e.g. syngress

    Argus, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Guest

    catwalker63 Guest

    or Sybex. You'll need some computers to practice on as well.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "I'm not bossy! I just know what you should be doing!"

    catwalker63, Nov 24, 2004
  4. I am considering starting a computer business,
    Nothing wrong with that, so long as you don't expect to make any money
    out of it and don't expect the banks (or venture capital blood
    suckers) to put up money to back you.

    You only have to look the free ads section to see how many people are
    [trying] doing this already.
    The problem here is the old chicken and egg situation; little chance
    of a job (or establishing a client base) with no real world experience
    , no real world experience without a job (or a client base). In other
    words, an MCSE will not be of great value to you under your current
    circumstances.
    I never found ms press 'training' books to be any good, maybe they've
    changed since the last time I got hold of one. Best to do a search on
    amazon and the other book sites for reviews, but even then take the
    reviews with a pinch of salt.

    Anyway, good luck anyway - btw I liked the C64 & C128.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Guest

    Argus Guest

    true, good thinking Catwalker

    Argus, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Guest

    Consultant Guest

    i hear there is a niche market for senior strippers. just a thought

    Consultant, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Guest

    Consultant Guest

    whats that sonny, whats a computer

    Consultant, Nov 24, 2004
  8. i hear there is a niche market for senior strippers. just a thought

    how much an hour?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 24, 2004
  9. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    In
    They're free. We just gotta get Nerd to abduct them at gunpoint.

    Ken Briscoe, Nov 24, 2004
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I was 52 when I decided on my third and final career....I set up a home
    network with server and 3 workstations. Used the IDG book Windows 2000 MCSE
    study system by Alan R. Carter, as well as on the job experience(happened to
    luck in to working for a reseller that specializes in networking solutions).
    I self studied the entire curriculum and finished NT4.0 MCSE in 1997 and
    upgraded to W2K MCSE in 2001. Am now MIS for a medium sized company with a
    W2K3 domain, 5 servers, 150 clients, three locations. It's NEVER too late!
    And yes, I make a darned decent salary too. If you learn your stuff and can
    demonstrate your proficiency on the firing line, you too can get a GOOD job
    in IT. Too many Lusers get a paper cert and expect the IT world to hand them
    a good paying job on a platter.

    Guest, Nov 24, 2004
  11. Guest

    Consultant Guest

    tell them about the viagara! how it changed your life!

    Consultant, Nov 24, 2004
  12. I was 52 when I decided on my third and final career
    ROTFLMAO!!!

    When I reach 50 (not too long now), I'll be out of here! I wanna still
    be able to play golf, go skiing, do a bit of fishing blah, blah when I
    retire, not sit in a chair dribbling spital all day long!

    Work to live, not live to work, let the indians do that if they wish,
    not me though.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 24, 2004
  13. tell them about the viagara! how it changed your life!

    I'm sure this one remembers spanish fly, don't you think JaR :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Nov 24, 2004
  14. Guest

    Consultant Guest

    good philosophy

    Consultant, Nov 24, 2004
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you for the helpful replies. Just a few points. I have 6 computers
    in my house, so setting aside a couple for this project is no problem. I do
    have first hand experience in so far as I have fixed a lot of computers and
    have a general idea about what I am doing.
    I am planing to retire in a few years. I have some other income so I
    dont need to get rich. All I want to do is cover expenses maybe make a few
    dollars and try to enjoy what is left of my life. Never say never but I
    seriously doubt I will be seeking employment in a company. I am more
    interested in working for myself and staying busy with something I enjoy.
    If anyone has any other suggestions on any other reading materials
    please post what they would be. BTW, I dont really care if I ever get the
    designation, I just want to learn the material. Again any other suggestions
    would be appreciated.

    Charlie

    Guest, Nov 24, 2004
  16. Guest

    Neil Guest

    Sounds like a good start. I would recommend looking into getting a copy
    of vmware or VPC. could be useful (I like vmware myself)
    good, becuase years ago someone told me there was money in computers and
    I am yet to find any. I have opened literally THOUSANDS of computers and
    there are wires and chips and pc boards and all kinds of stuff but no
    money. Seriously, it's a tough market.
    sounds like a hobby. could be ok.
    Well Charlie, since this is a certification NG I will point you towards
    the Certs that I think might best benefit you. If you currently don't
    have any certification, the benefits to gaining it are mostly pride.
    While very few people will care that you have your Certified Vbelfetzer
    2004 Engineer cert or whatever, they do make nice wall hangings and
    impress those who are easily impressed. You may want to start out with
    base OS/hardware certifications (A+, MSDST) and progress from there. As
    for books, there is far more on the internet than you can believe. why
    buy a book when you can likely find it on the net? Good luck...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams

    Neil, Nov 24, 2004
  17. Guest

    nerd32768 Guest

    he already has A+

    nerd32768, Nov 24, 2004
  18. Guest

    Neil Guest

    whoops, righto. well then on to the MCDST...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams

    Neil, Nov 25, 2004
  19. Guest

    Kurt Guest

    I agree. I started when I got laid off my 25 year job. I took a couple of
    college classes (courtesy of all you taxpayers) and got my MCSE, CCNA, Net+,
    A+, yada yada. I immediately went to work for a small company where I am now
    (2 years later) the Senior Network Engineer, also making a good salary. I
    was a hobbyist back to the Commodore 64 days (Atari 800 anyone?), so I had a
    good grasp on binary and hex, programming in a few languages, and basic
    hardware design and interfacing. Although I'd never done ANY networking, my
    hobby experience put me leaps and bounds ahead of the average contestant.
    One of the first things my MCSE instructor said was, "How well you do with
    this will depend on how deeply you can immerse yourself in it". And I
    believe this to be true. If you can live and breathe Windows and Active
    Directory for a couple of months, you'll do just fine.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Nov 25, 2004
  20. Guest

    Neil Guest

    *standing and staring at shoes*
    me: "Hi, my name is Neil and I owned an Apple ][."
    them: "hi Neil"
    me: "It all started innocently enough, a bit of fun with an electronics
    kit in high school. a bit of Trashy-80 and some Vic20 on the side. Not
    the hard stuff just some tape loaded basic programs. Then I got introduce
    to floppies."
    them: "ooooo, it's ok Neil, you're going to be ok"

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30

    Doug Adams

    Neil, Nov 25, 2004