    Stickems Guest

    Is there a standard for this, it doesn't look like there is. Whatever
    resolution I use I find some pages to be too large and others too small.

    Stickems, Aug 26, 2003

  2. Stickems

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Stickems tried to scribble ...
    Nowadays I'd guess 800 x 600, but 640 x 480 is still very common .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Aug 26, 2003

  3. Stickems

    why? Guest

    None.

    It's always possible to add some resolution detection code, and create
    pages on the fly to fit. That's if the particular scripting language is
    enabled on the end users device to allow it to run.

    Even then it's not always the case the browser window is at max size,
    then different browsers have different visible size windows by the time
    the right/left top/bottom tools bars are taken into account.

    Then there are all the tablets, WAP and handhelds have different
    requirements.

    <rant>
    The HTML coder should also try to stick to standards so it's easier for
    the end user device (or end user) to format the page as required while
    retaining the important information.

    The worst thing is having to scroll sideways, because people design
    pages on 19/21" monitors with the design window at max and fixed width
    tables or very wide banners.
    </rant>

    Have a look in this newsgroup -
    and the archived posts