    Where does it store the email you receive using Windows XP? Anyone
    know of any tools to convert TB mail into Unix mailbox format?

    TNX

    Keith, Dec 19, 2004

  2. Keith

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    Mail is stored in your profile.

    Using "Default" profile as an example:
    %appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\Mail\_SERVERNAME_\Inbox

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 19, 2004

  3. Keith

    Big Craigie Guest

    Can these profiles be changed to point to a different drive (partition) e.g
    the D drive. This is how I have my Outlook Express mail kept so that in the
    event of having to "rebuild" the C drive and teh applications I still have
    the e-mails.
    As a very happy Firefox user I would love to change to Thunderbird but I am
    still undecided especially since the spam rules I have in place has
    virtually eradicated soam from my inbox,
    BC

    Big Craigie, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Keith

    john Guest

    I use IMAP with Thunderbird, so my mail is stored on the IMAP server. :)
    I suspect with POP3 they're probably in your profile directory.

    Thunderbird mailboxes are already in Unix mbox format, so there's no need
    to convert anything.

    john, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Keith

    Reg Mouatt Guest

    Hi Keith,
    I use Windows 98 - so if you are able to find the equivalent of
    this pathway in XP - there you will find your pot of gold :)

    C:\WINDOWS\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\scg5krc0.default\Mail\Local Folders

    You can also try searching for any *.sbd or *.msf files which will
    give away their location. I very recently had the task of restoring
    into a new setup of TB, messages and address book copied onto a CD
    from another PC and found, should it be of interest to you, that for
    each *,msf file there is also a corresponding one without an extension
    shown and all of them had become 'Read' only and I am sure there is a
    simpler way but I went through each of them removing the tick before
    TB would treat them as normal.

    Reg

    Reg Mouatt, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Keith

    Z Guest

    Wherever you tell it to.

    Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings (under the Mail account)

    See Local Directory (lower right hand side)

    By default, it's under C:\Windows\Application Data\...

    If you're smart, and you have multiple partitions or drives, you'll move
    that off C: so that the next time Windows crashes or you get a nasty
    virus or worm or fall victim to yet another gaping Windows security hole
    that leaves you with a hosed system disk and you have to rebuild the OS
    from scratch, you won't lose your e-mail when you reformat.

    Z, Dec 22, 2004
  7. Keith

    Jim Guest

    With Windows, when you copy a file off a CD (which is "read-only"),
    the "read-only" attribute remains with the file even though the file
    is now on your "read-write" hard drive.

    Jim

    Jim, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Keith

    Ed Mullen Guest

    I believe that Windows XP does not carry over the r/o bit when copying
    from a CD.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net