When is Microsoft going to support x64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm getting real sick of this. Everything that Microsoft/Windows puts out has
    almost no support for WinXP-Pro x64!!!

    # They have a "nifty" tool to see if your computer will run Vista. But not
    for x64
    # There are a lot of "Live" tools that they have developed. The
    # only one that I can find that works is Windows Defender.
    # IE6 is the browser that is installed. I hope that it dose not go bad,
    because there is no way to reinstall. Yeah I know IE7, but have you tried it?
    # There are two IE, x32 and x64. But you can't use the IEx64 to update
    Windows.
    # I know Microsoft can't make other companies get drivers for x64, but you
    would think that they would make drivers for there own stuff.
    # Windows Media Player 10 is installed, but if it brakes, forget
    reinstall. Windows Media Player 11 is not for x64, so forget that.
    # SP2, what? on x64? you have got to be kidding me!

    Sorry, I'll go back to hacking like a good Borg
    </rant>

    Guest, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Guest

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Some of these are not as big problems as you make them out to be. I think
    x64 support is pretty good.

    # They have a "nifty" tool to see if your computer will run Vista. But not
    for x64
    # IE6 is the browser that is installed. I hope that it dose not go bad,
    because there is no way to reinstall. Yeah I know IE7, but have you tried
    it?
    # SP2, what? on x64? you have got to be kidding me!
    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Microsoft is like every other huge organization - not everyone is on the
    same page. That being said, your complaints aren't really accurate in
    several respects.

    * SP2? -- it's already in there. x64 Edition is based on Server 2003 SP1,
    which shipped AFTER SP2, and it includes all the enhancements of XP SP2.
    * Upgrade checker -- yes, it won't run on x64. OTOH, 64bit Vista will be a
    _clean install only_. No direct upgrade path, though there will be upgrade
    pricing. And, as a good starting point - virtually any machine that is
    running x64 today will run Vista 64-bit.
    * Re-install things like IE6 and Media Player 10? Sure you can - that's what
    the original install media is for.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 28, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    tell me about it. whats the point of havin x64 if nothin works on it in the
    first place.
    rant rant

    Guest, Sep 28, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have Vista 64 bit build 5728 and Windows media Player works fine.
    Colin

    Guest, Sep 28, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE and soon you will see the benefits when the
    drivers become avilable via the outside companies. 64bit is in many ways more
    benficial compared to 32 bit. Patience allow the other companies to catch up
    with appropriate drivers then watch the performance of your pc via 64bit
    compared to 32bit.

    Guest, Oct 11, 2006