What's the big deal about the oil leak??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jun 18, 2010.

  1. Okay, I realize a few aquatic animals and some birds are going to die.
    That is unfortunate but, it isn't like there won't be more to come along
    and take their place.

    Sure, some spoiled beach combers won't be able to wallow around in the
    surf for a bit and fart in the water. No more searching for seashells
    by the seashore for a year or so, oh no.

    What is all the outrage really about? Not the animals, no one really
    cares that much about freaking birds and snails and a few fish.

    The outrage is all about money. The extremely rich crabbers and
    shrimpers and fishermen won't be raking in the millions for a couple of
    years.

    No more caviar dreams for the fat cats. What's the worst that they will
    have to endure? Maybe they will have to get rid of one of their 9 or 10
    luxury cars? No more expensive champagne and steak? Perhaps the
    children of these shrimpers, etc... might have to wear the same pair of
    shoes for more than a month?

    Give me a break. People are so reactionary and freak out over any
    little thing nowadays.

    Oh yeah, someone in New York or L.A. may not be able to buy fresh
    seafood as cheaply as they used to be able to do. Wow, that is so
    horrible; the world is ending.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jun 18, 2010

  2. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    Tony, Tony Hayward is that really really you?

    Extremely rich crabbers etc.? There ain't no such folk. Most work two jobs
    to make a living, part in fishing part in the oil parch. You can make a
    decent living but you won't get rich.
    That part of the gulf and the Louisiana marshes in particular are the
    nursery of the Gulf. the effect spreads to parts of the Atlantic food chain.

    It takes years for the marshes and the wild life to recover after a
    hurricane and that's a natural event. the impact of oil OTOH takes decades.

    I'm in my late 60's and grew up along the Gulf coast and in the marshes.
    I've seen what can happen and this will be loooong lasting. I've work the
    fishing boats and the oil patch to pay tuition and it ain't a gravy train.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010

  3. No. I just realize that much of the angst and hatred being directed at
    the British is just racism and bigotry. It isn't all about a couple of
    dead fish, not by a long shot.
    I have met some of these guys personally and they are very wealthy. They
    make about 6 or 7 hundred thousand a year, on average. It's ridiculous.
    These are the sad and pitiful little shrimpers, fishermen, etc...
    everyone is so worried about?
    Oil is natural. It isn't like some kind of poising is leaking into the
    water. I mean, oil is from the earth. Now, I could see the outrage if
    some type of man made pesticide was leaking, but oil? Come on.
    See above.
    That was way back in the dark ages though. They are all filthy rich now
    and make 1000 times more than what they used to when you were young.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jun 18, 2010
  4. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    I see no hatred of the British people. BP OTOH ... As to Brits, one of my
    grand kids is married to one and trust me she has more real world experience
    and common sense than you are exhibiting.
    I grew up in the area and my extended family has made it's living in the
    marshes and oil field for near 80 years. Like I said those folk are NOT
    money rich despite your experience meeting a few rich people.
    Pesticides are MADE in large part from petroleum products. Raw crude will
    burn the skin off your arms and hands in quick order. Fumes will blister
    your lungs.
    Since this seems to be a recent interaction name a few, hell name one
    (likely I know the family so be careful name dropping) that makes their
    living hands on and not jobbing seafood.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  5. Let's not make this about me. I never claimed to be more intelligent
    than all British people. The few times I have been to London, I do seem
    to tower intellectually over the ones I have spoken to. They are a
    pretty nasty and dumbed down peoples, generally.

    Back to the subject at hand, there is quite a lot of anti-British
    sentiment currently circulating. If you don't know about it, you don't
    get out much.
    You probably just hung around some of them that drank a lot and spent
    their money unwisely. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you
    aren't fiscally responsible. Just look at some modern day athletes.
    Well, dirt will kill you if you eat enough of it and it is not man made.
    What's wrong with dirt? Would everyone be spazzing, like they are now,
    if a few hundred dump trucks full of dirt were emptied in the Gulf? I
    don't think so.

    I'm not sure I buy your statement about raw crude burning human skin off
    anyway. I have seen some videos of pelicans in the oil and they are
    just kind of sloughing around in it. It doesn't seem to burn off their
    feathers.
    Terry Doiron and family

    Mark Chauvin

    Willie Mailett

    Johnny Lavache

    Christie Simoneaux and her 3 children. She is recently divorced.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jun 18, 2010
  6. What about the collapse of the housing market brought on by Democrats
    who believe that everyone in this nation deserves a home whether they
    can pay for it or not?

    That reverberated all across the world. Seems like American Democrats
    should have to pay for that out of their own pockets.

    As much as I dislike the British for their smell and rotten teeth and
    vulgar manners, I have to agree with you on this one.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jun 18, 2010
  7. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    And not a bit egotistical I see. You're better than the Brits and know more
    about Louisiana, the off shore oil business, seafood and the local culture
    than people that were born and raised there based on a brief meeting of a
    few in some capacity or other.

    There is a local saying in the marshes about folk with your world view. "
    .... prone to steal more chain than they can swim with"

    Even so someone is likely to invite you to go water skiing locally known as
    trolling for alligators.
    Perhaps (and I seriously question the general assertion) in the US but not
    in the bayous and mashes of Louisiana where me and mine travel.

