Where do I put *.xpi extensions / spiderzilla extension not found

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Kurt, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    I planned to install the spiderzilla Firefox extension. I already got the spiderzilla.xpi extension file.
    Where should I put this file? I expected that if I copy this file into the "extension" folder
    Firefox should recognize this extension automaticaly during the next start but it didn't.

    Is there an automatic recognition at all?

    Furthermore if I click on the menu

    Tools->Extension

    an empyt extension list is displayed.
    When I click the the link "Get more extensions" I am directed to the Mozilla web page.
    But I didn't found spiderzilla on this web page (I searched on the sub menu
    "Download tools". Where is a "Search" function for the web page ?

    Hmm, Firefox has a long way to go to be as userfriendly as Internet Explorer :-(

    Kurt

    Kurt, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Kurt

    mike555 Guest

    === just drag it into an open window of Firefox ========

    mike555, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Kurt

    Hawkeye Guest

    === just drag it into an open window of Firefox ========

    I've made a point to keep a copy of the .xpi file of every extension I
    use. Then, as in the previous post, all you need do is to drag and
    drop to load it. Sure makes multiple installations simple.

    Hawkeye, Nov 1, 2004
  4. The only problem with that is that extensions are updated as are
    browser versions. Your old extensions versions are unlikely to work
    with FF 1.0.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 1, 2004
  5. Kurt

    Hawkeye Guest

    The only problem with that is that extensions are updated as are
    No problem there, I just stay up to date on the xpi files. I'll click
    on the "check now" key in software updates, and see what it finds. If
    a major version change comes around, hopefully it will update
    everything seamlessly load new extensions properly. Otherwise, I use
    this method after some difficulties were encountered in moving from .9
    to .10. Subsequently, I found that uninstalling extensions from .9
    prior to installing .10 eliminated any problems.

    Also, as previously stated, when installing to multiple machines, it
    makes for a ready supply of the desired extensions without having to
    go online to download them. So far so good, and it will be
    interesting to see what happens when 1.0 is released.

    Hawkeye, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Kurt

    Ed Mullen Guest

    As Mike said. Or CTRL+O in FF, navigate to the file and open it, it
    will then ask if you want to install it.

    XPIs are /extensions/ NOT plugins. Two different animals.

    Ed Mullen, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Kurt

    David Ross Guest

    Note that you will not see the XPI file where the extension is
    installed. The XPI file is an installer that executes when openned
    by the application to which it applies (e.g., by Mozilla as if the
    XPI file were a Web page). When properly executed, the XPI file
    installs other files (embedded within it) of various types into
    various locations, the types and locations varying according to the
    specific extension.

    --

    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>