    But if i wake up tomorrow, and find something incredible that
    was done with a P&S, you can bet that i will re-consider.....

    DT

    dumbtroll, Nov 17, 2007

  2. dumbtroll

    JerryGrims Guest

    But it's much more fun to watch you throw away your money and then prove to you
    why you did indeed just waste it. We have to make your money count for something
    no? There's entertainment value in it for the rest of us.

    Let me know when you get your D-SLR, I might post one photo to prove it to you.

    JerryGrims, Nov 17, 2007

  3. dumbtroll

    Scott W Guest

    A good reality check to to look at something like whale photos in PBase,
    look at the ones that you like and check out what kind of camera was
    used. I believe you will find that almost all are from DSLRs, odd when
    you remember that most people are using p&s cameras.
    http://search.pbase.com/search?q=whale&b=Search+Photos&c=sp

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 17, 2007
  4. dumbtroll

    aniramca Guest

    What kind of photos that you want to take? There are some decent
    galleries which utilized Sony DSC R1 Point and shoot cameras. Try this
    one.
    http://www.pbase.com/tylim/root
    Hope that this helps you.

    aniramca, Nov 17, 2007
  5. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Some nice photos for sure. But the DSCR1 goes
    for about $1300. I ain't going to be saving much money
    there, and i wouldn't really call this DSCR1 a simple
    "point and shot" either. Seems to be a nice lens there.

    dumbtroll, Nov 17, 2007
  6. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Most likely, you don't even have ONE
    good photo from a point a shoot!

    HA!

    dumbtroll, Nov 17, 2007
  7. dumbtroll

    Douglas Guest

    What about this one then?
    http://www.weddingsnportraits.com.au/previews/scott-katrina/

    Shot entirely with a Panasonic FZ50 (after my shooter dropped the s5) ;)

    Douglas

    Douglas, Nov 17, 2007
  8. dumbtroll

    John Navas Guest

    I'll pass -- no offense intended, but this looks too much like a
    waste-of-time troll to me. I'm sure you can find great compact photos
    on your own if you really want to -- there are lots of them out there.

    John Navas, Nov 17, 2007
  9. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Not bad. But not mind-blowing.

    Here's my theory:

    The reason there are a greater number
    of high quality pics taken with dSLR, is because
    the better, more professional (or completely pro)photographers end up
    getting the highest quality
    cameras they can. And so perhaps even more than
    the technical quality of the equipment, then simple
    have better eyes and instincts for good composition,
    lighting, and DOF, etc.

    dumbtroll, Nov 17, 2007
  10. Buy your Canon. It looks much more impressive when walking thru the park,
    particularly if you step out of a Porsche or a Bentley.

    You may even get some mind-blowing photos using the Canon, if you know where
    to look for them!

    Some poster referred to the Panasonic FZ50, not exactly what I would call a
    point-and-shoot, it's Leica zoom lens will beat the Canon hands down, but
    don't be influenced by such statements, order your Canon, then wait a few
    months before looking for something better.

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 17, 2007
  11. dumbtroll

    aniramca Guest

    One of my favourite site is a website by Marisa at pbase
    http://www.pbase.com/mardoli/all_my_galleries
    I think some of the photos were taken with a Canon Powershot S60 (plus
    Canon DSLR 350D, and maybe others?)
    Beautifully and artistically done website!

    aniramca, Nov 17, 2007
  12. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    ????? What gave you the idea that i care
    about the looks of the camera itself? My
    powershot G3 isn't exactly a looker! But for
    pics smaller than 8.5x11, it takes great photos.

    I used to get the cheapest deal out there
    for anything. But now I'm getting tired of
    upgrading all the time.....time to get the
    pretty good stuff to last a while.

    dumbtroll, Nov 17, 2007
  13. dumbtroll

    dumbtroll Guest

    Yeah, too bad you wasted time typing this...

    dumbtroll, Nov 17, 2007
  14. It's not ... I'd also like to see such a thing. That is,
    a whole gallery of great P&S photos. Note: these must be full
    camera resolution, not just 768x1024 for computer screen.

    I've posted one of my photos, why don't you post a link
    to a P&S gallery of great shots. It should not be difficult
    (that's not a joke ... as all the P&S people say, what matters
    is teh image, and that's true.)

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 17, 2007
  15. Well, yes, at those sizes you can tell is that the photographer
    was first rate, and the camera up to the task. Note that whoever
    it was was not content to let her (presumably) P&S do the exposure
    alone: one sees "Exposure bias" normally at -1/3.

    The caveat is that at those sizes, one can't tell whether the focus is
    perfect, nor the lens quality. Still, at least somebody had the decency to
    actually post a link to a gallery of photos of quality made with
    a P&S.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 17, 2007
  16. Alas a posted image is very different than a printed image.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 17, 2007
  17. dumbtroll

    Douglas Guest

    10 Points for that statement.

    Douglas

    Douglas, Nov 17, 2007
  18. If the posted image is full resolution, I can just print it. Sure,
    I might have to massage it a bit, but if it eventually prints
    beautifully, so be it in terms of proving the camera
    was up to the task.

    Unfortunately those lovely photos of Italy were not full resolution.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 17, 2007
  19. dumbtroll

    RBrickston Guest

    Don't give up your day job.

    RBrickston, Nov 18, 2007
  20. dumbtroll

    John Navas Guest

    Properly printed, a G3 should be able to do excellent 8x10, and pretty
    good 11x14. In the latter case, you might want to try resizing first to
    300 DPI (or even 600 DPI, depending on the printer) with Lanczos
    resampling.
    My own personal practice is usually to buy one generation back. That
    avoids the bleeding edge premium while still giving me long useful life.

    John Navas, Nov 19, 2007