    David. And every other time, someone will type N and B... "I thought
    you said N as in uhhh... November B as in uhhh Blue."

    Does the military have these problems??

    Evan Platt, Jul 14, 2005

  2. It's so that slack jawed, yokels like you can order takeout food over the
    phone and hope to get what you wanted.

    HTH

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Sour worm abscess and marmoset abdomen vinegar festered inside curdled
    budgerigar hymen, arranged in a circulating pail filled with big croutons of
    almond and unidentified floaty bits with specks of crab in feculent live
    mosquito larvae juice, a side of olives and a can of jellied fish.

    Lord Cleland Blatherdale-Femmerdan, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Evan Platt

    Billy B. Guest

    I never have a problem with end users understanding phonetics. Maybe that
    dick in your mouth is preventing you from speaking clearly.

    Billy B., Jul 14, 2005
  4. Evan Platt

    Old Gringo Guest

    No

    Old Gringo, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Evan Platt

    DLT Guest

    I know where you're coming from but every now and then you will come
    across someone who listens and someone who can use the phonetic
    alphabet. When you come across that person you will realise the point
    of the phonetic alphabet. Especially useful for such things like
    serial numbers.

    Rgrds

    DLT

    DLT, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Some people are terminally stupid, Evan.
    I wouldn't think so for specialties. You probably would see the same
    thing (with about the same mix) with Private Joe Infantryman, No Other
    Talents.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Evan Platt

    malacy finn Guest

    The point of the phonetic alphabet is for the military to speak to
    non-English speaking nations over voice circuits and to ensure the message
    is read and understood.

    malacy finn, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Evan Platt

    Old Gringo Guest

    If they are non English speaking, how are they going to know what F
    Foxtrot means?

    Old Gringo, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Evan Platt

    Sunny Guest

    Wrong. The whole point is, to avoid errors (non English speaking nations
    don't use English among themselves)

    Sunny, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Evan Platt

    Scraggy Guest

    1.May I suggest you use the STANDARD phonetic alphabet.

    C= Charlie, M = Mike, D = Delta.

    http://www.dynamoo.com/technical/phonetic.htm

    2.No, they don't.

    Scraggy, Jul 14, 2005
  11. Evan Platt

    Gordon Guest

    The standard phonetic alphabet is international - every single pilot (for
    example) whatever language they speak, uses the international phonetic
    alphabet

    Gordon, Jul 14, 2005
  12. Evan Platt

    Gordon Guest

    yes - bad radio comms, extraneous noise, (such as weapons going off etc
    etc) all mean that you need to have a standard method of spelling words
    that could sound like another.
    Remember the old WW1 joke? "Send reinforcements I'm going to advance"
    became "Send three and fourpence - I'm going to a dance!"

    Gordon, Jul 14, 2005
  13. Evan Platt

    old jon Guest

    Bloody hell G. that dates you. That was the first world war. (Or one of
    `em). <g>.

    old jon, Jul 14, 2005
  14. Evan Platt

    malacy finn Guest

    Submarines have an internal tank called "Q' tank which holds 4 tons of
    water. It is used to go deep quickly with the order 'FLOOD 'Q'. This is
    why you cannot say F*** YOU in the control room.

    malacy finn, Jul 14, 2005
  15. Evan Platt

    malacy finn Guest

    ">> If they are non English speaking, how are they going to know what FYou don't have to know what it means you just take the message and pass it
    on to the command. Even numbers are phonetisised i.e. FOWER, FIFE, NINER
    etc

    malacy finn, Jul 14, 2005
  16. Evan Platt

    malacy finn Guest

    All and I mean All major joint military exercises, whether they be Naval,
    Air or army use the English language for communicating and they all know and
    use the phonetic alphabet both numerical (see above) and alphabetically.

    Just for your info, all military signal traffic use GMT (Greenwich Mean
    Time) for the time of the signal. This is written as such
    150200ZJUL05, Fifteenth day of July 2005 at 2am GMT. This way they don't
    have to worry about working out the time in different parts of the world.

    malacy finn, Jul 14, 2005
  17. Evan Platt

    Gordon Guest

    ROTFLMAO!

    Gordon, Jul 15, 2005
  18. Evan Platt

    Gordon Guest

    Good old Zulu Time! Just like Zulu Muster.......

    Gordon, Jul 15, 2005
  19. Evan Platt

    Gordon Guest

    Wait for the response....Foxtrot Oscar!