    Are we getting THAT old?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 20, 2007

  2. Uh-huh.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2007

  3. shadow

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Well, as the other guys reminisce about their mis-spent youth with Vic-20s,
    Commodore 64s, Sinclairs and the like (Altair, anyone?), all I can say about
    your question, aside from the fact that I don't know exactly what you are
    asking, is that I have no knowledge of Microsoft's plans.

    Tom

    {Snip}

    Tom Ferguson, Dec 20, 2007
  4. shadow

    shadow Guest

    So MVP is there news about developer making windows 64-bit backwared with
    32-bit windows on windows 7 or is it is it going to be like Windows Vista we
    have to wait for a service pack to see

    shadow, Dec 20, 2007
  5. shadow

    Zootal Guest

    Stop, stop, I'm beginning to really feel my age. My first computer actually
    was a TS-1000....but IIRC, it had 4KB of ram, not 2 that wikipedia says it
    had. I could be wrong, that was a long time ago, after all....Hmm, my main
    workstation today has 4GB of ram, my first computer had .000004GB of ram...

    Does anyone here want to hear about how when I got my FCC General class
    license, how most of the test was on tube circuitry? We didn't do much with
    those new-fangled transistor thingys back then. Tubes just worked so much
    better <ggggg>

    Zootal, Dec 20, 2007
  6. The radar sets I works on in the Air Force had both mini-tubes and
    transistors.

    "Zootal" <Don't send me any freaking spam at zootal dot com remove the don't

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2007
  7. Naturally - if you program by 'hardwiring', tubes are a lot better!

    Tony. . .

    Tont Sperling, Dec 20, 2007
  8. Seeing that 'backward compatibility' was flushed out with DOS, aren't we
    going to be much more concerned about forward compatibility?

    Tony. . .

    Tont Sperling, Dec 20, 2007
  9. shadow

    Carlos Guest

    Let us not forget the Texas Instruments TI99/4A personal computer.
    It was 16 bit when the rest was 8 bit.

    Tubes are great for audio, much better than transistors.
    The reason is very, but very simple.
    When they reach distortion, they do it with even harmonics which happen to
    be pleasant to the ear.
    Transistors generate odd harmonics when distorting and that accounts for
    their harsh sound.
    The ear doesn't like odd harmonics.

    The last tube variety that was still standing, the CRT, is slowly dying due
    to the fast advance of LCD.
    Long live the tube!

    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 20, 2007
  10. I still have a working HP 67 which had 256 bytes of memory and it don't
    think it is even 8-bits.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 20, 2007
  11. Oh, yes - I was a great fan of those kinds of tubes. I had a batch of french
    military tubes that were built for radar equipment, they were absolutely
    fantastic! I don't know if age has had an influence, or if computer aided
    filtering techniques changed enough but now I cannot say that I can actually
    hear a significant difference any longer - the days are definitely (and
    sadly) gone when I would like to invest in a Huffmann amp. I miss both
    interpretations of their friendly glow!

    Tony. . .

    (P.S. - I have no idea what happened to my signature - I tried to change it
    but it refuses to be corrected)

    Tont Sperling, Dec 20, 2007
  12. There are already ways to be fully compatible with 32 bit Windows in 64bit
    Windows. Programs like Virtual Server and Virtual PC, for example, create an
    entire 32-bit emulated environment in which any 32-bit program can run.
    They're slower than those that will run natively in WOW64, but you can even
    run 16 bit applications in a virtual machine.

    I would be astonished if MS chose to do anything additional to the next
    version of Windows to increase support for 32-bit programs beyond what
    they're already doing. There will, certainly, be better and faster
    virtualization technologies in it - the new Hyper-V of Windows Server 2008
    is a huge step forward in that direction, though it's still lacking key
    features that I think are necessary.

    MS has already announced that the next version of Windows Server will NOT be
    available in 32bit. Good. There has stopped being any good reason for
    running 32-bit on Servers. But I strongly suspect that the next version of
    the Windows Client OS will still have a 32-bit version. I may be wrong, and
    MS certainly hasn't committed one way or another, but there have been
    enough hints that they'll draw the line for server but give clients one more
    round.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 20, 2007
  13. shadow

    Greegor Guest

    I built an Altair 8800B in 1978. It was not like a Heathkit.

    I USED and supported a VERY large number of early "Microcomputers".

    I was heavily involved in the C64 (1983) and XT clone (1985)
    explosions.

    In each case I was heavily immersed, eating sleeping and breathing
    that market.

