What's the easiest way to transfer RAW files?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Kozlowski, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. I've been shooting JPEG with my 300D, but just bought a copy of
    Photoshop CS, and want to start shooting RAW.

    The way I've been downloading images onto my computer is via a USB
    card reader and Windows XP's entirely satisfactory "Camera and Scanner
    Wizard", which makes it fast and easy to grab all the images off a
    card, put them in a named location, and delete them off the card. But
    it seems that the Wizard doesn't pop up when you've got a card full of
    RAW files, so I have to use Explorer to manually transfer files over,
    which is a real pain.

    So, my questions:

    1. Is there any way I can make Windows XP recognize that .CRW files
    should trigger the Camera/Scanner Wizard? (This would be my
    preferred solution.)

    2. Failing that, is there any way I can use Photoshop to automate the
    download process? Its browser looks reasonable enough, but I
    couldn't for the life of me find a way to copy/move files in it.

    3. Failing _that_, is there any other software that's good for this
    purpose? I've tried to avoid installing Canon's software, as part
    of my general aversion to software written by hardware companies,
    but if people say it's good (and will work with a card reader,
    rather than with the camera directly), maybe I'll try it. Any
    third-party stuff that's super-awesome?

    Mike Kozlowski, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Here is what I used to do...

    Cam2PC.com to upload to a folder that it creates and names based on the date
    of the shooting. But, Cam2PC has bloated so the earlier version is better.

    What I do now is let Adobe DNG converter pull the RAW files off the card and
    convert them to DNG and put them in a folder. From that folder I process the
    RAW/DNG to PSD and save the DNG to CD when I have enough to fill one. The
    only problem here is that this means an extra step of erasing the card...but
    the other benefits offset this. My DNG folder is listed as a favorite in PS

    Gene Palmiter, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Mike Kozlowski

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Dec 18, 2004
  4. You don't need the wizard. Just open the USB card as a disk drive in My
    Computer, and drag the files where you want them!

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 18, 2004
  5. er, I mean CompactFlash card.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Mike Kozlowski

    Graham Guest

    Try "Transferer"

    http://www.dps.uk.com/freeware_transferer.htm

    Graham, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Thanks for the advice. I tried Breeze Downloader Pro, and it pretty
    much worked, but Cam2PC works a little bit better and is free
    besides. I wish it had an attractive XP-style interface, but
    functionally, it solidly replicates XP's native capability for
    handling JPEG transfers.

    Mike Kozlowski, Dec 18, 2004