    With my old Epson Stylus Color 900, this meant ignoring the blinking ink
    lights, and wait for them to go solidly on.

    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=465>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Get some refillables off trademe with the autoreset chips - the new ones
    never reset to full so it will never prime the ink wasting it all, and
    you just top up in the printer when they look low.

    Richard, Nov 4, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    For both inkjet and laser printers, I always wait until the printer simply
    refuses to print any more, which is usually when the light goes solid. Even
    when the light is blinking on my Epson Stylus Photo 700, I can get many
    pages printed before it goes solid.

    Your Name, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Do you really need prints to last? You've still got the computer files,
    which are the most important thing, right? So why not just print them
    again?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2008
  5. The only hassle I found, is that if I needed to clean the print heads, it
    would complain there wasn't enough ink to do that once a low-level light
    started flashing. So I would have to put up with poorer-quality colour
    prints until the ink actually ran out. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 4, 2008
  6. One of the minor drawbacks of being anally retentive.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 4, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    Hard disks, flash drives, CDs and DVDs can all fail with no warning.
    Printouts and professional photos can fade, as can paintings. Nothing is
    permanent ... even the Pyramids are slowly eroding away. :)

    Your Name, Nov 5, 2008
  8. That's why I keep multiple copies.
    With sufficient care, digital data could well outlive the pyramids.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Your Name Guest

    On some printers it may not be a good idea to COMPLETELY drain the
    cartridges. Leaving some ink in the heads will prevent air bubbles, etc.,
    but it depends on the various designs of printers.

    Your Name, Nov 5, 2008
  10. But ... but what about all my Microsoft-compatible ink?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008