    BTW BP has a well earned reputation for cutting corners and taking a yard
    pass on safety. Some violations are at a felony level which may be just one
    of the reason Hayward looks like someone is yanking on his pucker sting.
    These people know how to have a good time, no argument there, but they do
    work hard (likely harder than you have ever experienced) but for the most
    part they are thrifty and take care of each other and are openly friendly to
    visitors from all over. But you know that already being that have toured
    the area extensively enough to experience the culture and economy so well.

    Ask some of your Brit friends that worked for Decca (the radar folk)
    Think Mississippi River which dumps many many tons of dirt in the gulf every
    second. (btw that's how the delta and the marshes came into being).
    Clear indication you know nothing about the problem or what's really going
    on. It's a chemical burn and the birds die before their skin comes off as
    crud oil is highly toxic.

    Hint it's one of the things BP is using to block reporters from viewing the
    mess in the gulf and marshes.

    Tell you what take a rag, soak it in mineral spirits wring it dry and put it
    in your back pocket for 6 to 8 hours then come back and tell us what it's
    like. The local term is Go Go La Rough aka 'red a**'. BTW removing the rag
    after 6 hours won't stop the 'burn' but it will leave you with some skin on
    your a**.

    Not near with raw crude will do but unlikely to do any permanent damage.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  8. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    Exxon did pay but not the true damages, ditto Bhopal, Three Mile Island.
    Which btw had a serious potential for disaster but actual leakage, danger
    and damages were minimal. The latter is according to President Carter who
    visited the site with his wife. Carter, for the record was a navel officer
    with extensive training in running reactors on war ships.

    Since we're talking about EXXON the CEO of that company and a few others of
    the big oil group have taken PB to the wood shed over the handling of Gulf
    incident. As I've said in other post BP has a well earned reputation for
    taking too many short cuts.

    .... they pay their congestion charges and parking fines ... and how deep did
    you have to dig for that tidbit? FWIW (which is not much) it's a common
    problem with all diplomats all over the world just ask the NYPD and city
    fathers.

    As to Iraq, I voted for Bush in his first run for TX gov but not his second
    based on his performance in his first term. I saw nothing in his second
    that recommended him for president and sadly that assessment was sustained.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  9. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    "Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤"

    That eventually was delivered by Texas Senator Phi Gramm (a Bush Republican
    BTW) who slipped a 250 page package of text into must pass legislation that
    essentially gutted all regulation of the banking industry.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  10. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    I try to include something for every one ... enjoy.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  11. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Doug Guest

    Its more than that, the people who are objecting daily use and are
    totally reliant on oil. There is probably a measure of barely
    suppressed guilt in this. A perfect reason to blame the other guy.

    Not that I am sticking up in any way for BP. They caused the spill in
    th first place by catering for those nearby oil users and all the
    rest.

    Doug.

    Doug, Jun 18, 2010
  12. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Greg Goss Guest

    Our first honeymoon (I got married in 96; my first wife got married in
    99.) was to New Orleans and Biloxi. When we were in Biloxi, the beach
    was spotless.

    I suspect that they were doing morning groomings before I got up, but
    it it was as bad as you describe, there would be no point in grooming
    the beach. (Our hotel was on the north side of the highway. The
    beach was public. The hotel was small enough and had its own pool. I
    don't expect that they would have been grooming the beach.)

    Greg Goss, Jun 18, 2010
  13. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    rroger Guest

    What is a "but one trip"? I know what a trip is, but I don't know what
    a "but one" trip is.

    rroger, Jun 18, 2010
  14. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    Look at that news group line:

    rec.sport.football.college,alt.fan.cecil-adams,24hoursupport.helpdesk,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers

    Piss poor attempt at a troll.

    Meat Plow, Jun 18, 2010
  15. Good heavens, why shouldn't this be about you? You accuse others of
    "racism and bigotry," so you already made it personal. Or are you the
    only one that gets to play that game?

    Richard R. Hershberger, Jun 18, 2010
  16. Are you equating BP with the British government? Or Exxon and Union
    Carbide and so on with the US government? If this is not your intent,
    you might productively ruminate for a while on the subject of category
    errors.

    Richard R. Hershberger, Jun 18, 2010
  17. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Jordon Guest

    Yeah, you know us white people. We're racist against everyone.
    Even our own race.

    Jordon, Jun 18, 2010
  18. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    The sand beach is man made and been publicly maintained for at least 50
    years. Muddy color is, in part the result of tides flushing nutrients from
    the marshes/bayous and secondarily because of the slit carried by the
    Mississippi River into the gulf.

    Flotsam is usually the result of people (mostly tourist, sport fisherman and
    some residents) dumping trash over board. Comes from as far away as Florida
    and Mexico. At one time this included medical waste from companies
    collecting trash from hospitals and doctors' offices. In the 50/60s etc this
    include Keesler AFB and the Naval Air Station Pensacola. Some small bit was
    left over from merchant sinking during WWII but that ran out in the early
    60's

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  19. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    NotMe Guest

    Are you equating BP with the British government? Or Exxon and Union
    Carbide and so on with the US government? If this is not your intent,
    you might productively ruminate for a while on the subject of category
    errors.

    }}}

    While there is a symbiotic and well documented interrelation between the
    companies and US (lack of effective) over sight he's grasping for hammer
    points.

    NotMe, Jun 18, 2010
  20. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    OldGringo38 Guest