    I found it interesting that somebody ridiculed the C64 because
    properly
    cabled to the 1702 monitor it actually BEAT early IBM CGA (RGB) video.

    I also found it interesting that somebody taunted about Beta video
    tape.
    But the Beta story is really about how lower technology (VHS)
    triumphed
    over technically superior (digital!) Beta technology because of COST
    and marketing strategy.

    Beta is STILL not dead in TV studios.

    I have seen heavily hyped products that were garbage.
    I have seen "sleeper" products, hardly mentioned that ROCKED!
    I have seen really good stuff that got overlooked completely.
    I have seen what looks like the myth about lemmings going over a
    cliff.

    I got to perform an ""autopsy"" on a 3 year old early Plasma TV.
    (3 year life expectancy on a $5000 TV? No thanks! )
    (They're supposed to have a better life expectancy now.)

    A huge part of computer purchasing is about EGO even today.
    With my background I am amused that people see their
    computer as an extension of their male private parts,
    similar to the bragging people do on fancy cars.

    If you surveyed the public about Vista I would bet that
    most people mistakenly think that Vista is already a 64 bit OS.

    shadows comments might be because of this misperception.
    People want instant gratification and at the same time don't
    want something that will be out of date tomorrow.

    As the PC platform has somewhat stabilized,
    I personally think that people are less satisfied
    with planned obsolescence on the old timetable.
    As the technology gets more powerful there is
    still a market force trying to grab onto something
    that will last LONGER than the old standard
    3 years old and throw it away mentality.

    The Green stuff is not ONLY about eco kooks.

    Making stuff that goes in the landfill when it's
    only 3 years old is getting old.

    Economics is an issue.

    I am posting this from a 2001 era PC that was literally
    pulled out of a dumpster three years ago.

    I am studying XP x64 and Vista but VERY CAREFULLY.

    Greegor, Dec 20, 2007
  14. shadow

    shadow Guest

    Your right I just don't want to be out of date on newer technology and I see
    64-bit looks Promising for a new OS with backware 32-bit computing, I... just
    want to be in the loop

    shadow, Dec 20, 2007
  15. shadow

    Greegor Guest

    Shadow:

    Don't buy "cutting edge" technology unless you have money to burn.

    On the "bang for buck" rating scale, how would you honestly
    score the "cutting edge" 64 bit hardware?

    You complained yourself about the level of support for x64 technology.

    Have you noticed that a lot of people who do own 64 bit technology
    are not running a 64 bit OS?

    When you buy a car, is it all about ego and bragging rights?

    You can expect that a goodly percentage of people who
    talk up the very latest technology have almost turned
    their investment into a cult like religion.

    If your ego ever tugs at you when you see the pretty
    cars go by somewhere, just remember that most
    cars are actually owned BY THE BANK.

    Instead of the toys being a projection of your male ego,
    turn it around and realize that more often than not the
    fancy car means that the bank has somebody's
    nuts in a vice. Why should that boost somebody's ego?

    What kind of car do you drive?
    Does the BANK own it?
    How much of what you pay is INTEREST?

    As you've noticed (system 7) there is always
    a new "King of the hill" but sometimes it's more
    like the Emporer is wearing no clothes.

    In the case of computers, software would be the ""clothes"".

    What kind of investment have you made in software?
    What kind of dollar amount and how long do you think
    it will be current enough to actually use?

    I think Gates and company have become WAY too smug.

    If Linux transitions WELL to 64 bit technology and
    kicks MS around it would be hilarious!

    Greegor, Dec 21, 2007
  16. shadow

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry, but Colin is already immensely respected around here, but it is
    palpable that his literate style and subtle humour are miles above the heads
    of many of the late comers to this group. Truly sad that this group has
    degenerated to the level of a kindergarten food squabble.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2007
  17. There will always be a few. But _we_ know the good ones, and can ignore the
    others. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 21, 2007
  18. shadow

    Tony Harding Guest

    Unlike you, I'm afraid. Geez, what did Colin ever do?

    Tony Harding, Dec 23, 2007
  19. shadow

    Tony Harding Guest

    Tony Harding, Dec 23, 2007
  20. shadow

    Tony Harding Guest

    Speaking of tubes <g>, I encountered my first computer at the tender age
    of 16. It was an IBM 650 with drum memory. Memory access was slow enough
    that the instruction format included the address of the next instruction
    (no NSI here).

    Tony Harding, Feb 12, 2008