    after reading from the MS site. I am not sure of what the requirements
    are or what will benefit me the most and would appreciate any insight
    anyone would have for me. Thanks.

    ridergroov, Oct 16, 2006

  2. ridergroov

    BD [MCNGP] Guest

    Well, first off, most of the exams you pass will get you the MCP
    status...for the first one you take. You won't have 7 MCPs if you take 7
    exams, it's just that the first exam you take will get you the MCP status.

    Now, from what you've described below, you'd probably want to the MCSA/MCSE
    route.

    I won't do your homework for you, but I will give you a few places where you
    can start looking.

    First, bookmark this website, I suggest having it as your homepage for a
    while until you're used to it. There is alot of great information that comes
    up here and M$ is always making changes to it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/

    Next, check out the certifications that you're interested in. In this case,
    MCSA and MCSE would be where you would want to start.

    Since MCSA is not a pre-requisite to MCSE, but can be obtained on the way to
    getting your MCSE, I would suggest looking into the similarities between the
    two exams. You will find that many exams that are listed in the MCSA are
    also listed in the MCSE (no, you won't have to take them twice) that's what
    you need to look at though.

    So, from the link above, look at the gray menu on the lefthand side of the
    screen. In the 'Certification' section, highlight 'Microsoft Certifications'
    then click on the link for either MCSE or MCSA.

    As for the requirements, they're simple...knowledge of the discipline and
    the cost of the exam fees (which vary depending on your region)...but since
    you're here in the US, $125.....BUT, you can get vouchers that will reduce
    the cost of the exam.

    BD [MCNGP], Oct 16, 2006

  3. ridergroov

    ridergroov Guest

    First off, thank you for taking the time to post that message. I did a
    little fishing on that link and I did indeed find many answers to my
    questons. I think I would probably start working on my MCSA on Server
    2003 since that seems like a good direction for me to go in. One thing
    I didn't really see without signing up for it was the price of the
    classes that they speak of. I'm sure I could do it on my own but if
    they have classes that I can take, that woudl be good too. Do you know
    if there is a price associated with those? We (work) do have software
    assurance on all of our software and I thougth I might have read
    somewhere that that can give you access to classes for free but I'm not
    finding where I saw that currently. That would be another question for
    you. Again, thank you very much for any info that you can provide, I
    really appreciate it.

    ridergroov, Oct 16, 2006
  4. ridergroov

    BD [MCNGP] Guest

    No problem. Yeah, MCSA 2003 would be a good intermediary goal to work
    toward. There are only 4 exams that are required for the MCSA 2003. 3 Core
    (70-290, 70-291, and either 70-270[XP] or 70-210[2K]) and 1 elective. BUT,
    since you already have your A+ and Network+, that elective is already taken
    care of. See, so you're already 25% done with your MCSA.

    Now, once you've earned your MCSA, I believe you'll only need 3 more exams
    before you're an MCSE. It's been a while since I researched it and you've
    got a ways to go anyways, so when you're at that point, you can inquire
    more.

    As for the training classes, there are free courses and I believe there are
    courses that can be paid for. I haven't taken the paid courses, but I have
    gone through some of the free courses and they helped a little, but most of
    your experience should come from OJT anyways. If all your experience comes
    from a book, then you're going to be missing out on alot of good
    information.

    I'm sure there is someone else around here that is "ALL knowledgeable" and
    would be able to point you in the right direction.....hey....GetSerious
    knows EVERYTHING there is to know about EVERYTHING. He's proven it already
    (71).

    Seriously though, I'm just being an @$$ about GetSerious because I know he
    hates it. There is someone in one of these newsgroups that would be able to
    help you out with the Software Assurance thing, I have no idea.

    Good Luck to you.

    BD [MCNGP], Oct 16, 2006