when the moon is a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Colin, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Colin, Mar 25, 2005

  2. Colin

    Bill Turlock Guest

    No you don't!

    Very nice photos!

    I've shot over 15,000 frames of film, most with a 35-105, for portrait
    kinda' stuff, and have had a few killer zooms for outdoor stuff. But
    when I got my N990 with the measly 3x zoom, I initially felt constrained
    by the lack of a long zoom range.

    It caused me to look at my technique in a different light, (so to
    speak), and I started thinking more about the 'big picture' rather that
    zooming in on some particular piece of interest. I think it has made me
    a better photographer.

    Bill

    Bill Turlock, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Colin

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Limitations do give rise to changes in procedures. Having never owned a
    'long zoom' camera, I use zoom as a way to frame shots, rather than a
    way to get 'closer'. Most of my pictures are shot in situations where
    it is possible to move closer to the subject, but in those cases where
    this isn't possible, a good zoom can sure help make the shot.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Colin

    M-M Guest

    IMO, a long zoom (at least 300mm or 10x) is indispensable for nature
    photography and portraits.

    m-m

    M-M, Mar 26, 2005