    advantage is very small, hardly noticeable. My advice to you is: save your
    money for something else. Dual-cores, quad-cores in my opinion are not what
    they meant to be, really, other than noisy heat generators

    Chris Campbell, Dec 30, 2007

  2. Joe Pasternak

    John Barnes Guest

    XP64 is an excellent multi-tasking OS, Vista64 not so IMO. Since virtually
    all programs will only run on one core at a time, the benefit of multi-core
    is that system tasks can be run on the other core instead of multi-plexing
    on the single core or a second program can run on a second core etc. with
    system task multiplexing. Many make the mistake of buying a multi core
    processor with a slower speed on each core than they had on a previous
    single core processor and will experience little improvement or slower
    execution.

    John Barnes, Dec 30, 2007

  3. Joe Pasternak

    John Barnes Guest

    Ad hominem comment says it all.

    John Barnes, Dec 30, 2007
  4. Sorry, dude, if you think Windoze is an "excellent multi-tasker," your
    either not old enough to know what REAL TIME multi-tasking is or, you never
    used anything else other than Windoze :(

    Chris Campbell, Dec 31, 2007
  5. XP64 is an excellent multi-tasking OS, Vista64 not so IMO.
    Sure, Windows might not be a realtime multitasking OS, but by any other
    measure, it's certainly "good enough" for us mere schmucks.

    Wow, some people really take offense to these type of things, don't they.

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 31, 2007
  6. Joe Pasternak

    Zootal Guest

    Windows is a preemptive multi-tasking operating system, period. I would
    consider it to be real-time by definition, but I certainly would not give it
    a rating of "excellent". And I would *never* use it for critical tasks, such
    as landing aircraft, life support equipment operation, etc. I can see it
    now - grandpa laying dead in his hospital bed because the heart monitor
    decided to BSOD instead of alerting the nurses of a problem. Or 500 people
    dead because a 747 splatted on a mountain side because explorer.exe was
    consuming 99.9%cpu and the auto-nav program wasn't getting enough cpu cycles
    (so much for pre-emptive....).

    I would also call it good enough for schmucks like me. I run 3 Half-Life
    servers on a single core box, and they perform very well. Good enough for
    anything that isn't critical or very important.

    Here is a bit of perspective: When I was working with Infohub schemas for
    vsam files on an IBM mainframe, I found it was very easy to shut out all of
    the other users by simply running a poorly optimized query. Our wonderful,
    very expensive, real-time multi-tasking operating system fell over and
    barfed on the floor. Going back several years - my first OS was Vortex II on
    Varian V76 micros. Another preemptive multi-tasking OS that worked good when
    it worked, and was miserable otherwise. Even "excellent" operating systems
    have their quirks, and can be crashed. Windows just happens to be close to
    the bottom of the food chain when it comes to reliability.

    Zootal, Dec 31, 2007
  7. Joe Pasternak

    John Barnes Guest

    Personally I have found that XP64 splits the tasks pretty well, not
    overloading one core and leaving the other practically idle. Vista64 on the
    other hand I have tasks hang because one core is topped out while the other
    sits at <10%. Setting the affinity and/or priority of the tasks does solve
    most of these problems manually, and should help save your 747. :)

    John Barnes, Dec 31, 2007
  8. -------------snip-----------

    Booooring................... :(

    Chris Campbell, Jan 2, 2008
  9. Are you saying Vista is shit? Hey, Microsoft, are you reading this?

    Chris Campbell, Jan 2, 2008
  10. Joe Pasternak

    Zootal Guest

    Not to those of us that were there :)