Whats this piec of hardware called?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Greetings and salutations,

    At work I have seen that it it possible to set up a single keyboard, mouse and
    monitor so they can be switched between multiple rack-mounted servers. This is
    done by using a device to which everything is connected.

    What is this device called? Are there models available cheap enough for use at

    I currently have two PCs but have acquired a third older box that has a
    reasonably big hard drive. I want to set this box up as a backup device to the
    two other PC. I don't have a monitor for it - hence the need outlined above so
    that I can look into acquiring the needed hardware.

    Crash, Dec 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Crash

    Shane Guest

    KVM Box
    Shane, Dec 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Many thanks.

    Crash, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Crash

    Enkidu Guest

    If you don't want to buy hardware, you could use VNC to access the
    headless box. Just run the server part on the box and client part on
    another box.


    Enkidu, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Thanks. I had not thought of that because vnc can only be used if the server is
    up and running on the network. However not being up on the network is rarity so
    I could physically connect keyboard, monitor and mouse in these circumstances.

    I take it you are suggesting VNC from www.realvnc.com? I will try the free version.

    Crash, Dec 10, 2005
  6. Crash

    Mark C Guest

    UltraVNC may be slightly better.
    Mark C, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Crash

    David Guest

    If its running windows (not xp home edition) You will probably find the
    built-in 'remote desktop' even better again.
    David, Dec 10, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.