    steven cole Guest

    I heard someone say early march, and then someone mention it was in the
    fall.

    steven cole, Dec 31, 2004

  2. steven cole

    Darrell Guest

    PMA Spring Show: February 20-23, 2005, Orlando Florida, and PMA Fall Show:
    PMA Fall 2005 Imaging Conference and Mini Trade Show is September 8-11,
    2005, San Diego, California

    So both are right.

    http://www.pmai.org

    Darrell, Dec 31, 2004

  3. steven cole

    steven cole Guest

    Thanks, Ive that bookmarked now. Hmm, wonder what new cameras PMA Spring
    will bring ;-)

    canon 11mp, 1.3x sensor

    nikon/sony 9MP 1.3x sensor

    thats my bet!

    steven cole, Dec 31, 2004
  4. steven cole

    Darrell Guest

    Probably not, Canon seems to be investing in the 1.6X CMOS, witness the
    release of EF-S lenses
    Nikon invested even more in DX format lenses. Nikon's Chairmant did suggest
    DX was here to stay.

    My guesses for 2005 are;

    Expect in FY2005 a 10-12 megapixel Nikon D200 with possibly the same sensor
    as the D2X but in a D100 type body with the 6 megapixel function disabled.
    Nikon will most likely not switch from the DX platform. Other Nikon rumours
    circulating are D90, and D50 dSLR. Expect more DX lenses.

    There are rumours of a new Pentax dSLR. There are 10, 11 and 12 megapixel
    Sony sensors that could find their way into a new Pentax. Rumour hints at a
    Maxxum 9D with a similar sensor. Pentax today dropped their prices on some
    product, but I didn't have time to look at the memo. Economy of scale hints
    at that sensor appearing in several (non Nikon) products. Surprise may be a
    Pentax 645 based dSLR with the 22-Megapixel Trueframe CCD
    http://www.dalsa.com/pi/products/productdetails.asp?ProductID=FTF4052C
    Pentax has a modern platform (645) that I can't see them dropping. Bronica
    has left the market open for Pentax and Mamiya. Fuji/Hasselblad with Imacon
    will be interesting to watch.

    Canon most likely will replace the Digital Rebel (300D) in Q2 or Q3 FY2005.
    As the300D will be 2 years old, which is old by Canon's standards. Probably
    a stripped 20D dSLR, also expect more EF-S lenses.

    Darrell Larose
    Ottawa, Canada

    Darrell, Dec 31, 2004
  5. A 22 MP medium format digital is exciting to imagine - but, just out of
    curiosity - what would the file size of such a beast be? About 70 meg?
    So if you have a 1G card in there, it would hold 14 images? Is my math
    right?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Dec 31, 2004
  6. steven cole

    Darrell Guest

    Which is why CF cards are made up to 12 GB at the moment. I suspect these
    studio toys will most likely be run tethered either via a hard wire or
    wireless in a studio.

    Darrell, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Actually, what I said is true only for uncompressed files. If you did a
    high quality jpeg the file size might be more like 25 megs, which would
    mean more like 40 pix on a 1G card. I could live with that, especially
    for the occasions that such a camera would be used for. Even weddings
    would be tolerable, if you figure 200 images per event.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 1, 2005
  8. steven cole

    Bill Hilton Guest

    A 22 MP medium format digital is exciting to imagine - but, just out of
    An 8 bit tiff file would indeed be around 66 MB but the RAW file (which is what
    you'd store on the CF card) would be closer to 20 MB.
    I typically get close to 100 RAW files on a 1 GB card from my 11 Mpix 1Ds so
    you'd probably get around 50 with a 22 MPix back. 2 GB cards would hold 100
    shots and cards this size are not too expensive right now.
    According to the Canon 1Ds manual a Large/Fine jpeg (highest quality) would
    average 4.1 MBytes for an 11 Mpix image.
    Double it for 22 Mpix and you'd get 125 pix on a 1 GB card.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jan 1, 2005
  9. Thanks - not bad, really.

    Of course, they will be giving away these cameras just for the sale of
    memory cards, right?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jan 1, 2005
  10. steven cole

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Noooo, but it does often work the other way around... The price of
    cards has fallen by a factor of 4 since I bought a new camera last January.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2005