  1. asdf

    PTRAVEL Guest

    Well, apparently I recalled right. ;)

    PTRAVEL, Jul 7, 2004

  2. asdf

    Azzz1588 Guest

    And people wonder where our fredoom has gone over the years........

    Azzz1588, Jul 8, 2004

  3. A larger percentage of Americans have more freedom now than they did
    50 or 100 or 200 years ago.

    Matt Silberstein, Jul 8, 2004
  4. asdf

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Actually, very little has changed. The current situation greatly
    resembles that of the late nineteenth century.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 9, 2004
  5. Not for women or for blacks, who make up a majority of the population.

    Just to make it clear to those who don't know American history. In the
    19th century women could not vote, they could not own property, they
    could not be doctors or lawyers or most professions. Married women
    could not make contracts, they could not legally prevent their
    husbands from raping them (this did not change until the 1960's or
    later). Blacks had similar de facto, if not de jure restrictions.

    So, yes, much has changed.

    Matt Silberstein, Jul 9, 2004
  6. asdf

    Mxsmanic Guest

    They had more freedoms 40 years ago.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 9, 2004
  7. So now the turning point is 1964. Did the Civil Rights act somehow
    make things worse for blacks? Was it better when they could not vote,
    could not drink from white's only drinking fountains, could sit at
    counters with whites, go to white schools? Was it better for women
    when their husbands could legally have sex with them against their
    will? Were women and blacks more free when they were blocked from most
    professions and most economic advancement?

    Matt Silberstein, Jul 9, 2004