    or not.

    I searched, but could not find the host file.

    Rich

    richmac, Oct 26, 2003

  2. richmac

    Ralph Mann Guest

    richmac said:

    > Recently I've a problem with some of the websites.
    > When I click on a link inside the site, instead of a new page, my (server)
    > homepage attempts to load, and Zone Alarm asks to allow connection via host
    > address. Then I get error bad gateway, no matter if I allow the host address
    > or not.
    >
    > I searched, but could not find the host file.
    >
    > Rich

    Try here C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003

  3. richmac

    °Mike° Guest

    Install and use:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:03:52 GMT, in
    <IKOmb.186067$9l5.111025@pd7tw2no>
    richmac scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  4. richmac

    richmac Guest

    Actually, got them, been there.
    Spybot reports clean system.
    Adaware no new objects.
    Spyware Blaster can't update last 2 days. Don't know if it's related to
    current problem. All other sites update fine. Donate button works, though.
    Haven't thought of hijack this yet, will try.
    Then there's also The Cleaner...could I have allowed something during
    windows critical updates couple of days ago?
    Rich

    "°Mike°" <> ???
    news: ???...

    richmac, Oct 26, 2003
  5. richmac

    °Mike° Guest

    Run HijackThis. Fix anything you can recognise as unwanted.
    If you continue to have problems, post the *complete* contents
    of the HJT log file here.

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:22:55 GMT, in
    <z0Pmb.187118$pl3.115406@pd7tw3no>
    richmac scrawled:

    >Actually, got them, been there.
    >Spybot reports clean system.
    >Adaware no new objects.
    >Spyware Blaster can't update last 2 days. Don't know if it's related to
    >current problem. All other sites update fine. Donate button works, though.
    >Haven't thought of hijack this yet, will try.
    >Then there's also The Cleaner...could I have allowed something during
    >windows critical updates couple of days ago?
    >Rich

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  6. richmac

    richmac Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> ¦b¶l¥ó
    news:qOOmb.1637$ ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > richmac said:
    >
    > > Recently I've a problem with some of the websites.
    > > When I click on a link inside the site, instead of a new page, my

    (server)
    > > homepage attempts to load, and Zone Alarm asks to allow connection via

    host
    > > address. Then I get error bad gateway, no matter if I allow the host

    address
    > > or not.
    > >
    > > I searched, but could not find the host file.
    > >
    > > Rich

    > Try here C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc

    I wonder why repeated attempts in "search" only gave me lmhost and not host
    file?
    Anyway I took a look and there's only one entry, local host.

    Rich

    richmac, Oct 26, 2003
  7. richmac

    Harrison Guest

    Maek sure you're viewing hidden and system files.
    Tools>Folder Options>View

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  8. richmac

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:03:52 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "richmac"
    <> wrote :

    >Recently I've a problem with some of the websites.
    >When I click on a link inside the site, instead of a new page, my (server)
    >homepage attempts to load, and Zone Alarm asks to allow connection via host
    >address. Then I get error bad gateway, no matter if I allow the host address
    >or not.
    >
    >I searched, but could not find the host file.
    >
    >Rich

    Remove ZA fully and see if that cures it?
    If it does try,"Outpost",
    Free and better IMHO.

    Shep©, Oct 26, 2003
  9. richmac

    ComputerFixer

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't know why Google lists links like this at the top of their list that never answers the question that you searched.

    Actually XP doesn't have a folder called winnt .

    You will find the file hosts at the following location in XP:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

    It does NOT have a file extension.

    ComputerFixer, Dec 3, 2013