    these things? I'm concerned some of this stuff is toxic-- made out of
    some really awful waste materials. I hope some third world country
    isn't using these things as a way to dispose of their undesirables...

    kdd21, Jun 16, 2005

  2. kdd21

    jtc Guest

    Someone farted in the DVD cases

    jtc, Jun 16, 2005

  3. kdd21

    RichA Guest

    Who KNOWS what garbage they put into the formulas when
    they make these things in the Orient? They have no pollution
    or content laws there. The case could contain anything from arsenic
    to lead to PCBs. About three years ago, Walmart had to dispose of
    hundreds of thousands of window blinds because when exposed to the sun
    they turned slowly to powder that contained lead and then entered the
    air people breathed. 10 years ago, a supply of cotton cloth from
    India that showed up at the docks in New York had anthrax in it.
    Vinyl computer power cords and connection cords are still the main
    source of airborn lead contamination, because there are NO laws where
    they are made.

    RichA, Jun 16, 2005
  4. I have a couple of non-mainstream titles lately that smell the same
    way. My assumption was that there had been a warehouse fire and that
    these discs had not taken water or heat damage (they played and looked
    fine), but absorbed the wonderful smells. If you've ever been around a
    fireman in his turnout gear, it smells much the same way (provided he's
    been in a burning building or two). This is all just a guess. It
    could be evil petrochemicals from evil foreign countries.

    -beaumon

    lorincantrell, Jun 18, 2005
  5. kdd21

    kdd21 Guest

    Actually, I rather doubt the explanation is a warehouse fire. The
    reason is, I have noticed the same smell, just lesser intensity in
    dozens of DVD's I've purchased (I buy a lot of DVDs) from a wide
    variety of sources. Some don't quite smell as much like burning as
    others, but it's prevalence leads me to believe it's the result of the
    materials used in manufacturing or the manufacturing process. Clear
    DVD cases BTW, never have this problem, only the black ones, and not
    all black ones smell by any means, but many do.

    This particular DVD I immediately removed along with the paper insert,
    aired them out (they smell too, just from being inside the offending
    case for so long) and placed them in an Alpha clear case. Someone
    really ought to have some of these worst offenders tested for toxic
    materials. I sure wouldn't want to let my kids chew on any of these...

    kdd21, Jun 23, 2005
  6. kdd21

    Joe McC Guest

    But you'd be ok letting them chow down on the non-smelly ones? :)

    Maybe it's an anti-chewing protection system - an added stench, just like
    the odor added to natural gas ....("Kids, dont munch on this DVD case!!!)

    Joe

    Joe McC, Jun 23, 2005
  7. kdd21

    Baldyman Guest

    The smell simply comes from the fact that the cases are made from
    recycled plastic. It is the recycling which gives them that slightly
    burnt smell. You can notice the same thing if you go to a store or
    supermarket that uses recycled plastic bags.

    Baldyman, Jun 24, 2005