    prefer an internal PCI, but I will take a external serial port one for
    $40 ( Auckland pickup).

    David Mohring - swearing from repairing elderly couple's old favored PC

    David Mohring, Feb 26, 2007

  2. I wouldn't use an internal modem - if the modem locks up for any reason
    you need to reboot the computer. With an external one all you need to do
    is to power-cycle the modem. :eek:)

    Dianthus Mimulus, Feb 26, 2007

  3. David Mohring

    Earl Grey Guest

    There are plenty of external ones around but the internal hardware
    modems seem to have been dumped with the 486s that hosted them

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Modems/auction-88926300.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Modems/auction-89003179.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Modems/auction-89176210.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/Modems/auction-89698637.htm

    Earl Grey, Feb 26, 2007
  4. Thanks. Just won the above one this afternoon. It looks as if the client
    will have to put up with finding an extra free power socket.

    I still wish I had a source for real full-hardware PCI modems. I've pulled
    enough of the little beggars out of pre-2003 computers and recycled them.
    There must be some still floating around out there.

    David Mohring-When you go broadband please put your real modems on trademe!

    David Mohring, Feb 27, 2007
  5. http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php?q=+hardware++internal+++modem

    Check them: the first one claims to be a hardware modem using the HCF chipset.

    Mark Robinson, Feb 27, 2007
  6. HCF Chipset is a Conexant softmodem with DSP, not a full hardware modem.

    AFAIK the remaining Dynalink DFM-562I are also soft modems.

    David Mohring-Started on 2k4baud,now on broadband that just feels like it

    David Mohring, Feb 28, 2007
  7. David Mohring

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Just go with that, it will be hardware based. The PC needs to have a
    serial port and some laptops don't have com1 anymore...

    Dave Taylor, Feb 28, 2007