! Where are the controls in "Agent" that allow one to regulate how long posts are available to read

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. I had over 30,000 posts on this forum dating back to last December.
    However when I tried to read them by subject it kept saying "Message
    not available"

    So I switched Agent over to date sort and found that all messages
    before August of this year were expired?

    How can I change "agent 3.2" to hold the bodies longer so I can go
    back more than 60 days in the archives?

    Thankee

    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=3E19B468C9B54529

    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=560D293D2AC469FD

    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/103519011

    My Blog URL
    http://blog.myspace.com/103519011

    Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Gabriel Rapture

    Pennywise Guest

    Disable purge or what is purged.

    Pennywise, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Gabriel Rapture

    steve Guest

    Ask in the Agent newsgroup alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

    steve, Sep 12, 2006
  4. Gabriel Rapture

    Evan Platt Guest

    You.. don't. That's a function of your NSP (News Service Provider).

    You can tell Agent to not go as FAR back (ie if you only want to see
    the past 3 days even though the server may have 30 days), but if your
    server only stores <X> messages or <Y> days, you're SOL.

    Often, unfortunately, they may still have the header, or your hard
    drive may have the header, but the actual server no longer has the
    message.
    <SNIP Sig>

    Please try and keep your sig to 3-4 lines.

    Thanks.

    Evan Platt, Sep 12, 2006
  5. Thanks everyone, I suspect my ISP has probably shortened how long they
    will keep messages on their servers. They offer the newserver free. It
    isn't something they advertise when you buy broadband from them. So
    they probably aren't interested in making the server a top shelf one.

    Are you really the governor of Derry Penny?

    I've never talked to a celebrity before. I have been all over Eastern
    Maine, but I didn't see you when I was feasting at those great lobster
    and Shrimp places on the seashore back in June.

    Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006
  6. I just subscribed to the Agent forum just now. There were 19,401 posts
    to be downloaded. It took less than a minute to download them all .

    I clicked on one from January 6th 2006 and it is readable as are all
    the other several old ones I tried.

    Yet the "alt.24hourhelp" group folder only lets me read back a couple
    of months?

    I must have messed up a setting someplace.

    I'll take a look at that "purge" setting that the governor suggested.

    Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006
  7. Gabriel Rapture

    Evan Platt Guest

    Not likely. If the 'subject' shows, but you cannot read the message,
    the message is no longer on the server.

    NSP's, as I mentioned, can have a time setting, or a number of
    messages setting, per group. They could have the retention for say
    alt.cat.discussion be 30 days, or 500 messages, but alt.dog.discussion
    be 60 days, or even 10000 messages. I'm not sure technically if they
    can have it set for OR, ie "40 days or 1000 messages", but I'm pretty
    confident they can set it for one way or another. I know for my
    server, some of the text groups go back a year, but some binary groups
    go only 10 days or less. And sometime when a spammer hammers a group,
    you may only get 3 days.

    Evan Platt, Sep 12, 2006
  8. Ok I stink shit is fixed now.
    It was set to purge "unread messages with bodies" after 30 days. I
    changed it to never. Now if I can just get to the default setting and
    change everything that way it would be nice. I belong to over 60
    forums so I don't want to do them one at a time. I would be making
    changes way into the next millennium if that be the caso.

    Merci beaucoup

    Well,

    Whichever way you go, don't sign up with www.packet8.net/7777

    They have an excellent service at a cheaper price than the other companies, but they are the most cold-blooded business I have ever seen.

    They are turning off the phones of senior citizens, and others who live on pensions. these people get their little money on the first of the month, and are ready to pay at that time. However, packet eight has gone over to what they call all computer billing.

    So the computer is hitting these handicapped peoples accounts during themiddle of the month instead of the first. Well, most of these poor folks have exhausted their funds by then. So then Packet 8 turns off their telephones and leaves them with no way to call their doctors, family, or others until they pay the little $25.00 a month.

    From what I have read online, they simply refuse to compromise. They blame everything on the automatic billing, and refuse to step in and manually work something out with these people. People are being harmed each month because of these devilish practices. I suspect it will be just a matter of time before someone files a "class action suit" against them to stop their cruelty.

    In the meantime, go with Vonage, or Charter.net. they are far more compassionate with their customers, and thus deserve to make more money.

    Just a word to the wise.

    Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006
  9. Ok,

    I found the "default properties for -folders-" setting and changed it
    to never delete either read, or unread messages until I tell it to.

    Now I'm cooking with gas again. :)

    USENET ROCKS!!!

    Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006
  10. Ok, I just deleted my "rec.radio.shortwave folder"
    Then I immediately subscribed back to it.

    Agent downloaded over 37,000 posts in slightly less than two minutes.

    I was also able to read the old one from December, 2005.

    So caso chiuso!

    Mille grazie amigi

    Gabriel Rapture, Sep 12, 2006
  11. Gabriel Rapture

    Pennywise Guest

    Just stay out of the sewers...

    Pennywise, Sep 12, 2006
  12. Gabriel Rapture

    Barry OGrady Guest

    That is a not a function of Agent. You need to download the bodies before the
    expire from the news server.
    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Sep 17, 2006
  13. Gabriel Rapture

    Barry OGrady Guest

    is there some way you can stop top posting?
    Barry
    =====

    Barry OGrady, Sep 20, 2006