    performer.

    Mine was a praktica, it was very inexpensive but i took some of the
    best pictures ever (documenting special moments in my life) on it.

    Mike Henley, May 17, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Irwell Guest

    I had a refurbished Ricoh, about 60% less that the new models.
    Gave excellent service, still working after twenty years.

    Irwell, May 17, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    Frank ess Guest

    Mid-80s I bought a Vivitar fixed-focus 35mm camera that served a similar
    purpose, made thousands of for-the-record records, very well-exposed and
    sharp enough for 3x5s to pass around and stick in the albums. It was
    still working perfectly when I loaned it out for the 'teenth time and it
    went away, just a year ago. I have forgotten the model designation, but
    it cost less than $20 1980 money, and I called it the Anvil.

    Now, how about the sourest? The sheep in wolf's clothing. Some kind of
    Ricoh monstrosity, auto everything from the early 90s. It had this
    flimsy aluminum lens cover that opened-or was supposed to-when you
    turned on the camera. With essentially just a breath of pressure it was
    warped and rendered the camera useless (they kept it only a week while
    the repair was made). Plus which, it took an *expensive* proprietary
    battery that didn't last long enough to justify its price, AND if the
    battery ran out in the middle of a roll of film, insertion of a new
    power unit caused the camera to rewind the film into the cartridge,
    never to be recovered before development. Is Ricoh still in business?

    Frank ess, May 17, 2004
  4. Mike Henley

    DD Guest

    When the Japanese were just getting recognition in the camera market I
    bought one of the first [2.25" x 2.25"] twin lens reflex cameras
    imported into England. It was a Rollei clone called the Echoflex. At the
    time I was working in a laboratory that had a big photographic section
    and several Rollei's that were considered to be unbeatable in an
    industrial environment. My new acquisition was put through its [optical]
    paces and proved to be as good as, if not better than the results
    returned by a typical Rollei. There were some disadvantages though, it
    had a manually cocked shutter with no interlocking to prevent double
    exposures!
    DD

    DD, May 17, 2004

  5. My 1960s Minolta SRT-101 35mm SLR with the big glass (still got it, still
    use it!)

    Daniel Dravot, May 17, 2004
  6. Mike Henley

    Peter Jones Guest

    Olympus Stylus Epic - less than $100, but takes very sharp photos with
    good colour and exposure. Not a crap camera, but definitely cheap.

    Peter
    Everything about Vancouver, Canada
    http://www.YourVancouver.com
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm

    Peter Jones, May 17, 2004
  7. Mike Henley

    bagal Guest

    gosh - ages ago

    remember those little cameras with little lenses and film cartridges that
    slotted in the back?

    great for capturing moments though

    bagal, May 17, 2004
  8. Mike Henley

    Tom Monego Guest

    A little Fuji 1400, don't know why but I take better pics with that camera
    than my digital Nikon or Canon 35mm. Still use my Leicas and 4x5. But for
    every day pics the Fuji 1400 seems to always find a good pic.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, May 17, 2004
  9. Mike Henley

    Gonzo Guest

    I still have it and it takes better pictures than my current Kobian 3.1
    camera...

    It's a 1.3 Oregon Scientific Dshot III camera. $30-$60 at Wally World. Now
    discontinued.
    Even other camera owners have commented on the quality of the pictures.

    Gonzo, May 17, 2004
  10. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    Steve too seems to like it
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/fuji1400_pg2.html#conclusion

    Mike Henley, May 18, 2004
  11. Mike Henley

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:
    Mine was a Yashicamat 124 (?), c. 1967; that large 2.25" negative hid a
    multitude of sins.

    It replaced another piece of junk, a Tamron 35mm rangefinder which died a
    horrible death when it preceded me down a flight of stairs into a NY
    subway station when the bottom of the leather case fell out because the
    threads had rotted away.

    I never again carried any camera in its case.

    Bert Hyman, May 18, 2004
  12. I have happy memories of my Praktica too. Mind you, I was on my third one
    before the store managed to find me one which actually worked. I didn't
    mind too much because it was a more recent model than the one I had
    originally paid for.

    I am currently blissfully happy with my 2.1Mp digital. I bought one of the
    last Oly C2100UZs in the South of England before supplies finally ran out.

    Many people scoff and call 2.1Mp "crappy" by modern standards but you can
    keep your 6/8/10 whatever Mp. I've got my 10x, stabilised, optical zoom
    which I wouldn't swap for 100 Mp.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, May 18, 2004
  13. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    Those prakticas are sweet cams, aren't they?

    Mike Henley, May 18, 2004
  14. Mike Henley

    Simon Smith Guest

    I've got a 1954 Fed. It's a copy of a Leica II. I love it.

    Simon Smith, May 19, 2004
  15. Mike Henley

    BigFoot14W Guest

    what's the sweetest crappy camera you had?

    No question.....Olympus XA!!!
    It went all over the world with me. Got dropped, stepped on, etc. Fit easily
    in a pocket, and took pictures that looked great even at poster size. With
    practice you could change the ISO setting to override the automatic meter.
    Metering of sunsets was SPECTACULAR!!!!

    I still have the carcass....couldn't bear to part with it...

    --Bigfoot

    BigFoot14W, May 19, 2004
  16. Mike Henley

    lbt Guest

    (Simon Smith) wrote in
    Just wondering, do you have a favorite lens that you use
    with this camera and can you suggest any to avoid ?

    tia

    lbt, May 19, 2004
  17. Mike Henley

    Robert Guest

    (BigFoot14W) wrote in
    Hands down, you're right. That little lens renders the sky
    and the puffy convectives that float by here in the high
    desert like none other. Mine hasn't broken yet. I'm dreading
    the day it does.

    Bob

    Robert, May 19, 2004
  18. Mike Henley

    Jim Garner Guest

    I actually answered this question a few weeks ago, but lemme do it again.

    I had a $50 Vivitar, plastic with three speeds and bulb and maybe four
    aperture settings. Nothing automatic, but it had a built-in light meter.

    The slides were just as good as those taken by a Konica that cost seven
    times as much. I used it on trips for 18 years before it finally died.

    I'm waiting for Vivitar to market a digicam at the same price and quality.

    Jim Garner, May 19, 2004
  19. Mike Henley

    Simon Smith Guest

    I have the standard 50mm f3.5 collapsible lens which came with the
    camera. I was also recently given a 50mm Zorki f2 - but haven't tried
    it yet. I haven't got any recommendations (though I'm certain that
    others will).

    Simon Smith, May 19, 2004
  20. Mike Henley

    Tom Monego Guest

    I had a Leica IIIF and put a 25mm Nikkor f4 on it, would fit in a jacket
    pocket. Did a lot of street photography with that. The lens adds about 1/4 of
    an inch to the thickness of the camera. Canon also makes a 25mm screw mount,
    it is more common than the Nikkor, about the same size.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, May 19, 2004