When is 100% not 100%?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have recently changed my FSB/multiplier on my CPU. It used to run at
    133FSB X 16 multi, 1.825vcore for 2.13GHz. Athlon XP1800+ Tbred-B. I had no
    choice as one of my memory modules (Dual-channel mode) was PC2100 (2 X
    256MB). I now have two PC3200 modules and have changed the settings to
    200FSB X 10.5 for 2.1 GHz and have been able to drop the vcore to 1.80 volts
    and still have it run stably. I see a slight improvement in both CPU and
    memory scores in PCMark 2002. (It won't do 11X even at 1,850 vcore, the
    highest setting available to me without pin-mods, I think I have reached the
    capabilities of my CPU).

    However, running at 100% (SETI or Prime95) my CPU temp had gone up nearly
    5°C compared with 100% load previously with the CPU running slightly faster
    and with a higher vcore. I find this paradoxical. I have since rectified the
    problem at the expence of extra fan noise.

    What would explain this phenomena? Isn't 100% in fact 100%? Would the
    (presumed) faster through-put account for this?

    Just curiousity, I actually expected lower CPU (diode) temps, particularly
    as I was able to lower vcore.

    Thanks for any input.

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    Even though I follow a lot of over clocking stories and stuff online, I
    have no idea(although I tend to agree with your assumption), try some of
    the overclocking ngs, they will have more idea than we will(well,
    supposedly)

    T.N.O., Dec 6, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks. I posted this to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking as well. Just
    thought I'd try here as well.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2003