    Gallery: http://www.crrobs.org/gallery/

    Thanks,
    Tim

    media, Aug 16, 2006

  2. media

    gypsy3001 Guest

    My name is Tim, and I'm a webmaster at www.crrobs.org. We have a high
    hmmm . . . I can't seem to recall any digital cameras with 8x optical
    zoom between the price range you are asking for. The most I've seen are
    4x. It's quite possible to find a camcorder with 10x or 20x optical
    zoom. What's your image resolution requirement?

    Chieh

    gypsy3001, Aug 17, 2006

  3. media

    Lee K Guest

    Canon Powershot S3 boasts 12X optical zoom, 6 megapixels, 2in articulated
    LCD, Optical Image Stabilizer, Widescreen (16:9) capability, and 30fps VGA
    movies with stereo sound and Photo in Movie feature for $500 list, but
    available in the low $300s. Here's a site with various vendors/prices:
    http://tinyurl.com/oul4k

    Here are a couple of reviews:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

    Lee K, Aug 17, 2006
  4. There are a few cameras in your price range. Off the top of my head:
    Panasonic TZ1
    Panasonic ZD7
    Panasonic ZD50
    Canon S3 IS
    Olympus SP500
    Sony H2
    Sony H5

    As to places to buy cameras from, consider:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    http://www.adorama.com
    http://www.amazon.com
    http://www.newegg.com
    http://www.buydig.com

    I've bought camera gear from the first three sites, computer gear and flash
    memory cards from newegg, and I've seen people talk about buydig.com having
    fairly low prices.

    Michael Meissner, Aug 17, 2006
  5. media

    no_name Guest

    B&H or Adorama.

    no_name, Aug 17, 2006
  6. media

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Tim:

    Please, try this search engine:

    Price Watch
    http://www.pricewatch.com

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 19, 2006
  7. media

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Chieh:

    Are you kidding? <g> There's no shortage of "super zoom" digicams, in
    the $200-$800 range.

    For example, just last May, I made an online purchase of a brand-new
    Kodak P850 (12x optical zoom, 5.1MP). It was only $239USD (free shipping
    included), and came with a camera dock and bag.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 19, 2006
  8. media

    perry lee Guest

    When we bought our Fuji S9000, we got the best deal at the Dell Online
    store:

    MSRP $699.00
    Dell 20% Discount -$140.00
    Fuji Rebate -$100.00
    For a Total of $459.00

    Plus Dell gave free shipping.

    But that just happened to be the best deal out there on that particular
    weekend. This weekend, the best deal might be at H $ R, next week it
    could be QVC. You never know.

    perry lee, Aug 19, 2006
  9. media

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Perry:

    $459 is a bargain? If so, the S9000 must be one hell of a point & shoot
    camera!

    After all, I could've bought (from Costco.com) >two< P850's and their
    bundled accessories, for that price...as I actually paid $229.99 (not
    $239, as I'd mistakenly written, before). :p

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 20, 2006
  10. media

    Ray Fischer Guest

    No!

    NO!

    They will send you to scammers who advertise for an absurdly low price
    and then charge extra for everything that's supposed to come with the
    camera. Stick with the reputable sellers.

    Check this:
    www.resellerratings.com

    Ray Fischer, Aug 20, 2006
  11. media

    perry lee Guest

    John,

    The original poster askd for a camera between 200 and 800 dollars with
    at least an 8x zoom. He did not specify point and shoot. I told him
    about a $700 dollar camera with a 10.2 zoom. So yes: $459 is a hell of a
    bargain. And it's a hell of a camera also.

    perry lee, Aug 20, 2006
  12. media

    jtur Guest

    Hello, Ray:

    Hey, I was only trying to help. Please don't shoot the messenger,
    man! ;-)

    Yet, I must concur that Price Watch has grossly deteriorated,
    these past few years. It was formerly so much faster and far less
    cluttered with ads, and I enjoyed using it to find good deals on
    computer hardware.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    jtur, Aug 25, 2006
  13. media

    jtur Guest

    Hello, Perry:

    You're quite right, and I saw what the Fuji S9000 is presently selling
    for, at various online merchants. It's a handsome digicam, and even
    more DSLR-looking than my Kodak P850 -- if somewhat heftier, with a
    much longer lens barrel.

    So, let's compare lenses, shall we?

    Fuji S9000 -

    Fujinon (13 elements in 10 groups)
    6.2mm/66.7mm / 28mm (300 mm on 35mm equivalent)
    10.7X Wide (28- 300mm) optical zoom

    Kodak P850 -

    Schneider-KREUZNACH VARIOGON 12X optical zoom
    f/2.8-3.7, 6.0-72.0mm (36-432mm, 35mm equivalent)
    IS (image stabilization) - single or continuous

    Schneider, 12x, IS...gotcha there, although your wide angle is better
    than mine! <g>

    All kidding aside, I studied a few of the S9000's sample pictures, at
    Steve's Digicams <http://www.steves-digicams.com>. They struck me as
    a bit "soft," just as the P850's do.

    Is this an inherent limitation of "small sensor" cameras, perhaps?
    Regardless, I think my DX6490 (10x zoom, 4MP) produces bolder images,
    with richer colors, than the P850 does; my lowly DX3900 (2x, 3.1MP)
    is hardly outclassed by either of those "ultra zoom" models, for that
    matter.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    jtur, Aug 25, 2006